Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squats that coming over the hill....

Options
  • 31-01-2010 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Right so heres goes nothing......
    Been going to the gym for bout 7 months now but the first 3 months were spent on a useless waste of time programe so for the last 4 months ive been slowly getting onto a better one and right now (after a bit of lurking on this forum) its based around squats, deadlifts, bench and chins along with various assistance exercises.

Stats: 23, 71kg, 5ft11
    Bench: 60kg
    Squat: 90kg (Overhead Squat 45kg)
    Deadlift: 97.5kg

Those are all 2/3 RMs really, never tried to find my 1 RM....just wanna keep building up the weight.
    Ive always been a lot weaker in the upper body than lower so im finally starting to get some strength going there.
    My core is starting to be the sticking point now in the squat but its my weak ass shoulders and arms that are stopping me in the OH squat
    My grip in my right hand (my bad hand) is really starting to prevent me from getting more reps in at the high weights on the deadlift so have started trying to improve my grip strength

Anyway il see how long il keep logging on here, wont be here too often id say cos of a lack of regular internet access but when i can il update it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

As i said i cant get online too often but anyway quick update....

No change to squat or bench....gonna test them out on sunday

Deadlift, 1x 102.5 ......managed it easily enough no hitching or pausing on the lift
    Overhead Press 2x 37.5 ......struggled to get the 2 reps at this weight, but i really need more shoulder work as i feel there my weakest points

Decided to start doing hang cleans as well for the first time the other day.....and after slowly building up the weight I finally called it a day after 2x 52.5.....really need to work on my technique for this one, was all over the place by the time the weight was decent

Tried out weighted pull-ups as well.....only 5kg but still...went something like this
    1x5 (+5kg)
    1x4 (+5kg)
    1x5 No weight
    1x4 No weight
    1x2 No weight

Bit by bit the weight is building up on most lifts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

I love the title of your log man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

+1

was just comming in here to say that

+1

was just comming in here to say that

Its the only good thing about the log really!! :D:p

ok so.....

Hit 100kg on the squat today squeezed one slow rep at it
    Went something like this...
    90kgx3
    92.5kgx3
    95kgx2
    98.5kgx1
    100kgx1

Moved my OH squat upto 47.5kg as well
    My arms were crazy shakey during it tho...had to push press the bar into position from 40kg+.....dont think il be making much progress here until my shoulder pressing comes along

The bench is still at 60kg....but getting in more sets + reps at the lower weights soo making progress anyway....think il stick with DB press for a while now and come back to the bench later

• Advertisement

Deadlifts up again today....
    2x10 60kg
    2x10 80kg
    2x8 100kg
    1x5 110kg
    1x2 115kg
    1x1 117.5kg

I can smell that 2xBW deadlift :P

Have started doing more DB pressing than before, tried out my bench earlier but still caught at 60kg but managed 2 sets of 2 at 55kg.....im too impatient for all this slow progress!! :D ......god dam my weak arms and chest!!

Threw in some pullups +5kg as well just cos the bench annoyed me!! :rolleyes:

Have started adding in more core work at the end of my sessions now cos i can really feel it working during the high squats and deadlifts

P.S. My hands are sore the whole time now.......my grip is catching me on the deadlift......get the feeling i could add a few more kg onto the lift if it wasnt for the grip on my right hand!!!

Forgot to say im weighing 72.8kg now as well!!

Squats today....
    40kg 2x10
    60kg 2x10
    80kg 3x5
    90kg 2x5
    100kg 1x3
    102.5 1x2
    105 1x1
    107.5 1x1

My hip flexor in my right leg felt really tight after the weight reached around 90kg, gonna need more stretching here

Started doing decline and incline benching as well to help improve my bench

Ahhh deadlifting

60kg 2x10
    80kg 2x10
    100kg 2x5
    110kg 1x5
    120kg 1x1 (PB)
    122.5kg...duno if this counts as a PB...got the bar off the ground, got my legs and body straightened......grip then failed on my right hand causing the bar to bang off the ground. This got me looks off nearly everyone for disturbing their bicep session and an instructor asking me to "relax"

60kg 2x10 (drop set)

Anyway......considering buying gloves or chalk to aid my grip as well other grip strengthening thingys like towel pull ups

Neutral grip pull ups
    2x5
    1x4
    2x3......wanna get 5x5 and then move onto chin ups

Db Press
    14kg 2x10
    16kg 2x10
    18kg 2x8
    22kg 2x6
    24kg 2x5

Did some OH squats and core as well then

Happy overall although my grip is pissing me off now!! :mad::mad:

Havent had time to make it to the gym as much as i want lately.....college stuff...need to get stuff done before rag week!! :P:P

But anyway....
    Bench...
    20kg 2x10
    30kg 2x10
    40kg 2x10
    50kg 1x5
    55kg 1x3
    60kg 1x2
    62.5kg 1x1 (pb)
    65kg 1x1 (pb)
    67.5kg.....fail
    Think i could have made the 67.5 if i gave myself a bit more of a rest after the 65 but gonna get it soon

Did some deadlifting and military pressing after
    Have started switching to sumo style dl after i go above 70kg and finding it much easier to lift with.....although grip is still terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Don't buy gloves for DLing. They widen the bar and actually make it harder to grip. Invest in some liquid chalk first. Also try to squeeze the bar when DLing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

cc87 wrote: »
    Anyway......considering buying gloves or chalk to aid my grip

Don't do it man.
    Farmers walk will sort out your grip.

Sangre wrote: »
    Don't buy gloves for DLing. They widen the bar and actually make it harder to grip. Invest in some liquid chalk first. Also try to squeeze the bar when DLing.
    Don't do it man.
    Farmers walk will sort out your grip.

Cheers lads....decided to stay away from max lifts for a while and have been working higher reps at lower weights.....squeezed out a 3x8 100kg on the deadlift the other day and a 2x5 100kg squat

Must get back into updating this more often....

Gotta laptop...i be updating this mofo the whole time now!!

RAG week killed me....a week later and im still not right.....

Been to gym few times this week...no max lifts for a while

Started doing hanging knee raises......i feel ghey doing them....

Rowing is painful.....doing intervals on the rower may possibly be death...

New season starting.....fitness testing....100m in 12.55.....need training!

More results to follow....same bat time same bat channel

I am useless at this keeping a log thing!!

New stats: 73.5kg Bodyfat 10.1%

Todays Workout

Tested max deadlift for the first time in about 2 weeks
    2x8x60kg
    2x5x70kg
    1x5x90kg
    1x5x100kg
    1x3x120kg
    1x1x130kg (PR)
    1x1x132.5kg (PR)

3x8x60kg Drop set

Db bench Press
    2x8x14kg
    2x8x16kg
    2x8x20kg
    2x5x24kg

OH Squats
    2x8x20kg
    2x5x30kg
    1x5x35kg
    1x5x40kg
    1x5x45kg

Chin Ups
    1x5 +5kg
    1x4 +5kg
    1x3 +5kg
    1x5 BW

Hanging Knee Raises
    3x8

Rowing Intervals
    30s on, 1min off x6

Happy with the deadlift,especially cos my grip wasnt a problem at all, although my hands are covered in blisters from deadlifting and the hanging knee raises!!

Deadlift
    2x8x70kg
    2x5x90kg
    1x5x100kg
    1x3x110kg
    1x3x120kg
    1x1x125kg
    1x1x130kg

Pull-ups
    1x5,4,4,3,2

Front Squats
    2x8x40kg
    2x5x60kg
    1x5x70kg
    1x2x70kg

Back Squat
    2x10x70kg
    2x8x80kg

Ab Pulldown
    1x15x50ish kg
    3x12x65-70kg

Glute Ham Raise (have to use lat pulldown machine for this)
    2x8
    2x5

Knee Raises
    3x8

Rowing Machine Intervals
    30s on, 1min off x6

Concentrating on deadlifts more these days, hoping to get a 2xbw soon. Although i ripped a callous today so wont be able to go too heavy for a few days now.

Switched from weighted chin-ups to BW pull-ups today as well, happy enough with the number of reps. Will stick at BW for a while before trying any weighted ones

Front squats were ok, it was pain in one of my wrists more than the weight that prevented me from doing any more reps in this. Must work on wrist flexibility somehow!!

Back squats just cos i like to do them,went deep on the 70kg, just broke parallel on the 80kg

Tried Ab Pulldowns as well today, went well i think. Although im not too sure of the weight cos the weightstack only has markings upto 40kg. But i think it only goes up to about 80kg.

Threw in GH raises as well. Had to use the lat PD tho but still seemed to work well enough, although by the last set i was all over the place on them!!

Gonna change up something on the rowing intervals cos i dont think there hard enough

Arsin about really.....

SLDL
    2x10x40
    2x8x60
    2x8x70
    2x5x80
    2x3x85

Deadlift

5x5x100
    1x120
    1x120......and ripped another callous thus ending my deadlifting for the night

Bench
    2x10x20
    2x10x30
    2x8x40
    3x3x50

Ab Pulldown
    Dunno weight....next weight down on weightstack from the last day
    3x12

Chin-ups (Neutral Grip)
    4xBW+5kg
    4xBW+5kg
    5xBW
    4xBW

Glute Ham Raise (Lat Machine)
    3x8....form always goes to muck on last set

Hanging Knee Raises
    3x8.......managed to touch knees to elbows for a few reps on the first set

Rowing Machine
    4x500m....1min rest
    1.57, 2.01, 2.00, 1.56
    Was only gonna do 3 500m but decided fcuk it...managed fastest time on the last one as well! That predicted finish it shows messes with your head to make you go faster!!

Was gonna do some front squattin tonight but gym was crazy busy and didnt have to wait around for de squat rack.

Weight 74.5kg
    Bodyfat 11%

Advertisement