Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk to the trawl for talent

• 31-01-2010 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

clicky you prolly heard the spots they are running for this at the moment. Slightly surprised they willing to throw the doors open if only cos they are bound to spend a fair ammount of time discarding a large number of submissions.

Comments

Fair play to them - they might find some unknown talent waiting for their chance to impress.

It can't be easy for someone to break into the circle-jerk that is RTE radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Newstalk, spin, today fm and 98 are all taking part in this talent trawl for previously unheard radio talent, in my opinion, there is a very slim chance of someone who hasnt some previous radio experience, be it on local / community / hospital radio, getting on air, in any of these stations in any meaningful way. Most recently q102 ran an annual search for a new radio star, not one of their 3 previous winners is still with the radio station, in fact none of them are even on the air anywhere as far as I know. Radio stations are so concerned with market share etc that they are loath to take risks, as is evidenced by the similarity in formats across commercial radio stations. Where for example in the todayfm schedule would you take a chance on a completel novice? similarly 98. newstalk has been jettisoning experienced staff members for the last 18 months and isnt even capable of broadcasting live till midnight 7 nights a week, again, where would you put new talent in the schedule? There are plenty former INN staff that could do a job an newstalk, (i understand some have in fact moved to newstalk). 98 has been losing listeners ever since there was a change at the top, i cannot see the heads entrust newbies with the task of turning that around. Me thinks this is a PR excercise by communicorp, to get people talking about the stations in the group, to create a buzz, if the q102 experience is anything to go by, dont be fooled by this latest talent trawl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

They could start with new presenters of their weekend sports shows anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I could imagine Spin taking on at least one person. Alot of their DJs are fairly new to the game. Also, they seem to have a habit of employing talentless hacks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Fago_25 wrote: »
    I could imagine Spin taking on at least one person. Alot of their DJs are fairly new to the game. Also, they seem to have a habit of employing talentless hacks!

The policy seems to be if you can sound like a really, really annoying D4 twat, you're good to go.

Can't be that hard to find.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Too true Bell.

Actually hopefully they do hire more people. That means that the daytime lineup will finally be gone.

And because I applied there and I want a job there and I wanna be the one who's credited with saving spin's ratings.

I can see it now.

The saviour of spin

Move over Moyles, Fago_25 is here.

Advertisement