Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle scope in luggage from the States?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

FFIW I wouldnt bother carrying this in hand luggage.I did this once or twce and once I declared it in Heathrow,the security went over my bags extra sure,to see if there wasnt anything in there that could be loaded and fired and attached to the scope.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    In Atlanta,it was "Thats fine Sir...Have a nice flight"[pre 9/11 ].Pack it and wrap it up well with clothes and it will be fine .
    48Euros,that must be ther standard fee here in Ireland for customs to open and look in a box.They charged me exactly the same for when my Glock arrived here that I had owned previously for 15 years in the US.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

There is ABSOLUTELY no problem packing a riflescope in ones HAND-luggage.

It is NOT considered to be a firearem component by the TSA.

I brought one in myself last year - a Leupold - in my hand luggage from SFO to Dublin.

The security screeners didn't bat an eyelid.

The only issue is whther or not there is an export restriction on the scope.

If you are more comfortable putting it in a checked suitcase, again there is no issue. Aircraft holds are pressurised to the same pressure as the cabin. Hunters have been flying for decades with weapons and scopes in the hold.

I was much more comfortable with my scope in hand luggage, as it didn't give the baggage handler gorillas a chance to stress test it.

As to Customs - most small gunstores in the US will give you a receipt saying the scope cost $100 or less if you ask them. In any case, you have a duty free allowance and the item may therefore not subject to tax (as long as the total value of the goods you are bringing in from the US doesn't exceed €430). See this link for more details:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878a.html

". Duty-Free Allowances
    (i) General
    You are allowed to bring in goods (including gifts, souvenirs, perfume and clothing) free of duty, the combined value of which does not exceed:
    • €430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    • €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years
    It is important to be aware that the above monetary allowances do not apply to any individual item the value of which exceeds the relevant limits. If you bring in something worth more than the relevant limit of €430 or €215, you must pay import charges on the full value."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Madigan1234

How did you get on with importing the scope through the airport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Murph,
    I have brought back several scopes, none as high end as this, and range finders. I have never been stopped or hassled.

I would NOT post it back to Ireland. I would put it in my carry-on - NOT the checked luggage as it will not be locked - for long.

I doubt they will ask to have the scope opened. Rather, they check to ensure that whatever it is that you have is functional.

What part of the states is she in now?
    zulu_dawn wrote: »
    both times, i got my items posted to me via United States Postal Service, very reasonable price, insured and track and trace.
    record items as 'tools' 'measuring devices' or 'gifts'
    http://www.usps.com/international/deliveryoptions.htm
    If you do ship it, ask a lot of questions. I have heard that the USPS insurance only covers the item when it is in the hands of the US. Once it is given to An Post, different story. I cannot confirm if this is true, but worth reviewing. I cannot imagine the USPS paying claims outside of the US. But then again, they are bankrupt!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

Get your friend to post it to your home address but instead of putting Ireland, put UK. When it arrives there they will see it is obviously ment for Ireland and send it on. As it's coming in from another EU country, it will not be caught for VAT and excise. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    Get your friend to post it to your home address but instead of putting Ireland, put UK. When it arrives there they will see it is obviously ment for Ireland and send it on. As it's coming in from another EU country, it will not be caught for VAT and excise. :cool:

You need a export licence to post a scope out of the US.

Advertisement