Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I wrong to think this isn`t fair?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Maybe people should be more concerned about their own points than what others get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

ddef wrote: »
    To be frank, I get more annoyed at the advantage lads living on a farm in the Gaeltacht get.
    Irish A1. Agricultural science A1. Agricultural economics A1.
    That's 300 points off the bat.

plus the extra 10% of whatever mark they get in a lot of other subjects for doing the whole leaving cert through irish.

So if they really got 73% in geography, a B3, they automatically get boosted up to a B1. Nice easy extra 10 points.

laughin all the way to the CAO they are. They're probably on HEAR as well . Good job we have HPAT to keep these boyos away from my body :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

To be frank, I get more annoyed at the advantage lads living on a farm in the Gaeltacht get.
    I know they can't help it, but I'd be more concerned about their 300 point lead to a polish lads 100.
    Tbh if I had to live on a farm in a gaeltacht I would see the 300 points as compensation :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

pathway33 wrote: »
    plus the extra 10% of whatever mark they get in every other subject for doing the whole leaving cert through irish.

So if they really got 73% in geography, a B3, they automatically get boosted up to a B1. Nice easy extra 10 points.

laughin all the way to the CAO they are. They're probably on HEAR as well . Good job we have HPAT to keep these boyos away from my body :D

Please. They have to learn the poetry, prose, drama, stair na teanga and everything else just like we do. I know people that did the LC through Irish and had a hell of a worse time than those of us who go to English-speaking schools - they used English textbooks and had to translate everything themselves. Fair fúcks to them; with the amount of learning they have to put into it (I'm pretty sure you and I learned a whole bunch of new English words for the senior cycle, they had the added stress of learning them, translating them and remembering them - easy? I don't think so) I'm not gonna begrudge them 10%.

Also, a friend of mine is Romanian and was going to do the Romanian exam for the LC, but there are various texts involved, it'd be the same as our English exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I know they can't help it, but I'd be more concerned about their 300 point lead to a polish lads 100.

Summer of '08, I was in the gaeltacht for the Leaving Cert results. About 40 of the locals were getting results,including 2 of the grandchildren of my bean an tí.
    Highest I heard in Irish was a B1, with most of the people I kinda knew getting Cs and B3s. Far from a guaranteed A,certainly. I remember actually how freaked out I was then-I was just about to go into 6th year and thought I was screwed if these fluent speakers were getting Bs and Cs. :p
    Ended up getting a B3 and now that I'm repeating I'm aiming for an A. Because it's entirely down to the individual, not anything else. (Well obviously there are other contributing factors,but you know what I mean.)

Nobody is guaranteed an A1 in anything. Trust me on that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I knew a girl who spoke both English and French fluently, was guaranteed an A1 in French and had an Irish exemption

I hated her :p

I think the fairness depends on how good the person's English is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

People beliving ASTI hype, the leaving cert wouldn't equate with the BAC, on any subject!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Generalise much? Everyone who lives in the Gaeltacht must be fluent Irish and be a farmer! Students who take ag science and ag economics are not allowed count both for points so that combination doesn't exist.

Maybe you could also account for the droves of students in grind schools taking up ag science. To the best of my knowledge none of the grind schools are located in the Gaeltacht.
    plus the extra 10% of whatever mark they get in every other subject for doing the whole leaving cert through irish.

Get your facts right before you start spouting off. A student who sits the exam in Irish gets 10% of the mark they are awarded added on as a bonus up to 70%. Anything higher than that is given less on a sliding scale. So a person getting 73 will not get a B1.

If it's so easy why don't you do your exams in Irish? Then you can avail of the easy points.

I correct leaving cert exams through Irish and more often that not students that were registered to take the Irish paper sit it in English instead, so it's obviously not that easy.

Get your facts right before you start spouting off. A student who sits the exam in Irish gets 10% of the mark they are awarded added on as a bonus up to 70%. Anything higher than that is given less on a sliding scale. So a person getting 73 will not get a B1.

Get your facts right. The sliding scale starts at 75%. A person getting 73% in geography (and many other subjects) will get a B1. Yes I was wrong to think it was every subject. The bonus mark is only 5% in languages (except greek and latin) and mathsy subjects and there's no bonus in art (although obviously there is for history of art) or tech drawing.

Edit: Subjects listed are not the complete list. For anyone genuinely interested go to www.examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Tbh if I had to live on a farm in a gaeltacht I would see the 300 points as compensation :D

Well these replies reek of jealousy.

• Advertisement

not one bit. Good luck to them. It makes no difference to me what someone else gets in their leaving cert. Each student to their own strengths

Students who take ag science and ag economics are not allowed count both for points so that combination doesn't exist.

Is that true? I thought it was the ag economics and economics combination that was excluded

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

How the hell did my post come across as jealous?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Is that true? I thought it was the ag economics and economics combination that was excluded

and also the ag science/ag economics combination because of the ag content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Speaking as someone who got an A1 in Higher French in my Leaving.. I went to France for a summer after that and I understood NOTHING!
    Its not as easy as you may think for this guy. Every exam he will do will be in a foreign language to him and do you know how difficult that will be; how important it is to 'understand the question and know whats being asked'?

So although it may seem unfair say a German guy taking the German exam.. its not really that unfair. Thats why bilingual and trilingual children are appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭Orlaladuck

That 'Gaeltacht' notion is complete Rubbish. My mum is completely fluent in Irish and it's absolutely NO help to me whatsoever. My brother even had an exemption - that was more due to moving countries however but the point is just because you live in a gaeltacht does not make you good at irish! I have numerous cousins and friends up in Connemara, went to a Gaelscoil, speak irish about 80% of the time and they still did Ordinary level Irish. Being able to speak it doesn't enable you to be able to write in it At All. Also a lot of the time they just sub in english words where they don't know the Irish - even very basic vocab you would learn in Higher level.

But returning to the point of this topic - I can see why you'd be annoyed certainly but at the end of the day that could be the only A1 he gets because of the language barrier!

and also the ag science/ag economics combination because of the ag content.

There is no exclusion to a student combining agricultural economics and agricultural science because of the ag content.

Agricultural economics cannot be combined with economics because of the economics content.

Subject Exclusions
    Candidates may not take any of following subject combinations: 1. Physics and Chemistry and either of the separate subjects, Physics or Chemistry.
    2. Economics and Agricultural Economics.
    3. Classical Studies and Latin.
    4. Classical Studies and Ancient Greek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I don't think it's very fair at all. If I was fluent in French, I would find it extremely easy to say stuff like "My name is David, I live in Dublin with my mam in a 3 bedroom house in the suburbs"

Loads of people do it and it's piss easy for them to get a high grade as they have an advantage over the rest of us. Me doing French is about as easy as a French person doing Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I don't think it's very fair at all. If I was fluent in French, I would find it extremely easy to say stuff like "My name is David, I live in Dublin with my mam in a 3 bedroom house in the suburbs"

Loads of people do it and it's piss easy for them to get a high grade as they have an advantage over the rest of us. Me doing French is about as easy as a French person doing Irish.
    Just like you have an advantage over a French speaking person doing the leaving cert when it comes to the other five subjects being examined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Cathal93

Honestly I HATE this Hear idea, someone can get more points than you because they havent enough money. I'm not the most intelligent person in the world, and my place in college might be taken because I'm not under the poverty line?

With the language, it seems unfair. But someone who's good at art, or music, or home ec, or any other practical subjects may have innate talents that others dont so that could be deemed unfair no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

No. Just as unfair as a native Irish speaker taking the Irish exam. Marks for fluency and grammar, regardless of where you learned it.

Jammyc wrote: »
    No. Just as unfair as a native Irish speaker taking the Irish exam. Marks for fluency and grammar, regardless of where you learned it.

What's so unfair about it? What effect has that on you, that would make it unjust for a Gaeilgóir to take the Irish exam? They have an advantage, but by no means is it unfair.

Mayoegian wrote: »
    What's so unfair about it? What effect has that on you, that would make it unjust for a Gaeilgóir to take the Irish exam? They have an advantage, but by no means is it unfair.
    That was err...my point. That no was meant in the way of "no, it's not unfair"

Jammyc wrote: »
    That was err...my point. That no was meant in the way of "no, it's not unfair"

Oops!:o Sorry!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Cathal93 wrote: »
    Honestly I HATE this Hear idea, someone can get more points than you because they havent enough money. I'm not the most intelligent person in the world, and my place in college might be taken because I'm not under the poverty line?

With the language, it seems unfair. But someone who's good at art, or music, or home ec, or any other practical subjects may have innate talents that others dont so that could be deemed unfair no?

Well......Firstly your place is not going to be taken, there is a set amountof places in each college course allocated yearly.....

Secondly, In this sub group If there's 5 places and 20 people going for it, the top 5 get the places...even if they all get over the minimum entry..

and Thirdly...It obviously doesnt mean if you don't have monely you'll lack intelligence because you'd rarely find scumbags in college's, BUT it does in fact play a contributing factor to your education...For example there's a complete lack of standards in my school, like 3 in honours maths and 3 in irish ect. ect. Now, i'm planning on getting the 500 points i need for college, so it doesnt really matter for me But i know for a fact if there was better standards in my school and more of a general mindset of work and study it would effect me and i'd do better.

So don't be a hater, HEAR isn't only for points in anyways,

Mayoegian wrote: »
    Oops!:o Sorry!:)
    Nae problemo.:D

Advertisement