Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop display not working.

• 31-01-2010 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭

I recently came into possession of a Packard Bell Easynote BU45. The centre pin of the power socket had broken off so it was basically inoperative. I was able to repair the pin and it is now working and the battery is charging. When I first tested it the Packard Bell logo appeared along with the boot and BIOS options (there's no hard drive). After another restart however, the display is blank. I've tested it with an external monitor and it's the same. Anyone any ideas or is the graphics chip fried?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

That's weird. The socket-issue and the display issue might not be related (but could be). Okay, that's not a useful comment to make! I'm not sure what could have happened. You think it short-circuited and this damaged the card?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Kevster wrote: »
    That's weird. The socket-issue and the display issue might not be related (but could be). Okay, that's not a useful comment to make! I'm not sure what could have happened. You think it short-circuited and this damaged the card?

Maybe. It was working until I removed the power supply (for some reason the power button will only turn it on, not off). I've rechecked all the connectors on the motherboard. It could be just the screen itself since I have no way of telling the laptop to use the external monitor. I'd just like to know either way because there's a motherboard and screens on eBay for €100 each but I'd rather not have to buy both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Pshemko

Adyx wrote: »
    I recently came into possession of a Packard Bell Easynote BU45. The centre pin of the power socket had broken off so it was basically inoperative. I was able to repair the pin and it is now working and the battery is charging. When I first tested it the Packard Bell logo appeared along with the boot and BIOS options (there's no hard drive). After another restart however, the display is blank. I've tested it with an external monitor and it's the same. Anyone any ideas or is the graphics chip fried?

There is not a problem with the screen. There is a problem with graphic chip set. The chip has to be removed and placed again.

Pshemko wrote: »
    There is not a problem with the screen. There is a problem with graphic chip set. The chip has to be removed and placed again.

Do you mean replaced with a new chip or just reseated? As I said above the laptop has no hard drive or OS so I wasn't expecting the external monitor to work. I'm not convinced yet whether it is the screen or the chip.

If anyone knows some where good that does laptop repairs (preferably in Waterford), feel free to post them please.

Do you mean replaced with a new chip or just reseated? As I said above the laptop has no hard drive or OS so I wasn't expecting the external monitor to work. I'm not convinced yet whether it is the screen or the chip.

If anyone knows some where good that does laptop repairs (preferably in Waterford), feel free to post them please.
    You can use the same chip but it is need precision soldering work.

It doesn't matter the laptop has no HD. It should works on eternal monitor if the screen is broken. If doesn't it's mean there is the problem with graphic card.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 OFlaherty

If the pin was broken it's likely the machine has been through some rough times and may have taken a knock or two.

You sound handy enough with a screwdriver so strip the case down and try reseating the graphics chip (you'll find it under a heatsink usually) and also check that all connections and cables are firmly in place.

Usually if the graphics chip is damaged or absent the bios will make a series of beeping noises but it won't do that if it's just a loose cable going to the screen, so you might get lucky :)

OFlaherty wrote: »
    If the pin was broken it's likely the machine has been through some rough times and may have taken a knock or two.

You sound handy enough with a screwdriver so strip the case down and try reseating the graphics chip (you'll find it under a heatsink usually) and also check that all connections and cables are firmly in place.

Usually if the graphics chip is damaged or absent the bios will make a series of beeping noises but it won't do that if it's just a loose cable going to the screen, so you might get lucky :)

You can't just reseat the graphic chip because it is soldered to the mobo. You can do that with CPU not with GPU. Not in every case you get beeping.

Even if the screen cable has lose it still should works on external monitor.

You can't just reseat the graphic chip because it is soldered to the mobo. You can do that with CPU not with GPU. Not in every case you get beeping.

You can reseat it on some laptops (although you're right this may be very few that you can). For example on the one I am now, I have done it. It's not soldered. Difficult to get to though.

Here's an article on how to upgrade your laptops GPU which will also explain the difficulties involved in reseating it if need be: http://www.pcworld.com/article/148909/upgrading_your_laptops_graphics_card.html

It won't work on an external monitor unless the key combination (Fn + F5) is pressed which I can't do as there is no OS. The graphics chip might be soldered on but it's definitely stuck on with that hot glue stuff. It's also covered by black plastic which appears heat shrunk on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Phil dublin

u could use a bootable os like ubuntu live, then try to get the screen up on another monitor. but ive got laptops with broken screens up on an extrenal monitors with th FN key and f5, sometimes FN and f4 without an os in the past.

the best way to test a laptop on an extrenal monitor when u have a few issues, is to remove the laptop screen alltogeter, remove all cables, use linux live cd, try the FN/f5 keys

dose the laptop have any other video outs you could try, s-video? ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It won't work on an external monitor unless the key combination (Fn + F5) is pressed which I can't do as there is no OS. The graphics chip might be soldered on but it's definitely stuck on with that hot glue stuff. It's also covered by black plastic which appears heat shrunk on.

If you close the lid quickly the bios will pick up and default to the external monitor.

The key combination works even without system.

The key combination works even without system.

Yep any laptop that allows an external display, selection cab be done without booting into windows. The key combination or a specific button on the laptop should allow it :)

Advertisement