Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering a UK CaR in Ireland

• 31-01-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

My wife and I are thinking of buying from a dealer an imported UK Mondeo.
    Dealer will pay the VRT. He wants our name to regsiter the car in Ireland, even though we have not paid for the car? Is this right? Wouldnt it be wise for him to register it in his name and then again in ours....

Only i did a finance check on the car and its got a stament saying on the report -
    'We recommend you call this UK number quoting the reference to verify
    the financial status'...

Does this mean that even if we havent actuaLLY paid for the car from the dealer, if he registers the car in ireland to us, does that mean we are technically liable for the fianance of the car, or will the dealer have to pay any outstanding finance stuff before the car can be registered?

Any advice, thanks.

Steve.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You're not liable for the finance but more importantly you WILL NOT own the car if finance is outstanding. The finance house/bank will still own the car and it could and probably would be reposessed from you and you will have no car and all your money will be gone.

How about go to the UK and buy your own car, bring it back here and pay the VRT. You will most likely save money.

Just to start you off if you like,

What year car are you looking for?
    What is your budget?
    Petrol or Diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I think you are reading into this a little too much.
    The dealer has to have the irish reg on it for you to drive it away so it would be normal for him to reg it to you direct Im sure. You are buying from a dealer so you should be fully protected in relation to finance owing etc but again, I sure most of the shock on main dealer forecourts in fully owned by finance.
    The important question here is - Is this a proper dealer? I wouldnt buy it off some chap working from the back of his house as you could very well get stung for owing finance etc if that was the case and he would also be trying to hide his dealings from revenue by using your name direct.
    If however this is a proper garage registering it with revenue through his normal trade route (they have accounts with revenue for this), I dont think you have a problem but certainly no harm in chasing up on the finance number you found and see what they say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

While what the seller is doing is technically not correct there is no long term issue for you as the buyer doing it this way. I would be more concerned about the fact that there is finance owning on the car.
    The finance company technically owns the car until the last payment is made, therefore the owner has no right to sell the car. If you buy it he finance company has the right to take the car from you without any financial compensation to you. The guy selling the car to you may not have done the necessary checks himself so don't automatically assume your dealer is to blame. If the dealer is a proper dealer with a proper garage then you would have comeback with him, but as others have said he doesn't sound like he is doing things above board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Ring the finance company in the UK as suggested and check it out for sure. If it's good, buy the car, if not..............need I say more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If the finance is not outstanding then you need to ask the finance house for "a letter on non interest" in the vehicle.

I had something similar with my own car. I was selling it and the ballifs turned up at the newly registered address. There was a mix up in PTSB between one team and another.

So, mistakes happen but ensure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed before taking on anything.

• Advertisement
Advertisement