Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dan Boyle's threatened resignation

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭

The Sunday Independent is carrying a story about Dan Boyle offering his resignation to party leader John Gormley :
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dan-boyles-resignation-threat-nearly-brought-down-coalition-2041217.html
    As I didn't vote for the Greens at the last Council & Euro elections, I am, I supposed, biased against the Green Party, so best to admit it before commenting further. Perhaps Boyle was acting in good faith, but at this stage, given Irish politicians, I am inclined to be skeptical about threatened resignations which don't materialise. I am particularly skeptical about Government politicians taking positions which are in opposition to the Government's policies but which doesn't result in actions which cost them anything. I think if he was sincere he should have resigened.
    Are there any views on whether Boyle should have gone ahead and resigned to show he was sincere ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,776 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With him not being a TD it would make no difference whatsover to the Green Party's voting power in the Dail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

With him not being a TD it would make no difference whatsover to the Green Party's voting power in the Dail.

If all the Green Party TDs resigned it would make no difference to their voting power in the Dáil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

That is what makes me cycnical about this : the Green who doesnt matter threatens to resign, the Greens who do matter, dont !
    We have seen this before with the Greens and the net result of it tends to be that Boyle gets yet more media space, particularily on Newstallk, to present himself as the conscientious caring Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Such a move would effectively remove the senator from the Irish political scene.

Well he was actually removed from political life by the electorate, only his friends gave him a cushy Senate job. But after the next election, when there are no Green TDs, there will be no friends to give any of them Senate jobs either.

Personally I cant stand this mumbling fool. If he had any principles then he would have resigned, but these lads always put their personal interests ahead of both country and supposed party values.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 allaction22

What sickens me is that he gets €70,000 salary plus €50,000 expenses per year. When he calls in to the shop in Douglas Street to buy a sandwich, his hardest job is to keep in the laughing at ripping off all us taxpayers standing in the queue with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Where does this clown get off thinking he has any clout ,he has been rejected by the electorate a number of times if he feels so strongly why doesnt he hand back the senators seat he accepted from the grubbiest most devious FFer of them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

The Green Party remind me of the brow beaten, handbag carrying, hen pecked husband who can't actually stand up for their own beliefs or principles and constantly defer to their spouses in the Fianna Fáil party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Boyle and John Gormley were the people who brought Cowen his croissants and coffee in the mornings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The Green Party remind me of the brow beaten, handbag carrying, hen pecked husband who can't actually stand up for their own beliefs or principles and constantly defer to their spouses in the Fianna Fáil party.

I wouldn't be surprised if Dan Boyle and John Gormley were the people who brought Cowen his croissants and coffee in the mornings.

Would the Greens actually agree with drinking coffee, think of the air miles. It would surely be a sacrifice of their principles ( sorry, I forgot, they don't have any principles.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

this story is a fine example of the poor standard of Irish journalism and editing

dan boyle is a nominated senator, NOT a TD (he was rejected by the electorate and subsequently placed in the senate by a disgraced Taoiseach who didnt have a bank account while he was the minister for finance)

dan boyle only offered his resignation he did not resign

even if dan had an ounce of principle and had he resigned it would not make one difference to the standing of the government

dan boyle pockets circa €11,000 of taxpayers cash every month

bad Irish journalists and their lazy editors create drama where it doth not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Barname, read the forum rules.

Perhaps you should supply some links to evidence of your accusations?.

ie. not just a blog where someone claims something

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Sometimes Dan Boyle is so verbose that it can be difficult, at least for me to understand him. An example is part of a statement he made in the Seanad in 2008:
    http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=SEN20080709.XML&Node=660#N660
    Senator Dan Boyle: info.gifzoom.gifAll economies are cyclical. Although the nature of politics does not allow us to indulge too much in the theoretical and the philosophical, debates such as this allow us to talk about what we mean by economic wealth, what it consists of and how and when it is measured. The normal economic indicators are such that we measure economic growth in certain ways. We measure all economic activity, whether negative or positive, within certain timeframes. If we were to measure the economy since the turn of the year, it would not be seen in a particularly positive light. If we measured it in the last ten years, it would be seen as one of the best performing in the world, but if we conducted the same measurement to cover the time from the foundation of the State until the mid-1990s, say, it would certainly not be much to write home about. On these terms, we see in our own political history how the economy has ebbed and flowed and how the matter has been dealt with by successive Governments of different political affiliations.
    The situation is far from ideal. It is serious and requires a particular approach. Whether it is the result of international or local indigenous factors is largely irrelevant. Any Government in office at such a time has a responsibility to do the right thing. While we have enjoyed a period of economic prosperity unparalleled in our history, it has now come to an end. Whether we have a sustainable economy for the future depends on whether we do things differently. The Opposition can talk about whether, as I argued myself as an Opposition spokesperson, we placed too much reliance on the construction sector during our last period of economic growth; whether we have a balanced economy, and the challenge that faces us in putting in place measures to ensure we have a balanced economy in the future and that it is sustainable and based on appropriate levels of education, investment and infrastructure, but I have no reason to believe the steps taken as of yesterday by the Government and the Minister for Finance and being taken on an ongoing basis are the correct ones.
    We are facing into a world in which our neighbouring and competing economies are all experiencing the same problems. We are facing a post-oil economy. There are also indigenous factors such as our reliance on the construction industry. A crucial aspect which in better times was one of the biggest fillips for the economy is the degree of business and consumer confidence which, as of now, has dipped and is heading in the wrong direction. The business of the Government is to make sure such confidence levels can be restored because without such confidence the economy cannot recover.

The issue of the resignation is easier to understand; if he has withdrwan the resignation , then what motiviated him to do so ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Dan Boyle threatening to resign is in some ways similar to you or I threatening to saw our own leg off - You might say it, you might say it multiple times, you might say it to many People - you may even state that you really, really, honestly and truly mean it..... But there is no fcuking way you'll ever do it.....

- What would an unparalleled and uncontrollably astronomically mutton-brained Fool such as Dan Boyle ever possibly do on the next working day after his resignation?

Who would want him and why? McDonald's would even reject him as part of the advanced suitability regime in their selection process.....

Apart from the 6 remaining Green Party Morons we have left, who could listen to such voluminous and relentless drivel from such a voluminous and relentless drip?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

He has some neck for a man with none

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Ok, if someone wants to discuss politics and not AH style insults, let me know and I may re-open the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement