Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meditation??

• 31-01-2010 2:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

Hey. I don't know where the right forum is. Coz i don't really even know what i'm talking about!
    I get very stressed and anxious and angry. I find it very hard to calm down. Sometimes i can't sleep because i can't relax. My heart beats really hard.
    I was wondering if anyone knows any relaxation techniques or if meditation and stuff works.
    I've never tried anything like that so basically any suggestions would be good.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It works, but sometimes you have to tackle the causes of your anger and stress before you really get anywhere. It may be hard to cool your mind down otherwise.

You could try a meditation cd, but Im wary of that, cos the wrong one will have you swearing at the player... :) Dunno if you are male or female, but yoga is a good way to chill out, and the best classes have a meditation session at the end, where you would learn a lot.

Otherwise, sometimes physical activity like running can have a therapeutic, hypnotic effect.

All meditation begins with your breath, slowing and deepening your breathing. You could try that first, without actually stressing about meditating. Just relax, shut your eyes, and concentrate on deep slow breaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

You should try the freely available 10-day Vipassana meditation course, it's the only proven way to measurably reduce levels of stress and anxiety and is now the most widely practised form of meditation in the world :)

PM me for more info. I'm going to be sitting the easter course... can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 doniemac

I did a course in the Dublin Buddhist Centre (5 weeks) and found it very helpful. They have a website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

As advised by Oryx here already it will be best to try Yoga first and thereafter go for meditation practice. Doing breath exercise helps a lot in fixing such behavioral sort of issues. And before doing all that it will best to first pin point real issue behind the problem to fix it, otherwise it will be very difficult to find desired focus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

• Advertisement
Advertisement