Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting

Options
  • 31-01-2010 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

I have a six month old Springer and he keeps biting. I have tired everything i spray water on him and it doesn't work, i even tired barking at him still doesn't work. was just wondering has anyone got any other ideas on how to stop him from biting? will he grow out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Since he's still a pup you could try yelping to let him know that what he's doing hurts (even if it doesn't). So when he bites just yelp and pull away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

ashisback wrote: »
    I have a six month old Springer and he keeps biting. I have tired everything i spray water on him and it doesn't work, i even tired barking at him still doesn't work. was just wondering has anyone got any other ideas on how to stop him from biting? will he grow out of it.

Is he actually biting from aggression or is he just nipping/mouthing out of play?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ashisback

His doing it out of play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

If he's doing it out of play then yelp sharply and leave the room closing the door behind you and leaving the dog behind. Return in a couple of minutes but completely ignore the dog, he'll soon get the idea that him biting you results in the game being over and him being left on his own for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭TwilightWillow

What you should do is if he bites say your hand, yell "Ouch" but don't pull your hand away from him. He will learn that he "wins" if you pull away and will see it as a game. Just be stubborn with him and if he bites again, repeat the "ouch and not pull away" until he learns. When he doesn't bite the next time then reward him.

Just curious also, what age did you get him at?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Say "ow" sharply, take your hand away and turn your back on him. Then walk off and refuse to play for a few minutes. Repeat every time he bites. He'll some come to associate your refusal to play with his biting and will stop

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭juanyjuans

Yes, its important to teach him that it hurts... "try yelping to let him know that what he's doing hurts"

See this article on Puppy bitting: http://www.pets.ie/blog/140_puppy-biting.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP the methods of yelping and ignoring will work I think. It works for us. Please ignore the silly idea of hitting your dog. Hopefully you are a more understanding owner than a "my way or the highway" type of person when it comes to teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

letting the pup know he's hurting you then walking away is definitely the best way. Also has he been neutered?

And I know it's been said but I would hope you don't take the hitting the pup advice to seriously, hitting a dog is never a sound training method, regardless of the force used

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

supermum1 wrote: »
    letting the pup know he's hurting you then walking away is definitely the best way. Also has he been neutered?

And I know it's been said but I would hope you don't take the hitting the pup advice to seriously, hitting a dog is never a sound training method, regardless of the force used
    I totally agree , but don't stay away too long or the pup will actually forget why it is been reprimanded.
    I suppose some people still try to hurt dogs in the name of training:mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement