Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Measure / Size bit

• 31-01-2010 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

How do I measure a horse for a bit?

I use to just tell the tack shop assistant height of horse.
    And just try them and bring back if not fit etc.

Now i want to do it right get accurate size so how do I measure horse mouth for bit size?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

A correctly fitted bit should extend approximately 1/4 inch (0.6 cm) beyond the horse’s lips on either side, but not so tight that the horse might be pinched by any movable cheek pieces. It's also important that the bit isn't too long/wide and that there's too much excess on either side of the mouth as the bit could just run through the horse's mouth if you pull on the rein.

If you have a bit which you are currently using, and feel it's too big/small, measure it in the horse's mouth and then bring it to the tack shop and get the required size up/down.

The importance of having a correctly fitted bit on your horse/pony can't be stressed enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Found this article on how to measure your horse's mouth if you don't have a bit to go by. Not sure how good/accurate it is, but if you're stuck, it could come in handy? ... Maybe ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

A problem I have encountered is that bit sizes, a bit like clothes' sizes, can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so just be careful of that. Some 5, 1/2" bits will leave you with enough cheek room, some won't.

Sizes can also vary depending on the bit, for example the structure of the mouthpiece.
    So don't stick too rigidly to a particular figure... I have a three year old at the moment that I ride in two different sized bits depending on whether he's doing light schooling out doors or heavy schooling in the indoor. Just use what suits your particular horse, but pay great attention to it. A badly chosen bit can be your worst enemy.

Advertisement