Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one way system for kilkenny

Options
  • 31-01-2010 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

kilkenny is going to get one way system soon in april i think, anyone think this will work, is traffic so bad we need one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Do you have any plans/info on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

no that was my next question for someone :), think i seen plans in kilkenny people few months ago tho, i'l have look on county and brough council web site's

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

I heard there were plans to make John street and Rose Inn street one way, that was it though

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Throw High Street into that mix and you might be onto something. I think it is a great idea to be honest. The streets in Kilkenny are too narrow for the amount of traffic that is on them. A good example of a one way system is in Cork, where from the Court House on Washington street as far as UCC is one way heading West, and the Maradyke Walk from UCC to the Court House is one way heading East. A very good system that works well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I saw the plans also, but I thought it was coming into effect when the new bridge from Wolfe Tone St. to Watergate and Vicar St. was done.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

if its planned properly, it'd be great, no more gridlock on rose inn street . . :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

zootroid wrote: »
    I heard there were plans to make John street and Rose Inn street one way, that was it though

Great. More streets for them to drive the wrong way on then. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Someone told me they had High st./John st etc one way beforehand and it worked really well.
    I can't remember when it was but a few years ago :confused:

It has to be worth a try, the gridlock in town can be mad sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

It was YEARS ago - during a Fleadh festival I think. Yeah it worked well, but I think the council didn't put it in as a full time measure as they thought the cars would speed through the city...or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

seen a plan for the one way system in the kilkenny people this week,
    going to be in place for 6th of april

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It does beg the question though, does this or does it not facilitate those losers with no friends/hobbies who spend their weekends doing laps of the town?

I think it actually makes life easier for them. Now that they have a designated catwalk to show off the gaudy, tasteless motoring monstrosities, they don't have to think about which roundabout to swing around for another run at High Street.

Additional:
    In case any of you lame-wads actually happen to be reading this, i would like to make you aware of the following:

1) No one thinks you're cool but your equally lame douchebag friends. Get a fking hobby.
    2) Putting cheap alloys and a loud exhaust on a sh!t car does not make it into a good car. It makes it a sh!t, loud car with cheap alloys on it.
    3) This also applies to plastic bodywork, bonnet scoops and ironing-board spoilers
    4) The people whose heads you turn as you rev your puny engines as you do laps of the town are actually looking at you with contempt, not admiration.
    5) 'Racing' other motorists over short distances and in straight lines does not impress them. It merely impresses upon them the utter crapness of the handling characteristics of your car.
    6) I am rather p!ssed off listening to your car when I am trying to sleep. I do hope you wrap your fking plastic-tin sh!t-heap Civic/ Glanza / Levin / (insert interchangable 15 year old piece of sh!t car) around a tree and fking kill yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I hope your not serious on point 6. Fair enough if they annoy you but wishing them dead goes a bit far i think.

Yeah I was being melodramatic. Any injury which would prevent them from driving would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I feel your pain fabbydabby. The cretins spent a considerable amount of time racing their sh!tboxes between the Waterford Road roundabout and Loughboy roundabout in the small hours of the morning >:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Disco Volante

Aww c'mon a little 206 done up to the nines with a park bench of a spolier and drill a few holes into the exhaust so it sounds like a monster tell me that doesn't arouse you a little? [/sarcasm]

I think Rose Inn St. as a one way system would be a good idea because if you are driving down there of a Saturday night you are liable to have a patron of Lanigans fall out infront of your beautiful Twin Cam. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kenzolo

fabbydabby wrote: »
    It does beg the question though, does this or does it not facilitate those losers with no friends/hobbies who spend their weekends doing laps of the town?

I think it actually makes life easier for them. Now that they have a designated catwalk to show off the gaudy, tasteless motoring monstrosities, they don't have to think about which roundabout to swing around for another run at High Street.

Additional:
    In case any of you lame-wads actually happen to be reading this, i would like to make you aware of the following:

1) No one thinks you're cool but your equally lame douchebag friends. Get a fking hobby.
    2) Putting cheap alloys and a loud exhaust on a sh!t car does not make it into a good car. It makes it a sh!t, loud car with cheap alloys on it.
    3) This also applies to plastic bodywork, bonnet scoops and ironing-board spoilers
    4) The people whose heads you turn as you rev your puny engines as you do laps of the town are actually looking at you with contempt, not admiration.
    5) 'Racing' other motorists over short distances and in straight lines does not impress them. It merely impresses upon them the utter crapness of the handling characteristics of your car.
    6) I am rather p!ssed off listening to your car when I am trying to sleep. I do hope you wrap your fking plastic-tin sh!t-heap Civic/ Glanza / Levin / (insert interchangable 15 year old piece of sh!t car) around a tree and fking kill yourselves.

get a life u sweaty goth/emo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

reminds me of that episode of southpark with the bikers trying to get attention.

Anyway back on topic, while they are at it, they may as well pedestrianise high street between certain hours. Would improve shopping in high street no end

OK. Will you show me how?

I don't have a car at the moment but I can buy a '92 Civic on buy and sell for 300 which should do the trick, and I think I can pick up a k&n induction kit cheap enough which would boost the shaft horsepower from 80PS to about 81PS.

I can get my mam's ironing board as well and tag that onto the back which should increase the downforce no end as I top out at 80MPH on the ring road and some gold spraypaint on the wheels would really give me the respect I deserve on high street.

Then I can hang out with you and all your ass farming mates in KFC carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm glad a one way system will be tried, if it makes Kilkenny more pedestrian friendly, then great. We have, by Irish standards a good looking town and anything that ads to increased footfall is a bonus in these times. I doubt it will put anyone off coming to Kilkenny.

BTW, I took my driving test on the first day the one way system was last used. The driving tester didn't know about it and he was all confused when we joined the one way flow. He struggled to figure out instructions for me as to what route to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

I don't have a car at the moment but I can buy a '92 Civic on buy and sell for 300 which should do the trick, and I think I can pick up a k&n induction kit cheap enough which would boost the shaft horsepower from 80PS to about 81PS.

I can get my mam's ironing board as well and tag that onto the back which should increase the downforce no end as I top out at 80MPH on the ring road and some gold spraypaint on the wheels would really give me the respect I deserve on high street.

State of you , smart arse I hope you wrap your fat head around a tree, dickhead by the way get a hobby and get off boards.ie for a day will ya?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

normal_hammer%20time.jpg

Kilkenny is such a small city and with the new stretch on the not so ring road, it would make access and exiting easy. It would be good to get things moving quicker in town by taking down the lights on the parade and at Parliament St. I actually think most lights should be taken out of it anyway.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Additional:

This is the most splendid piece I have seen in a long time thank you for brightening up my day. Have you considered writing for a newspaper?
    kenzolo wrote: »

Ha
    State of you , smart arse I hope you wrap your fat head around a tree, dickhead by the way get a hobby and get off boards.ie for a day will ya?

Ha

Really though if they do introduce a one way system I bet the SpeedBump Fairy wont be too far behind, so anyone with "1 inch clearance, laaad!!!" will regret going fast anywhere in the city (as will the rest of us).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note:

Lets keep on topic without the need to mix personal abuse and a relevant piece in the same post - its still a breach of the charter folks.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Additional:

hahaha thats pretty funny, those boy racers are ****ing annoying. Cant go into town without seeing them everywhere with those loud pieces of **** theyre driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kenzolo

you dont drive so you cant say **** mother****er.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

kenzolo infracted and banned. Probably couldn't see the mod warning just up the page a bit because of a touring car windscreen strip or too much tinting or peaked cap down over the eyes or something.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Licksy wrote: »
    kenzolo infracted and banned. Probably couldn't see the mod warning just up the page a bit because of a touring car windscreen strip or too much tinting or peaked cap down over the eyes or something.

Love the response :D

Anyway, a one way system, should be interesting to see how it goes

Is it really required? Save at 4PM when the schools are out, I can't see how it's justified. You can get through town in 10 mins max in even the worst traffic.

1 way systems are grand if you know where you're going, but a major pain in the rocks if you don't. I wouldn't say it will last.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

Its a pain if you ask me. Anyone that used to use fr hayden rd from castle rd to patrick st will now have to use nuncio rd. There will prob need to be a roundabout built at the junction of nuncio rd and waterford rd, it can be tricky to turn right there at the best of times.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Good point. I would imagine that a roundabout will be built there because isn't there supposed to be an Aldi there with an entrance off the Nuncio road too (assuming it goes ahead) which would only add to the volume?

Advertisement