Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some graphics card advice :)

Options
  • 31-01-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Well lads, buying a new graphics card soon. The game I want to play says I need a nVidia geforce 8600 or higher (so thought I'd get that or a 9 series just to be sure). I have a 6600 atmo and the game runs but only on lowest settings =[

Anyway, I was browsing adverts/Komplett for cards when I started getting a little confused. I am aware that after the 9 series comes the 100, 200 etc (right?). Anyway, when I was browsing Komplett I came across these

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=501411

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=500492

Are these cards better than a 8/9 series? I was wondering why they were cheaper than an 8/9 series card (with the mentality that price = quality). I would be grateful if someone could explain this to me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

The key with the model numbers lies in the second digit- so a 210 is the entry level 200 series card while the 9800 is the high end 9-series card. There are of course additional digits or annotations such as GX2, GT, GTX etc.

TBH, if you are not following the market it can all be a bit confusing so the easiest thing to do would be to use something like this:

Tom's Hierarchy Chart

The rest of the article is about what cards are the best value for money in certain price ranges. I would caution though that there are several things to make sure of:

1) Your PSU can supply enough power
    2) Your PSU has the necessary connectors
    3) If buying a high end card, it will physically fit in your case
    4) Your case has adequate airflow (only an inssue when buying some of the bigger power hungry beasts)

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭C.D.

PS to answer your question (I did go off on a tangert), no. They are in fact worse than your current card.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's your monitor resolution? What's the specs of your current rig? Shape/size of case and all the ratings of your PSU (check sticker on its side for 12V amperage limits in particular)

Most of all, what's your budget? A basic HD4650 will knock you back €35-40 but you could or should need something a bit more brawny, depending on all the above.

Low-end nVidia cards include 8*00 below 8800, 9*00 below 9600, all G100 and G2*0 below G240 (avoid old cards below 8*00). Low-end ATi cards include HD2400, HD3*00 below HD3850, HD4*00 below HD4650 and HD5*00 below HD5670 (avoid the old pre-HD cards). None of them are any good for gaming. Avoid.

Advertisement