Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MARTIN AMIS

Options
  • 31-01-2010 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Was a big fan of this guy for a number of years. MONEY and LONDON FIELDS are excellent books and I though THE INFORMATION a good enough read. Was wondering if anybody has read THE PREGNANT WIDOW-his latest?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

There was an extract from it in yesterday's Sunday Times magazine. I was shocked at how poor it was, but then I'm not a huge fan - love The Rachel Papers, but later stuff leaves me cold.

I thought the (longish) extract in the ST was stilted and almost unreadable in parts though. I thought Keith seemed borderline mentally defective.

I was just about to post asking peoples' thoughts when I saw this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Check out the review in the Sunday times last week. Fairly went to town on him. Seems he has pulled out of their festival in retaliation.
    I read Amis a good bit when I was younger. Loved "Dead Babies". "The Information" and "Money" never really got into. Actually preferred "Yellow Dog":eek:
    Wouldn't read this nonsense now if it was the last book on earth. Extracts etc are well dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

Yellow dog was trash in my opinion but to each his own. I might just go back and look at The Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Paddysnapper

Not a fan of Amiss.....The latest offering is so self indulgent, it's sickening:(

Yellow dog was trash in my opinion but to each his own. I might just go back and look at The Information.
    I know what you mean!
    But I still liked it ...frame of mind I suppose.
    Have the Information at home I think, you can have it for free if you want it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Cadiz

buck65 wrote: »
    Check out the review in the Sunday times last week. Fairly went to town on him. Seems he has pulled out of their festival in retaliation.
    I read Amis a good bit when I was younger. Loved "Dead Babies". "The Information" and "Money" never really got into. Actually preferred "Yellow Dog":eek:
    Wouldn't read this nonsense now if it was the last book on earth. Extracts etc are well dodgy.

I thought the review was spot-on, going by the extract (but maybe that's not entirely fair to judge by that). Did you read the huge interview with him in the magazine. It was flattering enough but he does himself no favours, he comes accross so crotchety and dated.

I read Attachment, by his wife, Isabel Fonseca a while ago - pretty impressive, I'd look forward to more from her.

Buck65 Are you named for Canadian Buck65?? He's top :)

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

We're reading 'Money: A Suicide Note' by Martin Amis for the next reading-club meetup (see below thread). new people are always welcome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054958222&page=20

Cadiz wrote: »
    I thought the review was spot-on, going by the extract (but maybe that's not entirely fair to judge by that). Did you read the huge interview with him in the magazine. It was flattering enough but he does himself no favours, he comes accross so crotchety and dated.

I read Attachment, by his wife, Isabel Fonseca a while ago - pretty impressive, I'd look forward to more from her.

I did read that interview and he came across as a prat. The interviewer had no time for him or his book either but she did a fairly decent job of keeping her seething emotions in check. In fairness Amis did a decent job of saving her the bother!
    Yes I am named after the Canadian rapper/singer/hip hop chameleon that is Buck65. Glad you know his music.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

'London Fields' is on my to-read list. What did you think of it?

We're reading 'Money: A Suicide Note' by Martin Amis for the next reading-club meetup (see below thread). new people are always welcome

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054958222&page=20

I have read it twice but must have a look at the meetup! How doesa it work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Richard Roma

I have read it twice but must have a look at the meetup! How doesa it work?

We meet at 8 in the Library Bar (Central Hotel, Exchequer) every three weeks. There's no real format to the meetings. It doesn't cost anything and new people are always very welcome

Thanks for the kind offer but will probably pass as I live in Dun Laohaire. I travel a long distance to work and want to avoid more travelling .:)

I had it in my head that it was an on-line Book club.My mistake

Denerick wrote: »
    'London Fields' is on my to-read list. What did you think of it?

London Fields is a brilliant book as well. The two Money and London Fields are his best work in my mind. Nicola six and Keith are excellent creations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Cadiz wrote: »

i thought that book was absolutely terrible! I skimmed the last part as I just couldn't face wasting any more time on it. Nice cover iirc though :o

I liked London Fields a lot - Rachel Papers wasn't the worst, but thought Time's Arrow was a bit over-rated and House of meetings / yellow Dog both were dire. I have really wanted to read Money though. I always thought Amis might be more of a guy's writer than one that girls read though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭dcmu

I found it very hard to get through money. Now maybe that's just me, but I felt Amis was trying to force it a little.

The opening was very "Hey look, I've spent some time in New York."

I know this is supposed to be one of his best works, but I found it quite slow.

Advertisement