Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most powerful vested interest group in Ireland?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

We all know that back in the "good" (by good i mean bad) old days it was the catholic church.But who, in your opinions is it today?I can't really think of one off the top of my head (but if i had to but money on it I'd say the bankers,given the amount of murder they've gotten away with).Anyway what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

The problem is that there are links between so many of the vested groups. It is like a set of russian dolls. And who knows how many politicians or top ranking civil servants are members of secretive organisations such as The Knights of Columbanus and Opus Dei and how far can they and do they influence Government decisions ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Medical profession without a doubt, followed closely by the Legal profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Medical profession without a doubt, followed closely by the Legal profession.
    Interesting, never eally thought about them.Why do you say that exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,466 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Have to go with the tabloids. So many gullible people out there.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

the public sector of course , close to a million votes if you include relatives of people who work for the state , so important that no one dare sugest fireing thirty of forty thousand of em

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Have to agree with it being the bankers - allowed to destroy their industry and bring the irish economy to a grinding halt - and yet they are bailed out and allowed to continue, without reform, free to mess up again whenever they choose

irishh_bob wrote: »
    the public sector of course , close to a million votes if you include relatives of people who work for the state , so important that no one dare sugest fireing thirty of forty thousand of em

Yeah, I would have agreed to you if you had said that before the last budget but it seems they finally got (part of) what was coming to them!:)

Yeah, I would have agreed to you if you had said that before the last budget but it seems they finally got (part of) what was coming to them!:)

despite all the whingeing and moaning , they got off relativley lightly and are still significantly better paid than those in the private sector, on average a couple of thousand people loose thier jobs in the private sector loose thier jobs each week this past year yet it rarely makes the news , cut public servants pay by single figure percentages and several shows a day on tv and radio are dedicated to it , thats power

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

The rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Trade unions and their vested interest of destroying the country for the sake of their members, tho ironically by destroying the country they also screw their members

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Green Gooner

I would say the Green Party with all their global warming mumbo jumbo. They appear to be made up of snobby middle class who dont give a damn about the less well off in our society.

Think out it for a second, some of the things they have introduced or proposed ie plastic bag levy, possible water charges, new light bulbs... all costs extra money which some families simply cant afford.

I would say the Green Party with all their global warming mumbo jumbo. They appear to be made up of snobby middle class who dont give a damn about the less well off in our society.

Think out it for a second, some of the things they have introduced or proposed ie plastic bag levy, possible water charges, new light bulbs... all costs extra money which some families simply cant afford.

Given that they're a political party would they really qualify as a "vested interest" group?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The military-industrial complex.

Oh, wait . . . Ireland . . . scratch that last one.

z

Given that they're a political party would they really qualify as a "vested interest" group?

Fair enough, but do you get the point which I was trying to make re no giving a toss about the less well off?

on further thinking the trade unions are definitely the most powerful vested interests group

think about it

who else can:
    * bring airports to standstill
    * withdraw law enforcement services
    * stop kids from being educated
    * prevent people from being treated
    * give the government further holidays
    * stop electricity, turf and gas supplies
    * stop collecting taxes
    * stop cleaning streets, collecting rubbish, fixing potholes

even the bankers are not that powerful

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

CIF have had a major influence on government thinking that has led to disastrous policies.

IBEC are as bad, only interested in the profits of their members to the detriment of everyone else.

let me fix that for you :D
    bijapos wrote: »
    IBEC IMPACT are as bad, only interested in the profits of their members to the detriment of everyone else.

see i can play that game too :)

Fair enough, but do you get the point which I was trying to make re no giving a toss about the less well off?
    Of course.I think we can all agree the Greens are a joke.

Of course.I think we can all agree the Greens are a joke.
    Thank You

bijapos wrote: »
    CIF have had a major influence on government thinking that has led to disastrous policies.

IBEC are as bad, only interested in the profits of their members to the detriment of everyone else.

whenever you wish to speak in terms of greed nowadays in this country , simply insert the term IBEC and you,ve made your point , im convinced half the people who use it havent got a clue what it even stands for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Until they relinquish their control of education. it's still the Catholic Church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

I think the media are probably the most powerful vested interest group in the country, particularly the red tops. They hold a lot of influence over how voters perceive the Government and that gets right to the very core of how this country - and the Government - operates.
    Medical profession without a doubt,
    Really? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

irishh_bob wrote: »

That's close to a million votes that won't be going to FF or the Greens in the next election then. The pay cuts won't be forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

theghost wrote: »
    That's close to a million votes that won't be going to FF or the Greens in the next election then. The pay cuts won't be forgotten
    No way, nothing close to that figure.
    A lot of people are arguing, in fact, that the reason for the government's recover in the latest opinion poll is how popular the public services cuts were with the elctorate. I think standing up to public servants would be a very wise move by FF.

great :)

tho it seems FF popularity has risen by few notches recently :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The Banks/IBEC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Public sector unions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

"Friends" of Fianna Fail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

yeah but it becomes Labour and Fg's problem then. End of the day if the money isnt there it isnt there. Not the pay cuts that is the problem but the size of the work force. Over staffed seems to be the operative word when it comes to the public sector.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

The old

Advertisement