Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Might be handy for De-Dusting

• 31-01-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭

This might be useful for cleaning PC's instead of paying criminal sums for tins of air?

And before everyone jumps on the "Never put a hoover near a PC" bandwagon, I've been doing it for years without incident.

Link:

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Looks handy. I got a paint brush and it works great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,533 ✭✭✭✭Victor

And how well does it work with static electricity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,414 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Victor wrote: »
    And how well does it work with static electricity?

There's always one isn't there :p
    And before everyone jumps on the "Never put a hoover near a PC" bandwagon, I've been doing it for years without incident.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Depending on how often you find yourself doing it, a air compressor is a valuable tool.

Depending on how often you find yourself doing it, a air compressor is a valuable tool.

The ideal solution really I suppose?

Can you get small ones other than the industrial type?

Do you know of any?

-

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Doesn't mean it's advisable. Recently saw a post somewhere on boards where someone's PC wouldn't boot after they cleaned it out, and they used a hoover.

The ideal solution really I suppose?

Can you get small ones other than the industrial type?

Do you know of any?

-

Any small psi model will do, Argos used to sell a small one that powered air tools and even had a duster attachment. When you consider the cost of one compressor at 100 euros, to 10-15 euros a can of compressed air. It make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

the "Never put a hoover near a PC" bandwagon
    I'm not familiar with this bandwagon - why not?

When you consider the cost of one compressor at 100 euros, to 10-15 euros a can of compressed air. It make sense.

Agree totally Cuddlesworth.

-

Gurgle wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with this bandwagon - why not?

I suppose people would argue that a Hoover would create static electricity and destroy IC's on the boards. I don't really believe this, but I do know they don't do a great job and don't clean in things like heatsinks and psu's(the important things) as well as a small jet of compressed air. It lacks the necessary force.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I suppose people would argue that a Hoover would create static electricity and destroy IC's on the boards.
    Ah, OK.
    Static electricity inside a faraday cage :rolleyes:

I suppose people would argue that a Hoover would create static electricity and destroy IC's on the boards. I don't really believe this, but I do know they don't do a great job and don't clean in things like heatsinks and psu's(the important things) as well as a small jet of compressed air. It lacks the necessary force.

That's my take on it too & that's why I'm looking for a small, not too powerful compressor type gizmo that will run off 220v AC, but I'm not having much luck.

The cost of the cans is insane.

-

You should start looking at tool shops, here's a link to get you started. 200 quid for the lot, compressor, hoses, airgun, delivery. They can be gotten for cheaper, but I got mine second hand years ago.

http://www.tools.ie/index.php?page=1&cName=air-tools-einhell-air-tools&sort=1a&osCsid=6e5dadeadf758b1a311d003752f0e573

Advertisement