Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Graphics Card

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I got an old gfx card from a friend for nothing, he said the colours were gone but it still worked
    but when I place it in my machine (nvidia 8400 gs pci-x) the device manager shows it as genric
    VGA adapter with no drivers installed.

So when i install the drivers the screen eventualy turns black, get no response and the driver dose not install.

I am using the HDMI port to a 42" hdtv with poor results, blue vertical lines on screen etc. would the dvi output to a monitor have different results? but there seems to be an error I can see in the device manager so it might be hardware.

I suspect a faulty capacitor, one is not sitting flush to the pcb, anybody think this could be the offending component?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

nVital wrote: »
    I got an old gfx card from a friend for nothing, he said the colours were gone but it still worked
    but when I place it in my machine (nvidia 8400 gs pci-x) the device manager shows it as genric
    VGA adapter with no drivers installed.

So when i install the drivers the screen eventualy turns black, get no response and the driver dose not install.

I am using the HDMI port to a 42" hdtv with poor results, blue vertical lines on screen etc. would the dvi output to a monitor have different results? but there seems to be an error I can see in the device manager so it might be hardware.

I suspect a faulty capacitor, one is not sitting flush to the pcb, anybody think this could be the offending component?

thanks.

There is really no way of knowing what part is faulty (if any) without thoroughly testing the card with a proper testing rig.

It may be crappy drivers, it may be the HDMI port (so try the DVI), it may be the GPU itself, the ram, the cooler may be a little loose - so could be an overheating issue.

There is really no way in telling, but if it is something gone kaput - there is really no point trying to fix it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭MoodyMedic

I remeber somewhere reading that some card connectors break, and one way to repair them is to place the card in the oven!

No lie - the heat at ~150oC melts the metals sufficiently to re solder the loose elements. Google it - I'm sure the instructions are out there somewhere...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

MoodyMedic wrote: »
    I remeber somewhere reading that some card connectors break, and one way to repair them is to place the card in the oven!

No lie - the heat at ~150oC melts the metals sufficiently to re solder the loose elements. Google it - I'm sure the instructions are out there somewhere...

yep. theres been a few stories here on boards and all of which were successful

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Advertisement