Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation over wiring?

• 31-01-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I asked today in a guy in a major electrical store in cork about the need for putting 16" of insulation over the existing wiring(for lights only) in the attic.

He said that as it was the single type wires that there would be no need to put these over the instatallation.

I am also aware that the insulation bags say do this but what do ye think?

I had thought of putting it into conduit or just rewiring the 4 beds,toliet and hall before i had gone in there.

Any electricians or insulations installers know the answer?

Regards,
    Kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

doubt it's a major issue if you're not covering halogen downlights.
    the insulation covering will affect the rated ccc of the cable though

there's a new rule(i think it's new anyway) regarding cable runs in attics-no criss-crossing allowed-to bring bad workmanship back into line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

There should be no problem putting insulation over existing wiring. The only potential problem I am aware of is polystyrene should not be allowed to come into direct contact with pvc insulated wiring as it can cause the pvc to disolve away aver time.

Advertisement