Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanted & FS: Variety of components

• 31-01-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭

Was considering placing this in the main forum, and it may yet be more appropriate.

I have a Trek 5500 dating from the year 2000. It has full Dura Ace finishing kit. And a crack in the frame.

I have bought this frame as an interim measure. It will become my winter bike at the end of the year.

I have a full Dura Ace group set, and a full ultegra group set both dating from c. 2000 which I want to use to build up this frame.

I haven't a clue how compatibility has shifted in the mean time.
    I will need a new BB presumably? (maybe I won't - can't find a measurement for the Trek.)

Fred Question: will my 1" stem work on this new 1" 1/8 bike?

I'm not sure what size my existing seatposts are, I'll get around to that.

Wanted: are any components that won't be transferable - be they new (BB) (headset - Cane Creek IS3 mandated by Planet X) and some guidance on which ones to buy or if anyone has second hand bits (such as stem if it's not compatible),
    a fork,
    a seatpost if mine doesn't swap in (it will need to be a long one, I'm on the outside of the right height for the frame

and anything stupid I'm not thinking of.

Meantime if anyone want a pair of Bontrager Vector Pro's which are running well and are only slightly out of true I'll listen to offers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Hi Uber, I have the same trek..

Your stem will not work so you need to get one of those in a 1 1/8. PX's own brand one is really rather good. Failing that the Pro PLT is super light at around 40 euro's. Your bars are likely to be non oversized so the stem will need to be one that is 1 1/8 around the stem and non oversized around the bar. These can be gotten, I know BBB (spit) do one. Just be careful about that, most 1 1/8 stems are designed for oversized bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

What size is the frame? I have a PX carbon fork from a team superlight that may fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

d4r3n wrote: »
    What size is the frame? I have a PX carbon fork from a team superlight that may fit

worryingly small tbh - it suggests it can accommodate up to 6 2 and it's 54 cm frame per this the trek was 58cm afair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Equivalent TT is 57cm so with the right stem and saddle setup it should fit you nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

CRC have a load of cheap stems including ones that are 1 1/8" to 26.0mm (not sure if your bars are that or 25.8mm? Probably 26mm.

• Advertisement

Shopping list now consists of:

stem per Blorg - presumed 26MM bars

Cassette, Chain, Chainrings, brake blocks, BB. All of these components are presently Dura Ace 7700, and both the shimano site and CRC are v.poor for helping me assess compatibility.

E.g. - Dura Ace 7800 "Q-factor remains same as FC-7701/BB-7700" - this mean it's compat? At that price I won't be looking elsewhere (when it comes back in stock)

Cassette Ultegra 6500 - compat?

and on it goes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Uber, your full groupset should fit. Assuming it was working on the trek it will work on the Planet X equally well. The BB will fit, you will have a Dura Ace 7700 octalink and that will work with the PX no probs. The Front Derailleur is braze on so that will be fine also. Shifters, rear derailleurs, cranks, cassette etc... no problems there. You might even get away with the chain, although if the PX has a longer rear stay then you may need to add links to the chain, or just get a whole new chain, no harm getting one of those anyway.

All you need is fork, stem and headset.

Your seatpost on the PX and Trek is the same diameter so that should be fine assuming the length is ok in the more compact frame, which it should be.

Do you have specific compatibility questions ? I should be able to help.

As Quigs intimates you MIGHT need a new seatpost but try your current one first. I moved all the components from a Trek 5000 (traditional geometry) onto a slightly compact frame and I have the seat post right up to min insert.

The PX carbons are very compact indeed, no way my Trek seatpost would have fitted there... but looks like the aluminium is less compact so you may get away with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Hi, I've got the following lying around:

ITM 4 Ever fork in 1"1/8, no mudguard eyelets. It had had a bearing race installed on the crown and brakes bolted on, but it is otherwise unused. (same as this, but no bung included: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Forks-Road-ITM-4-Ever-Forks-Road/ITALFORR300) 65 euro.

FSA Expander Plug, never fitted. (similar to this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2218 except I would have bought it in 2008, I've no idea what the difference might be) 5 euro.

I don't have the correct type of headset for your frame though. The reason neither of the parts were ever used is because I foolishly got 1"1/8 bits for my 1" frame.

Rob

edit: what length stem are you looking for?

d4r3n wrote: »

L by Planet X measurements -
    rob1891 wrote: »
    Hi, I've got the following lying around:

ITM 4 Ever fork in 1"1/8, no mudguard eyelets. It had had a bearing race installed on the crown and brakes bolted on, but it is otherwise unused. (same as this, but no bung included: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Forks-Road-ITM-4-Ever-Forks-Road/ITALFORR300) 65 euro.

FSA Expander Plug, never fitted. (similar to this: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=2218 except I would have bought it in 2008, I've no idea what the difference might be) 5 euro.

edit: what length stem are you looking for?

stem length - unsure, presumably a little on the longer side of average.
    Fork - seems a good fork, but I'll wait and see what d4r3n comes back with and see between you at that stage. May as well shop boards as anywhere else.

• Advertisement

uberwolf wrote: »
    L by Planet X measurements -
    stem length - unsure, presumably a little on the longer side of average.

I've no long stems, but maybe someone else ...

rob1891 wrote: »
    I've no long stems, but maybe someone else ...
    I have a 130mm long ITM stem that would probably fit, I think it is 1 1/8" steerer but a smaller handlebar standard, not sure which but certainly under OS. It was flat bars though so maybe 25.4 rather than 26. Black finish but scraped away on top from keeping a lock there. And missing a bolt on the steerer clamp... you are welcome to it but I'd probably get a new one from CRC, looking at this thing would drive you mad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

Blorg I would like that stem, I could get it from you when I am picking up those tyres at the weekend.

with my CRC basket about to pop, I spot a 31.7mm (band on) fr dr is required, but CRC only have 31.8mm - presumably it's a typo with P-X?

and better grab a seat clamp whilst I'm at it.

I'm tempted by a BB - simply because I've little confidence of the BB coming out after ten years. Although I did put light grease in the threads before fitting.

CRC have adapter bands under 'Derailleur Spares' here: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=662

Would allow you to keep your 7700 derailleur. I don't think 0.1 of a mm is going to make a difference.

order placed. Thanks for the guidance.

Still required: forks (& bung?)

I imagine it is a typo, it says the seatclamp is 31.8mm.

You only need a bung for a fork with a carbon steerer tube. Carbon forks with alloy steerer tubes you can use the star nut that comes with your headset. Generally if a fork has a carbon steerer it will come with a bung (although the PX ones don't.)

I ordered one of these a few days ago, I am hoping it will fit my own PX fork OK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

I may be totally mistaken, but as far as I can recall, Trek have a lifetime frame warranty as well as a frame replacement program where they will part subsidise or replace the frame on inspection...Have a look at the bottom of the attatchment..

ckeego wrote: »
    I may be totally mistaken, but as far as I can recall, Trek have a lifetime frame warranty as well as a frame replacement program where they will part subsidise or replace the frame on inspection...Have a look at the bottom of the attatchment..

I'm dropping it in for the Trek agent to have a peek. It's delaying the rebuild somewhat as they need to see it in the original format. Fingers crossed. I don't believe it was crash damage

Advertisement