Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 laurak88

the chipper in monread,naas is called luigis and it is mank. reheated chips all the way. i live round the corner and i'd sooner go down the town to the capri.

the capri actually do great chips-crispy nearly and lashings of salt and vinegar. and there's one girl who'll give you two shovels extra in the bag.

maximus in maynooth are a great chipper aswell-many the night spent outside maximus and mizzonis with half the college queueing up out the doors. and their burgers are good too.

and i know its not in kildare but its nearby and too good not to mention-dempseys "chipper" in blessington is an absolute gem. its somethin out of days gone by-ye can only get chips or chips and a burger and ye have to eat inside. the fella who runs it, i dont think is the full shilling but he's an absolute pet and jesus they can make a bag of chips-feckin gorgeous. macaris up the road on the other hand is absolute muck-same as luigis in monread. ate their chips every saturday in work and they were so greasily horrible. go to dempseys every time!

and while we're at it, the mizzonis pizza places in maynooth and sallins are godsends but they are just slightly behind pizza 2000 in blesso.

i'm so hungry right now....

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

laurak88 wrote: »
    the chipper in monread,naas is called luigis and it is mank. reheated chips all the way.

Agreed, total kip!

Best - Central Grill in Newbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭DryCleanOnly

the chipper in monread,naas is called luigis and it is mank. reheated chips all the way. i live round the corner and i'd sooner go down the town to the capri.

+1

Genoas in Caragh is nice decent prices and great chips, similar to the Capri in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

agreed on lugis in Monread, how does he keep and custom serving that muck.
    And mean as Sh$t to top it off, bough myself a deep fat fryer on the basis that I don't what to give that place any more money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

and i know its not in kildare but its nearby and too good not to mention-dempseys "chipper" in blessington is an absolute gem. its somethin out of days gone by-ye can only get chips or chips and a burger and ye have to eat inside. the fella who runs it, i dont think is the full shilling but he's an absolute pet and jesus they can make a bag of chips-feckin gorgeous.

Ha, is mick still making chips out of there. I used to stop in there after swimming class nearly 10 years ago by now. I thought he'd have packed it in by now. Definately some of the nicest chips around. Does he still use newspaper to wrap them? He's a real character though. Mad as a hat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

Luigis in Monread and the capri grill in Naas are the same owners as far as I know. When I moved to Naas 22 years ago the capri was all we had. I didn't rate it then in comparison to most Dublin chippers. I don't rate it now either or Luigis.

The chipper is Sallins is spot on though. Clean, Friendly and good selection. The Doner Kebab is tasty as someone else mentioned. Ive tried the one in Kill and it seems okay aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Chicken burgers out of Franks in Prosperous made me the man I am today.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I`ve tried the Fountain in Kilcullen a few times but still go back to the Central Grill in Newbridge,it`s close though ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

just been to that terrible chipper in Sallins.

11 euros and 3 hungry mouths with an uncooked sausage thrown in to make ends meets.

Im really tempted to open an Irish owned chipper that uses more that half a spud to feed the punters in sallins.

im disgusted with the Central .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

gsxr1 wrote: »

11 euros and 3 hungry mouths with an uncooked sausage thrown in to make ends meets.

Im really tempted to open an Irish owned chipper that uses more that half a spud to feed the punters in sallins.

I can honestly say I'm shocked. I've never once had a bad experience there, including one occasion where 20+ staff were fed. That being said I haven't been there in about 6 months but it hasn't changed hands. Very bad news if the quality has slipped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

To be honest I can't think of ever going to a chipper and thinking "this is horrible", but in my opinion the best could be either Central Grill in Newbridge or Capri Grill in Naas, although nearly everyone else I know say Macaris in Kildare town is the best chipper around by a country mile, I wasn't particularly impressed when I went there.

I can't stand the smell of chippers by day. after a few pints though its very a very appealing place to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

gsxr1 wrote: »

Gave up chipper grub. But I don't doubt that the Central has gone downhill. A pity though.

Curry is your only man!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Dubchef

Central Grill in Newbridge is nice. Best chipper in the country is Leo Burdocks in Dublin. Worst Chinese in Kildare is Jardin Royal in Newbridge, food is terrible and i ye get it delivered to your house its cold on arrival.

I remember a chipper back home in Derry.

for 4 quid you got a mountain of chips and a real chicken fillet burger. One person could not finish it.

The line was out the door every evening.

That was a 8 years ago.

I wish I knew something about the business. I would fill the customers belly.

For the price of an extra spud you would get all the trade from the other chippers around here.

Like Burdocks. Send them home full and they will return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Dubchef wrote: »
    Central Grill in Newbridge is nice. Best chipper in the country is Leo Burdocks in Dublin. Worst Chinese in Kildare is Jardin Royal in Newbridge, food is terrible and i ye get it delivered to your house its cold on arrival.

Yeah true, Burdocks is fabulous.

Jardin Royal has always been muck. If your looking for a Chinese I'd recommend Victoria House in Kildare, staff and food are top notch, or Zen Thai in Newbridge.

Anyone ever eaten out of Rozzi's in Newbridge?

I know a lot of people in his area swear by him, but not for me. Nice quarter pounders though.

I heard zen Thai is a good one alrite. The nicest chinese around though would have to be the Great Wall Chinese in Brownstown, delivery charge is that bit extra but well worth it. If your interested in Thai food, the Weeping Thaiger in Naas is lovely, I had many a nite out there. Never ate in Rozzis but know one of the girls that works there. I heard its nice but have never tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

Dubchef wrote: »

I can't believe what I'm reading about Burdocks, its an awful overpriced tourist trap with nice fish but really **** chips, wrapped in fake newpaper. The nicest chipper that I've tried in Kildare is Luigis in monread in Naas (I cant say I've tried many outisde of Naas recently). Luigis is owned by the Capri, but the chips are a little nicer than the kip up town.

ah ye cant beat a gud oul fashioned leo burdocks, d bad part is the way the chips are wrapped, they end up everywher specially after few drinks, give me brown paper bag anyday. As for Luigis in Naas, didnt think they were gud at all. Nicest Chinese in Naas is the Great City and I would head to Central Grill in Sallins for a chipper as the rest of them are terrible for such a big town.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Luigi's in Naas is an absolute joke. Last time I was there the staff were busy laughing and joking with some friends that were in the chippers. They were also clearly dishing out free grub to their mates too. To top it off, one of the staff then proceeded, apron and all, to go outside the front door to have a beer and a smoke with the gang...and all of this at only about six in the evening! nobody expects the most paranoid levels of hygeine from a chippers but FFS the basic essentials will do!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭ncit9933

baztard wrote: »
    I can't believe what I'm reading about Burdocks, its an awful overpriced tourist trap with nice fish but really **** chips, wrapped in fake newpaper. The nicest chipper that I've tried in Kildare is Luigis in monread in Naas (I cant say I've tried many outisde of Naas recently). Luigis is owned by the Capri, but the chips are a little nicer than the kip up town.

If you think Luigis in Naas is the nicect you'd really want to get outside Monread, never mind Naas.......Luigis are the meanest shower or re-cooked chip peddlers I've ever eaten in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Macaries in Kildare Town has the best chips around! Actual potato chips that fill you up! Go for the one beside Xtra-Vision. Very nice people there aswell.
    The worst chipper in Kildare is in the town also...the new "MacDoner" which took over from abra has the worst food imaginable. Seen one of the workers load a trolley full of Lidl chips into his car the other day...wonder if he eats them all himself...cheap gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Curlz24

HOT-Capri Grill in Naas but only when the blonde hag thats there at weekends isnt working.Smokes out at the front door and walks in and doesnt wash her paws:confused:

NOT-Chris's Takeaway Allenwood,I believe locally its know as Rentokill.:pac:

Im tellin ya.

There is a big gap in the market for an Irish Chipper in Naas by the sounds of it.

I would use it.

the locals would flock to it. Every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Macaries in Kildare Town has the best chips around! Actual potato chips that fill you up! Go for the one beside Xtra-Vision. Very nice people there aswell. .

Have to agree. You won't beat Macaris. Full portions of chips. A bag with always an extra scoop thrown in. Plus the battered sausages are huge and the nicest any where in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Slimseamie

i agree with the person who said franks in prosperous, chicken burgers were unreal! any time a match was played in prosperous we would go there after, kind of counter productive in fitness terms i suppose, maybe that's why we lost so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mckenziekid

luigis in monasterevin is abso gorgeous but its really greecy but the best chippers in the world is momma mia's in athy

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Welcome to boards.ie. You might want to fmailiarise yourself with the workings of the site before diving in. Dragging up threads from years ago is generally frowned upon :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement