Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one way system for kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

It's not solely for the benefit of traffic flow, pedestrian access of the town has some serious bottlenecks. Hopefully the one way system will allow the widening of footpaths in John Street and Rose Inn Street, it's badly needed. The friendlier it is to families, the greater the incentive to leave the car at home.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just so long as they don't put anymore random white lines bicycle lanes around the place, I'm happy.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

I blame those for the reason it's so expensive for me to drive, why should I have to pay higher premiums for these idiots? Any mods to cars should jack the insurance up 150%!! I'd say there's less of these aholes around now, on the dole leeching having to sell the fiesta!! Good riddance. A few more years of those on the roads and I'd say the council would have to have tried speed bumps on the ring road :mad: :mad: :mad:

That said I have friends who own Levin and the Toyota not-a-yaris-or-whatever model and they drive properly - they don't tack on ironing boards :)

Back on topic Re: one way system, would it not be better to pedestrianise? Kilkenny is really a city to be walked, as a friend of mine says it's "length of O'Connell St" (the proper Dublin one :D ).

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

Looking forward to seeing this in action on Tuesday. Not sure if it will work well or not, but at least less cars through the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Licksy wrote: »
    kenzolo infracted and banned. Probably couldn't see the mod warning just up the page a bit because of a touring car windscreen strip or too much tinting or peaked cap down over the eyes or something.

Too good, too good. I thought fabbydabby's initial critique of boy racers was good, but this is a total burn.

And yes, if the new system can curb those idiots it'd be great. If someone was running down the street with a knife in his outstretched arm and 2 sub woofers on his back whilst trying to see who's looking at him, he'd still be a danger to those around him, it's no different for those poser clowns in their micro machines.

And I have to point out, fair play to the much maligned taxi drivers who have come out and said that they'll negotiate their fares with anyone going around town because of the difference in time it'll now take. There's less scrupulous drivers who'd use that as an excuse to milk cash from folk.

Here's hoping the new system works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

new system doesnt work as proved by today. what a failure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

What happened today that it didn't work? I didn't get near town today. I was really suprised when I seen they were using Kieran St. as the go through instead of the street the other side of Dunnes car park/down the side of the Court house.
    Kieran st. is so narrow and I'd imagine it'd make it unpleasant now to sit in one of the outdoor seating area's for the cafe's like Dore's with all the traffic going by so close :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

The engineer on the council that came up with this system should be fired and the educational institution that awarded him a degree, should be closed down. Pretty much mirrors what is going on in this country right now, if something is working o.k, they'll find some way of grinding it to a halt.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

It was an awful disaster today! I was hoping it would work out and it still might but today was a sham. Very poorly thought out and controled. The people driving down Kieran st were doing so out of sheer frustration and werent supposed to do what they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

i drove thru town at 940 and the one way system worked a treat.
    By 2pm, with higher traffic volumes and the gardai making their usual mess of directing traffic flow, the whole place was blocked up. maybe it'll still work when everyone gets a hang of it. Hope it does- rose inn street is far too narrow for two way traffic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I was out of town all day today but I heard that it was so disastrous that as of tomorrow, it's been changed back to normal.

I find that shocking but I remain absolutely factless, so can anyone in the know tell us what went so horribly wrong?

From what i saw it appeared the problem was down at Parliament Street. There just wasn't enough traffic been released at the lights. Once you got past there there was no problems towards Vicar street.
    I hope its not like that again tomorrow.

Just to be clear, can someone confirm if Keiran Street is part of the new flow or it was as suggested just used out of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I don't really see why this one way system was ever considered tbh.

To be fair rose inn st isn't that narrow, its just at the corner at xtra vision that is a bit of a squeeze for buses etc.

2 things I would like to see:

Sensors on the traffic lights in town, some of the timings are ridiculous.

Drivers bloody waking up and anticipating a green light.. I don't know how many times I've been waiting at the lights and some gaum at the front takes 15 seconds to get the car into gear and get moving once the lights have changed, only allowing about 3 cars through on that green, so annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Davidian_ie

Come the busier days, Patrick St. should be interesting with JJ Kavanagh and Buggy's buses pulling up willy nilly to let passengers on and off. Why can't their be a dedicated bus stop for them that would keep them out of the town center? Surely they should be forced to use the bus parking area beside the Castle gates to collect people??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

only way one way system will work is turn off lights at parade and at courthouse and would even go as far as turn off lights in irish town anytime lights were off due to malfunction in last year there were no accidents and no delays at all .Traffic lights off for good its only way it will work !!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

it was a sham,
    people thought they could escape it by going down kieran street or down behind dunnes only to find when the eventually got to junction they could only join back up with the traffic they just sat in for an hour,, round and round they went a vicious circle with no escape ,
    people would not wait to go down irish town due to traffic, so turned down kieran street,or went down behind dunnes,,both these junction should have allowed traffic to turn left and escape city by driving up that that lil part of john street and away then out on to dublin road or comer road,,but they did not allow left turns and feed all the traffic trying to escape back into the mix again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    there was only one way out! irish town,,,even Michael Scofield would have came unstuck :D
    what moron thought this up,and has he been fired yet rolleye0009.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

argosy2006 wrote: »
    what moron thought this up,and has he been fired yet

He's probably being promoted as we speak.....

• Registered Users Posts: 18 underpantshead

any try it this morning? maybe it was just me but i just drove through high st at approx 8.45 and it may as well of been 5 in the morning, hardly a car in sight!! i was even early for work & thats rare! :D

I drove down John Street at 9.30, no problem. Actually it was good to see the cycle lanes being painted, should lessen the confusion.
    I haven't been near High street.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

patrickk wrote: »
    only way one way system will work is turn off lights at parade and at courthouse and would even go as far as turn off lights in irish town anytime lights were off due to malfunction in last year there were no accidents and no delays at all .Traffic lights off for good its only way it will work !!!

Cross posting your ill thought out idea, nice

You'd think your thread was enough as it were, anyway since you've ignored my question in the other thread lets try here....how to you expect cars to get out of the market cross if the traffic lights are off at the courthouse?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would like to ask a mod of this forum to merge these three threads. Does this one issue really deserve three threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

catbear wrote: »
    From what i saw it appeared the problem was down at Parliament Street. There just wasn't enough traffic been released at the lights. .

Exactly what I could see as well.

I don't know why but it seems to be working just fine now.
    I'd imagine that a lot of people had to figure out how to use the new system to suit them.
    Again very few cars using Irishtown/Parliament street for accessing town, they'll learn I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Maybe after yesterday people are avoiding town!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

femur61 wrote: »
    Maybe after yesterday people are avoiding town!

I will be one of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

it was woeful today, john street chocablock, parked in superquinn twice, had to get to mcdonagh and newpark close on each occasion. both took 15/20 mins down Irishtown way.

Think I'll be taking the bike out in KK for my days of work until this improves and I can't see how it will tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

patrickk wrote: »

You've already posted a thread on this and you were laughed at so much you gave up on replying... For you own sake don't do it again!

Petitions are been passed around to get the trial ended, council meets monday night.
    I've listened to a lot of people and some people seem to think that there were never any traffic jams before. Perspective lacking.

I think it needs more than a few days to see if it's a failure. Give it a month or more, let them make the odd tweek here and there and then say it's a failure. At least give them a chance. I definately agree about the lights, I thought the idea behind the one way would be to have traffic constantly flowing, having traffic lights blocking this really shags it up all together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

catbear wrote: »
    Petitions are been passed around to get the trial ended, council meets monday night.
    I've listened to a lot of people and some people seem to think that there were never any traffic jams before. Perspective lacking.

They need to give it more time for the trail, too many people are idiots and don't like change even if that change is good so they fight it.

We've all experienced long traffic jams going through the likes of high street, its nothing new

Advertisement