Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounts needed for A4 photos

Options
  • 31-01-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know anywhere preferably in Trim ;) or I guess Dublin area that I can get about 6 mounts for A4 photos.. Its not for framing, just for presentation at Camera Club.. I have 8 x 10 mounts but the photos I chose couldn't be cropped to 8 x 10 without losing detail so went ahead and ordered them to be printed in A4 without thinking that now I need mounts to fit A4 :mad:

Thanks in advance,
    Susie ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 geneval2008

Your local framer should be able to cut mounts only for you... Otherwise, places like woodies etc. often sell A4 ones..

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SusieQue

When I first read this, I thought you wrote local farmer :o
    Anyway, thank you very much for your help! Much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

ikea?

DK32 wrote: »
    ikea?

Will check it out.. don't drive myself so will see where the limo driver will bring me :o.
    Have just rang Woodies and they say they have various sizes in stock but for some reason the girl couldn't tell if she had the size I require.. 'I have to pop in & have a look'! Surely it can't be that difficult to see if she has a few to fit A4!!
    Anywho, thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated!! ;)

I have picked up A4 frames from woodies before Susie, They do both insert with frame surround or standard glass only frames (all in A4 sizes) Prices up to about €20 each so not cheap.

IKEA have a good selection of frames, prices are decent enough
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/70078335
    Worth going to see them in store as I find the website does not do them justice.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! All I want is the mount card.. I'm not framing them. Its just for presentation purposes for my camera club competition so I will be re-using them. Can you just buy the mount card in Ikea or woodies?

I don't think so, maybe Ikea at a push

Its mad.. I really didn't think it would be this difficult to get 'just mounts' to fit an A4 print.. Anyway, thanks again for your help, you're very good!
    Susie :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Easons have them I think

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I might be able to get some for you. I have a 12 x 10 to get mounted so I'll call into my mate the framer (no, not the farmer) and see if I can pick some up.

• Advertisement

I might be able to get some for you. I have a 12 x 10 to get mounted so I'll call into my mate the framer (no, not the farmer) and see if I can pick some up.

That would be great, if you could.. No prob if you can't!! I never even thought of it until after I had a panic attack about not being able to get them printed 8 x 10.. Am I doing something wrong there or is it just the way the camera is :confused: If I resized them to 8 x 10, I would have had to crop detail I didn't want to crop off if you know what I mean :o

Sure keep me posted.. much appreciated :D

Kbeg3 wrote: »
    Easons have them I think

Thanks a mil.. will check it out :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

You would be better off investing in a Matt Cutter, Metal Rule & some Matt Boards.

The boards only cost about €1 or €2 each. The other gear will be about €50 & you have it for life. You can then cut your mounts to whatever size you require & do not need to recycle them.

O'Sullivan print/stationary supplies have a good stock of that kind of thing. They are a few doors up from Gunns camera shop.

CabanSail wrote: »
    You would be better off investing in a Matt Cutter, Metal Rule & some Matt Boards.

The boards only cost about €1 or €2 each. The other gear will be about €50 & you have it for life. You can then cut your mounts to whatever size you require & do not need to recycle them.

Thanks for the advice.. I probably will at a later stage when I reckon my photos are good enough for printing :o but at the moment its just for this competition! I just presumed i'd be able to get them printed 8 x 10 without cropping the photo.. Silly me eh :(

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Glad to see that the Navan club are flying, and are getting prints done for some healthy competitions. It's great to see that BlackandWhite is giving you all a challenge. :D

Between Pull 'n Bang and myself we might be able to work something out. When you need them for ?

When you need them for ?

Ah you're very good Buzz Lightyear! If you could, it would be great :) I'd really appreciate it! Well, the comp isn't until this day week(Mon) but would kinda need to know soonish so I can try elsewhere if not, if ya know what I mean...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There are quite a few old mounts hanging around in DCC. Not sure if any of them have A4 Apertures, but it's worth a look.

I'm sorted thanks to pullandbang & Buzz lightyear :D
    Thank you so much lads!! You're great :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

SusieQue wrote: »
    Hi,
    Does anyone know anywhere preferably in Trim ;) or I guess Dublin area that I can get about 6 mounts for A4 photos.. Its not for framing, just for presentation at Camera Club.. I have 8 x 10 mounts but the photos I chose couldn't be cropped to 8 x 10 without losing detail so went ahead and ordered them to be printed in A4 without thinking that now I need mounts to fit A4 :mad:

Thanks in advance,
    Susie ;)

Hello Susie, I'm open to correction from the more knowlegeable members here, but afaik A4 isn't a standard photo size. You're using a D50 aren't you, so that has a sensor ratio of 3:2 which would suit 6 x 4, 12 x 8 and 18 x 12 landscape prints without cropping. If you're doing portrait, you'll want to crop the length to something like 10 x 8 or 16 x 12.

A4 has a ratio of 1.41:1 and the standard digital sizes are 4:3 for compacts and 3:2 for DSLR. So A4 will force you to crop.

See http://www.photoframeonline.co.uk/photo-frame-size-guide.html

Regards,
    Noel.

EDIT: I update the DSLR sensor ratio, it's 3:2, not 2:1

• Advertisement

kelly1 wrote: »
    A4 isn't a standard photo size.
    Regards,
    Noel.

Hi Noel,
    Yes I still had to crop but only very slightly & not as much as for 8 x 10 so it suited for this occasion.. Its not something I thought of in any great detail before as I have never printed any of my shots taken with the 50D. But it was just for the comp that I needed some printed in a hurry & didn't need them any bigger than that for now. Appreciate you getting back to me & will def bear that in mind when printing again.
    Many thanks,
    Susie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

SusieQue wrote: »
    Ah you're very good Buzz Lightyear! If you could, it would be great :) I'd really appreciate it! Well, the comp isn't until this day week(Mon) but would kinda need to know soonish so I can try elsewhere if not, if ya know what I mean...

PM'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

CabanSail wrote: »

Is there anywhere in Dublin that do these or do you think it's just better to order online? Had a look about a good few of the arts and crafts shops in town but haven't had any luck finding them.

Advertisement