Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Competition

• 31-01-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭

Anyone see this competition on http://www.qmark.ie in the competition section, can you enter a pic from google or is it only original(owned by you) that can be entered. What protection has the owner of the images got? if someone enters their images in a similar comp..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

...well if you enter someone elses picture....shouldn't they win the prize...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭aceofspades.ie

gerk86 wrote: »
    ...well if you enter someone elses picture....shouldn't they win the prize...?

Thats what I meant, say for instance! someone buys a photo from a site or just surfing google images can they enter comps like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I can't see any link to the T&C on the site but I would assume no. I would imagine there is a clause where the submitter asserts that he owns the copyright on the image and there's no legal impediment to them using it for commercial purposes etc etc. If I chanced across quality ireland using one of my images for commercial or promotional purposes because you (for arguments sakes :)) had uploaded it to a competition, I'd sue the pants off them. And probably you too :D

I can't see any link to the T&C on the site but I would assume no. I would imagine there is a clause where the submitter asserts that he owns the copyright on the image and there's no legal impediment to them using it for commercial purposes etc etc. If I chanced across quality ireland using one of my images for commercial or promotional purposes because you (for arguments sakes :)) had uploaded it to a competition, I'd sue the pants off them. And probably you too :D
    I see where your going! but for example Photo Challange section here has some really great photos, guys worked hard to get them then some joker comes along and enters them in a comp and WINS.. I know you sue his pants off..
    1. What if the guy(thief) is based outside Ireland.
    2. How can the people running the comp know its not his work if he says it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I see where your going! but for example Photo Challange section here has some really great photos, guys worked hard to get them then some joker comes along and enters them in a comp and WINS.. I know you sue his pants off..
    1. What if the guy(thief) is based outside Ireland.
    2. How can the people running the comp know its not his work if he says it is

I don't what you're on about. Stealing is stealing. Why not go out and take some photos and stop wasting everyones time with a meaningless debate :(

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »
    I don't what you're on about. Stealing is stealing. Why not go out and take some photos and stop wasting everyones time with a meaningless debate :(
    Wow real helpful.. I recently bought a DSLR and just wanted too know how secure my photos would be if I decided to put them on the net in some way...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I recently bought a DSLR and just wanted too know how secure my photos would be if I decided to put them on the net in some way...

Secure - No.
    Protected by Copyright law - yes.

Copyright is protected internationally.

You might be better off doing some research on copyright.

Paulw wrote: »
    Secure - No.
    Protected by Copyright law - yes.

Copyright is protected internationally.

You might be better off doing some research on copyright.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Devils advocate:

If I went to flickr and found an image with "creative commons" or whatever rights where I can create derivative works; I then lash the Q mark logo and witty comment at the bottom.

Is that a new work for copyright purposes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Nisio wrote: »
    Devils advocate:

If I went to flickr and found an image with "creative commons" or whatever rights where I can create derivative works; I then lash the Q mark logo and witty comment at the bottom.

Is that a new work for copyright purposes?

From what I recall the creative commons licenses, like the GPL and LGPL licenses that inspired them, have a clause which requires you to release any derivative works under the same license. This is the so-called 'viral' nature of the various OS licenses that allow this.

-edit-
    Ah, actually having gone back and checked the licenses, it depends on which CC license you use. There's a 'share and share alike' which requires you to release any derivative work under the same license, and there's one which doesn't require you to do so. In that case I guess it would boil down to an argument about how similar your work was to the original or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

The picture is someone else's, and the logo belongs to Q Mark. They don't appear to want your witty comment. :rolleyes:

From the site... Email your pictures to...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

It'd be ironic though, the winner of the Q (Q for Quality & Excellence) award goes to someone who stole a photograph. :o:eek:
    /I guess you'd have to be a real low-life to do such a thing, like a politician or a banker or an ODC etc !! :D

Anyone see this competition on http://www.qmark.ie in the competition section, can you enter a pic from google or is it only original(owned by you) that can be entered. What protection has the owner of the images got? if someone enters their images in a similar comp..

I should have phrased my original question better, anyway thanks for the input... Little more enlightened and sceptical...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I emailed Q Mark to ask about the T&C's

They have just replied to say they have put the T&C's on their site.

Copyright is covered as is their expect use. Just do not see any mention of File Size.

CabanSail wrote: »

Copyright is covered as is their expect use. Just do not see any mention of File Size.
    Says on the site

Please give your full name, company name and email address
    Pictures should be sent as jpegs recommend size 1024 X 768, the maximum size of each photograph entered should be no more than 2,400 x 3,000 pixels in digital format or have a file size less than 1.5mb

Closing date for entries: 2pm Friday, February 26th

CabanSail wrote: »

Caban if you win am i on a finders fee :)

Advertisement