Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music graduate

Options
  • 31-01-2010 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I'm a music graduate (B.A. in music and english literature) and I also play the piano at a fairly high level. I graduated nearly 2 years ago now and haven't really thought about what I want to do in any serious way.

Well just recently I have, and I'm just wondering are there others out there who found themselves in a similar position to me? A lot of people have suggested doing an MA in teaching but to I'm not sure I want to go down that road. Like most people I guess I'm the product of a society that's crippled by choice - I know what I don't want to do but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to figuring out what I do want to do. Before this gets re-posted to a psychology/self help section I should end this by saying I'm still quite open minded but know that I'm happiest when involved with anything musical. Willing to travel too, if people suggest interesting post grad courses abroad.

All suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Master Bates

I'm a music graduate (B.A. in music and english literature) and I also play the piano at a fairly high level. I graduated nearly 2 years ago now and haven't really thought about what I want to do in any serious way.

Well just recently I have, and I'm just wondering are there others out there who found themselves in a similar position to me? A lot of people have suggested doing an MA in teaching but to I'm not sure I want to go down that road. Like most people I guess I'm the product of a society that's crippled by choice - I know what I don't want to do but I'm drawing a blank when it comes to figuring out what I do want to do. Before this gets re-posted to a psychology/self help section I should end this by saying I'm still quite open minded but know that I'm happiest when involved with anything musical. Willing to travel too, if people suggest interesting post grad courses abroad.

All suggestions appreciated.

Er, why not become a music teacher? Have you offered tuition? etc etc....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 explosions hurt

I have seriously considered teaching actually and it's something I can see myself getting in to but just not at the moment. I'd have to do a masters to teach secondary but I have advertised myself for grinds in theory in some local secondary schools but to no avail.

People generally ask me when I tell them what I've studied, "and what'll you do with that? teach?" which is fine but I just wonder are there other things I can do with the degree. Looking into media a bit at the moment, researching on a radio programme would be interesting but I'd imagine it'd be hard to get my foot in the door with a radio station without previous experience in the area.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Myself and a friend call this the 'wilderness' stage. One has been so busy for years just studying and now it's all a bit like 'wtf'. You could do some psychometric testing to see if there is any particular direction you're drawn to. Or you could go to your careers office in your last college?

There's a big difference between further study and starting work so figure out what you wanna do first!

Advertisement