Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the most powerful vested interest group in Ireland?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭gent9662

GAA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Japer

No way, nothing close to that figure.
    A lot of people are arguing, in fact, that the reason for the government's recover in the latest opinion poll is how popular the public services cuts were with the elctorate. I think standing up to public servants would be a very wise move by FF.
    +1 The public service is the most powerful vested interest group in Ireland. They have the power to - and have done in the past - cut off the countries infrastructure, esb, schools, hospitals, etc. Generally their members enjoy better pay , pensions, holidays, sick leave, shorter hours, more job security, less stress etc compared to those outside that vested interest group who have no option but to pay for those services. Members of that vested interest group ( eg politicians , central bank, regulator etc ) can do appalling damage to Ireland and get away with it, and still get bbiiiigg pensions. Lower down the ladder teachers etc are virtually unsackable no matter how bad they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mickeyrooo

anymore wrote: »
    The problem is that there are links between so many of the vested groups. It is like a set of russian dolls. And who knows how many politicians or top ranking civil servants are members of secretive organisations such as The Knights of Columbanus and Opus Dei and how far can they and do they influence Government decisions ?

The Knights of St Columbanus...influence Government decisions???
    Are you serious? My da has been with them for years...hes not a wizard conjuring divils to do his bidding in the FF tent at the races.
    What do you know about these mystical all powerful Knights that I don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Probably the banks now.

Would have said CIF, but that's gone now, no use to the Govt. RGDATA was a massive one, not as powerful as it used to be, same with the publicans.

The IMO is still big, same as the law and Accountancy professions, though pharmacists have been tackled.

Unions have been tackled and probably beat so far, but if more pay cuts are in line, they could topple the Govt. Everybody has a line.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭T "real deal" J

Fianna Fails donors

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

The banks and IBEC are running the country now, lads.

As a single profession, the publicans are probably the ones who hold the most sway in the corridors of power. Only in Ireland would a government decide to cut the number of Special Needs Assistants at primary school level, so that the price of alcohol can be reduced. Put the needs of a high-profit-margin legal drug sellers ahead of vulnerable children? You need to have some power to do that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭TheWestsAwake

The Axis of Evil :mad:

Fianna Fail-RTE-Irish Independent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

We all know that back in the "good" (by good i mean bad) old days it was the catholic church.But who, in your opinions is it today?
    RGData And the VFA (Vinters Federation Association)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭allisbleak

mickeyrooo wrote: »
    The Knights of St Columbanus...influence Government decisions???
    Are you serious? My da has been with them for years...hes not a wizard conjuring divils to do his bidding in the FF tent at the races.
    What do you know about these mystical all powerful Knights that I don't?
    Prominent members

Mr. Oliver J. Flanagan asked the Taoiseach if he has seen reports in the press to the effect that on his direction no member of the Government could be a member of Opus Dei or the Knights of St. Columbanus: and if he will state if this is so.

Dáil Éireann 27 Sept 1995 Declan Bree T.D :
    ".. the Knights of Columbanus, a patriarchal, sectarian, secretive and fundamentalist network of influential men who have exerted power and influence in all sectors of society. While some people might be under the impression that the Knights of Columbanus is a type of charitable organisation, this is not the case. ... Despite the fact that they wish to remain in the background where they can manipulate and influence the agenda in a subtle and simple manner..."

Dáil Éireann 11 June 2009 Ruairi Quinn T.D :
    (Addressing Minister for Education Batt O’Keeffe) “...either officials in your department are members of secret societies such as the Knights of Columbanus and Opus Dei and they have taken it upon themselves to protect the interests of the clerical orders” or “you are politically incompetent and incapable of managing the department of education”.

I think this speaks for itself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭SeanW

In a general descending order, higher = more influence and causes more damage.

1. Developers
    2. Bankers
    3. Publicans
    4. Trade Unions
    5. Gaelgoers, the RSA and other regulation freaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

allisbleak wrote: »

You think they are prominent? Is that some sort of joke? One TD, his brother in law, and a Supermarket King? Come on.

You also just ripped most of your incredibly non-damning post from wikipedia, which does tend to devalue the whole thing further...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

At first the unions jumped to mind, mainly the PS ones at the minute, but when I think of the term vested interest I think of an interest in something that is not apparent. This doesn't really hold true for the unions, they follow a pretty simple rule, they are out for what they can get for there workers.

When I hear vested interest I think of stuff like Declan Ganley, who could be considered anti EU in his attitude, and the rumors that he could be financed by american interests. Its a bit tinfoil hat, but I think if its obvious whats going on its not really a vest interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

Certainly not anyone under the age of 45 anyway.

Mainly the monied people between the ages of 50 and 80 are on the minds of the government constantly IMO, doesn't really matter if they are bankers, property developers, landlords, senior civil servants etc.

So long as they are of the monied classes they have great influence over this government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

changes wrote: »
    Certainly not anyone under the age of 45 anyway.

Mainly the monied people between the ages of 50 and 80 are on the minds of the government constantly IMO, doesn't really matter if they are bankers, property developers, landlords, senior civil servants etc.

So long as they are of the monied classes they have great influence over this government.
    It's nothing to do with being in a 'monied' class.

These are the people most likely to get out and vote.

The Government doesn't listen to the grey population because of the amount of money they stuff into their mattresses, they listen to them because they are actually afraid of the repercussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

The Axis of Evil :mad:

Fianna Fail-RTE-Irish Independent

Please tell me that's a joke!

Advertisement