Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatballs - can't find a sauce in the shop

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

I kinda like my meatballs with some sort of sause as meatballs on their own can be quite bland. In the past I used to buy the Superquinn meatball which had a sause with them (boy were they yummy!). However, last night I was in Tesco and ticked up a packet of meatballs. As hard as I searched I couldn't find a sauce to go with them. Any ideas what I could use? or where could I get some sauce to go with my meatballs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Make your own, you won't find better in a jar, I promise you that.

Fry an onion and some garlic until the onion is soft.

Lash in a tin of toms

some stock (doesn't matter what, veg, chicken, beef)

some herbs if you want (oregano is good)

a quick flash of sugar to take away the sharpness of the toms, but not so much as the sauce is actually sweet.

let it boil, then leave it to reduce to a consistancy you like.

Freeze what you don't use for the next time.

You could even leave out the stock there if you wanted. Just use a few more herbs for flavour.

Lash some grated parmesan on top too before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭tscul32

I second that you can make your own as above in about 5 mins. But failing that, any jar of tomato/curry/whatever sauce would do. Just pour over your meatballs and cook on the hob or in the oven until the meatballs are done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

If you are in a hurry, get a jar of passata. Heat it up with a spoon of sugar, some salt, pepper, dried green herbs and garlic powder, and toss your meatballs in it. Couldn't be simpler.

Advertisement