Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

Yes Chippers

we all love them but there are some awful chippers in kildare and i think they should be named and shamed. im sick of getting below par chipper food so im going to name the chipper i went to tonight.

Luigis in monestrevin, im just back and i threw pretty much everything in the bin.

i only went there because KC Take away in Kildangan was closed, KC in no Romas and has zero italians working there but all in all its not bad but that hole i was in earlier in monestrevin was as bad as anywhere i have been. should have known when i saw the state of the owner.

Whats your best and worst chipper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Best - Fountain in Kilcullen. Best chips ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

To be honest I can't think of ever going to a chipper and thinking "this is horrible", but in my opinion the best could be either Central Grill in Newbridge or Capri Grill in Naas, although nearly everyone else I know say Macaris in Kildare town is the best chipper around by a country mile, I wasn't particularly impressed when I went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

Best - Fountain in Kilcullen. Best chips ever.

Agreed. I've yet to find somewhere that does a Taco cheese chips as nice as their's.
    As for worst, I've had some bad food from Capri Grill in Naas, but the chips on their own are alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Funny LD50 - I never get anything but chips in chippers but anybody I know who got burgers etc from the capri said the same - chips are ok but the meat is awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

I have yet to find one that throw in an extra scoop of chips. Every other chipper in the country does.

the one in sallins is nice.. You will still be hungry after though. so stingy .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Rosies in Kilcock is a great chipper

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

SQ2 wrote: »
    Rosies in Kilcock is a great chipper

I second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Roma - Kildare Town

Gorgeous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

To be honest I can't think of ever going to a chipper and thinking "this is horrible", but in my opinion the best could be either Central Grill in Newbridge or Capri Grill in Naas, although nearly everyone else I know say Macaris in Kildare town is the best chipper around by a country mile, I wasn't particularly impressed when I went there.

It was until new ownership came in. Turned it to the dogs. They own Roma Grill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Probably the worst chipper in Ireland. Apparently it was one of the first in kildare. The level of hygene hasn't changed since it was first opened it appears.

Maximus in maynooth is not too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

sams used to be the business back in the day bout 8-10 yrs ago, its gone to ****e. hill diner was nice the last time i had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Keogg

Probably the worst chipper in Ireland. Apparently it was one of the first in kildare. The level of hygene hasn't changed since it was first opened it appears.
    +1 for that, its horrible
    But the Hill Diner is really nice:) They do a great cheeseburger... mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

The 'hill' is the one beside the WOK INN? I always remember that being poor too. The town could really use a decent cafe or healthy food option. It's either chinese\chipper\pizza, after 8. Theres enough customers about to support it!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

The best non Italian style chips are from Pinheads Pizza in Monasterevin, good pizzas as well. Luigis chips always taste nice after the pub (I wonder why) Roma in Kildare has gone backwards in my experience, I used to love the stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

Yes Chippers

we all love them but there are some awful chippers in kildare and i think they should be named and shamed. im sick of getting below par chipper food so im going to name the chipper i went to tonight.

Luigis in monestrevin, im just back and i threw pretty much everything in the bin.

i only went there because KC Take away in Kildangan was closed, KC in no Romas and has zero italians working there but all in all its not bad but that hole i was in earlier in monestrevin was as bad as anywhere i have been. should have known when i saw the state of the owner.

Whats your best and worst chipper?

PM'd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ashisback

i hate Macari's in maynooth. the food isnt nice and they only give you a half a bag of chips. i like maxiums better food is nicer and you get a full bag of chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭TGi666

displaced dub can you please respond to my pm

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

Chipper in Monread, can't think of the name...

Absolute muck, reheated chips.
    Stingiest of portions ever...burgers are as plain as I've ever eaten.
    And they know how to charge!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

ashisback wrote: »
    i hate Macari's in maynooth. the food isnt nice and they only give you a half a bag of chips. i like maxiums better food is nicer and you get a full bag of chips.

I really dont understand why any of these shops are so tight with the chips. Its only spuds. spuds are cheap.

They lose so much custom with the tightness.

If I opened one. I would feed the crowd. the crowd would come back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Central Grill in Sallins, friendliest staff, nest chipper and I defy anyone to find a better Donor Kebab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

The one is sallins is 10 times nicer than that kip in Monread

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

we used to go to central grill in newbridge until we found Cook's Cabin. I'm not sure of the estate it's in, but you turn left at the crossroads (central grill behind you and town in front). Go straight on and pass the 1st set of lights. Turn right where the road leads on to Eyre St.

if anyone knows this estate's name, please post. This is a great chipper!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkmar

we used to go to central grill in newbridge until we found Cook's Cabin. I'm not sure of the estate it's in, but you turn left at the crossroads (central grill behind you and town in front). Go straight on and pass the 1st set of lights. Turn right where the road leads on to Eyre St.

if anyone knows this estate's name, please post. This is a great chipper!!!!

It's in Highfield Estate in Newbridge...

But Central Grill definately wins the best chips award and the scallops are even better.

Macari's in Kildare Town has gorgeous taco cheese chips, Their burgers on the other hand have too much raw onion for my liking but they have the best smoked cod EVER... and I'm not a fish eating person but this is just mouth watering. Well worth the stiff asking price of about €5.50 I think!!! but you won't even question it when you tuck into your fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Grub in Macarai's in Clane isn't too bad, the staff are just shockingly ignorant that it really puts you off ordering there.

+1 on Central Grill in Sallins, great quarter pounder!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

One problem with Central Grill though..It's looks filthy from the outside. im sure the food is lovely but i wouldn't venture in.. The standard of chippers in Newbridge is a joke.i have been to them all and compared to chipppers in Dublin, they are well below par. There is an oportunity for someone to make a killing with a decent chipper in Newbridge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Cooks Cabin by a long shot is the best ,

Really nice chips , burgers and chicken from what I have tasted .

The staff are very very friendly also , For a local chipper I have not come across a better one even in Dublin.

Cooks Cabin by a long shot is the best ,

Really nice chips , burgers and chicken from what I have tasted .

The staff are very very friendly also , For a local chipper I have not come across a better one even in Dublin.
    where is Cooks Cabin?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

If you are coming into the town from J12 on the N7 ,

When you get to McLoughlins oil take the left at the traffic lights,

Drive down the road and go through the Traffic lights and then take the next right

When you take the right its on you immediate left .

Last time I was there i got a bottle of the vinegar and the girl behind the counter said to me " bring the bottle back when you finished and we refill it for half price"

Its the little things that count !

If you are coming into the town from J12 on the N7 ,

When you get to McLoughlins oil take the left at the traffic lights,

Drive down the road and go through the Traffic lights and then take the next right

When you take the right its on you immediate left .

Last time I was there i got a bottle of the vinegar and the girl behind the counter said to me " bring the bottle back when you finished and we refill it for half price"

Its the little things that count !
    well impressed with the vinegar comment..will defo check that place out..not to far from where i'm living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

syngindub wrote: »
    One problem with Central Grill though..It's looks filthy from the outside. im sure the food is lovely but i wouldn't venture in.. The standard of chippers in Newbridge is a joke.i have been to them all and compared to chipppers in Dublin, they are well below par. There is an oportunity for someone to make a killing with a decent chipper in Newbridge.

Pity you didnt stay in Dublin then since the chippers there are so great.

Central Grill and Cooks cabin are excellent. I never had a complaint going into either of them over the last 20 years or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement