Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one way system for kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Cabaal wrote: »
    They need to give it more time for the trail, too many people are idiots and don't like change even if that change is good so they fight it.

We've all experienced long traffic jams going through the likes of high street, its nothing new

Exactly, this town is full of idiots!

Take the strip club for example, when that opened people gave out about it for months. Same with the gay bar!... Its the fear of change, if they had it their own way we'd probably still be living in the stone age!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

went down John street twice today and it was fine today, that was before lunchtime though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Take the strip club for example, when that opened people gave out about it for months. Same with the gay bar!... Its the fear of change, if they had it their own way we'd probably still be living in the stone age!
    Henry Ford once said that if he had listened to his customers in the beginning, they would have gotten faster horses.

Motoring metaphors and automotive analogies aside, Irishtown is an outright disaster, the de facto junction setup is utterly incapable of accommodating the renewed one way volume of traffic, yet the light sequence does not appear to have been modified to reflect augmented flow in outward direction from high street. Or perhaps it was, but regardless, they still got if wrong. What they need there is a roundabout.

This is a minor problem with the trial one way system, (the main one being that in general, it is totally fkin stupid).

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

KK advertiser said today that the trial system will be in place until September! Also points out the problem that the schools are back on monday which will add to the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

only way down kieran street is through high street,,,you can not come up parliament street and go down kieran street,,u have to turn left go down behind dunnes up rose inn street up high street and then down kieran street,, when busy this could take 35 mins did on tuesday,

and whats the law regarding two lanes of traffic, jonh street is marked for one lane,and to drive in center of road,,two bike lanes on either side,, yet cars over take and try to get by,and push car ahead into left bike lane,,while car over taken is driving into on coming bikes in right hand bike lane, does this make sense,,are they breaking law doing that,,,or is it ok to drive in bicycle lane and into on coming cyclists ?

Car park at library ,down by mat the millers,,,access? CAN NOT access it via michael street, no right turn? so again add to traffic and send all access to it via john street,

Green bridge,,now this one takes the biscuit ! go over greens bridge heading towards comer road,,first right after ur over bridge,, NO RIGHT TURN ,,? WTF..
    so only access to this street is via traffic lights at top of john street,, yay more traffic add it all john street why don't u ! or though a lil slip road at roundabout before u come to mcdonagh junction if your coming in from comer road,,
    tonight high street,,taxi heading up high street wrong way,,,and he knew it too, didn't give a ****,, above de law,,,,?
    he knew the new rules,yet did what he liked,,rose inn street tonight,guy got hit by car,,one car stopped to let him cross,,another car over took him and hit guy walking across road,, sure why not over take,, its a ONE WAY SYSTEM!
    wasnt serious, i doubt car even hit him,,guy helped him up and he walked off,

So yea its working well,, is it the norm for bicycle lanes to be going in both directions on one way street, or did some clever man in Co Council think that up,, Coz it will prove to be lethal,,,guys on bikes going towards traffic are having to jump to pavement to avoid cars that are over taken other cars on john street,

its funny how i saw all this, and i was only in kk for 20 mins,,can only imagine what goes on in 24 hrs,,

another thing i saw,,,guy coming up from behind dunnes he's at john bridge turns left into a car that is driving towards him on wrong side of road,both stopped , no harm done, he should of not turned left,,,but car should not be on wrong side of road in bicycle lane over taken,, or maybe he should,,

SOMEONE CLEAR THAT UP FOR ME! CAN U DO THAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I thomk it it will do wonders for the shops in MacDonagh junction. I will for one will do my food shopping in Mac Donagh. I loved Mac Donagh from the onset because you could get in and out but now I'd say it will be more difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Are you sure about Greens bridge? I haven't noticed this and I pass it everyday. Contra-flow cycling lanes are nothing new but I certainly wouldn't be their biggest fan. It'll definately be good for MacDonagh, you just prompted me to think, if MacDonagh is benefiting will other places be benefiting? Places like Carlow, Waterford, Clonmel and Portlaoise, our other rival towns for shopping. I still think the one-way will work once they sort out the traffic lights and people get used to it.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

argosy2006 wrote: »
    only way down kieran street is through high street,,,you can not come up parliament street and go down kieran street,,u have to turn left go down behind dunnes up rose inn street up high street and then down kieran street,, when busy this could take 35 mins did on tuesday,

and whats the law regarding two lanes of traffic, jonh street is marked for one lane,and to drive in center of road,,two bike lanes on either side,, yet cars over take and try to get by,and push car ahead into left bike lane,,while car over taken is driving into on coming bikes in right hand bike lane, does this make sense,,are they breaking law doing that,,,or is it ok to drive in bicycle lane and into on coming cyclists ?

Car park at library ,down by mat the millers,,,access? CAN NOT access it via michael street, no right turn? so again add to traffic and send all access to it via john street,

Green bridge,,now this one takes the biscuit ! go over greens bridge heading towards comer road,,first right after ur over bridge,, NO RIGHT TURN ,,? WTF..
    so only access to this street is via traffic lights at top of john street,, yay more traffic add it all john street why don't u ! or though a lil slip road at roundabout before u come to mcdonagh junction if your coming in from comer road,,
    tonight high street,,taxi heading up high street wrong way,,,and he knew it too, didn't give a ****,, above de law,,,,?
    he knew the new rules,yet did what he liked,,rose inn street tonight,guy got hit by car,,one car stopped to let him cross,,another car over took him and hit guy walking across road,, sure why not over take,, its a ONE WAY SYSTEM!
    wasnt serious, i doubt car even hit him,,guy helped him up and he walked off,

So yea its working well,, is it the norm for bicycle lanes to be going in both directions on one way street, or did some clever man in Co Council think that up,, Coz it will prove to be lethal,,,guys on bikes going towards traffic are having to jump to pavement to avoid cars that are over taken other cars on john street,

its funny how i saw all this, and i was only in kk for 20 mins,,can only imagine what goes on in 24 hrs,,

another thing i saw,,,guy coming up from behind dunnes he's at john bridge turns left into a car that is driving towards him on wrong side of road,both stopped , no harm done, he should of not turned left,,,but car should not be on wrong side of road in bicycle lane over taken,, or maybe he should,,

SOMEONE CLEAR THAT UP FOR ME! CAN U DO THAT?

Wow!

Seriously I thought that Keiren Street would have accessable from Parlament St the fact it isnt is my only problem with the whole system (other than the lights timing).

One question: Micheal St is it one way along the entire lenght from the old pool to Bretts or just where Micheals Lane joins on to Bretts?

Wow!

Seriously I thought that Keiren Street would have accessable from Parlament St the fact it isnt is my only problem with the whole system (other than the lights timing).

One question: Micheal St is it one way along the entire lenght from the old pool to Bretts or just where Micheals Lane joins on to Bretts?

pretty sure michael street is one way,,,if you come up out off the slip lane from library u get a no left turn sign,,,so again u have to go down and join traffic on john street,,although u can turn left at bottom of michael street as u exit on to john street,,i,m pretty sure of that,,as far as i can see the one way system in john street starts at demseys pub,ie the junction at kieran street and michael street,,

Are you sure about Greens bridge? I haven't noticed this and I pass it everyday. Contra-flow cycling lanes are nothing new but I certainly wouldn't be their biggest fan. It'll definately be good for MacDonagh, you just prompted me to think, if MacDonagh is benefiting will other places be benefiting? Places like Carlow, Waterford, Clonmel and Portlaoise, our other rival towns for shopping. I still think the one-way will work once they sort out the traffic lights and people get used to it.

you will notice it next time you pass it then ,seems no one obeys that no right turn sign,,as its a very popular right turn,always has been,,can see them marking it out and making it a one way street coming up from that turn,,so then it will not be possible to make that turn even if u wanted,,,,like they did to Jacob street,, that's now one way as well,, why on earth would they make jacob street one way,, its right next to a school,,and street is only few metres long,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

There are other issues with changing the timings.

The timings of the lights at irishtown are designed to allow more traffic exit the town. I was driving down vicar st last night bout 7.45 and the cars were backed up past the kilkenny inn hotel. I was travelling straight on and it took. approx 8-10 mins to get through the lights. I dread to think what it will be like at busier times.

They seemed to take forever and when i got closer i could see that the queue of traffing up irishtown was cleared about halfway through the sequence. We need sensors on these lights.

About this time of the evening, previously i would have expected to approach these lights, meet a red sequence and then get through on the next green.

Another reason to think twice about heading into town.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Just passed Greensbridge, apologies for doubting, can't really see the benefit. All you have to do is turn left onto Greenshill, turn in the entrance to Broguehill and then go straight across.

argosy2006 wrote: »
    as far as i can see the one way system in john street starts at demseys pub,ie the junction at kieran street and michael street,,

Yep thats exactly where it starts
    Just passed Greensbridge, apologies for doubting, can't really see the benefit. All you have to do is turn left onto Greenshill, turn in the entrance to Broguehill and then go straight across.

Ive just done the exact same thing, and i have never noticed it before. It does look fairly new though, how long has it been there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

There is no restriction on turning right at greensbridge to head to Wolfetone street.
    I was just down town earlier and the system seemed to be working fine.
    I think the Greens are a bunch of morons but this system has been muted long before they were in.

I'm really getting fed up of listening to the other bunch of morons who seem unable to remember the constant gridlock on John street. Selective memory.

And then there are the other bunch of morons who believe that pedestrians are economical non entities. Tourist and local like to walk around and spend freely in a leisurely atmosphere.

It was good to see people not having to jostle with each other to stay on the footpath on high street, I gave up going near there once the skanger bangers started doing their weekly Saturday review show but now at least there's more space for people to stop and talk and most important to traders, they can stop to look in shop windows; it's a win, win.

catbear wrote: »
    There is no restriction on turning right at greensbridge to head to Wolfetone street.

There's a no right turn sign just before the pedestrian crossing on the left hand side, saw it myself (in disbelief) this morning.

well fup me, i was breaking the law all week.

catbear wrote: »
    well fup me, i was breaking the law all week.

I'd say it's only gone up in the last couple of days, I pass it every day and never noticed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭bennyob

I passed through high st this afternoon and footfall looked a lot lower than it should for a saturday afternoon. Are people staying away because of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I think so was in MacDon and was busier. A lot of the shops in town have petitions in them to get the one way system changed.

femur61 wrote: »
    A lot of the shops in town have petitions in them to get the one way system changed.

Do they all have the same petition? ie get rid of the whole thing or does each street have one saying get rid of it on there own street and keep it every where else.

Also I havent seen the Jacob st/New st bit or the Ft Hayden bit yet any probs with it?

Or would it appear all is well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

the one-way system works well 1st thing on a sunday morning :D, maybe we should follow dublin and have bicycles for hire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Haven't read all of this thread but I want to give my 2cents. Firstly, I am in favour of the one way system. I think there are problems with it but overall I am in favour.

I think the main cause of the traffic is people who are too lazy to take the ring road/head over green's bridge to get through town. If people were to take alternative routes then the traffic wouldn't be so bad. Also, people don't always need to park in the centre of town. Fair enough, if you are doing your weekly shop you will need to park by the shop, but if you're just in to pick up a few things or to browse why not park on the outskirts are walk in? You have two legs, use them.

Also, if Bateman Quay was one way in the opposite direction, i.e, towards Parliament Street I think it would ease problems as it wouldn't be funnelling all the traffic towards Rose Inn Street again.

<snip - Removed on request from OP>

People just need to give it time and let the kinks get sorted out. If it still isn't working then you raise your complaints. Complaining and petitioning after four days shows that, once again, Kilkenny is completely opposed to any form of change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

I think the main cause of the traffic is people who are too lazy to take the ring road/head over green's bridge to get through town. If people were to take alternative routes then the traffic wouldn't be so bad.

The alternative routes to which you refer are not actually alternatives. The problem with the Kilkenny one way system is that you can't nip up other one way streets to get where you want to go, like you can in Thomastown, Enniscorthy, Galway, or similar. The bridges are the only ways across the river and these greatly restrict movement.

E.G. If i am on the parade, patrick street, castle road, high street, dunnes (basically most of the centre of town) in my car, the only way of getting to john street, macdonagh junction, newpark shopping centre, hebron industrial estate or anywhere in the environs of these places (basically the rest of the town) is by taking a ridiculous and convoluted trip either out of town, around the ring road and back into town again, or all the way to irishtown, and across greens bridge and back into town again.

Both of these options are equal in their crapness and time requirement.

John St is a central thouroughfare linking two sides of the town, how can they just remove it from the equation and then shrug their shoulders? The bridge is pivotal.

Having done this sh!t for a week now, I am getting rather annoyed and I would just like to say the following: Fk the one way system. Fk it right in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

The one way system will not be going anywhere for a while to come. We are looking at it for at least a month, no matter how many petitions are signed. When it was trialed before, a number of years ago, there was no pedestrian crossings on High Street, this time around they have slowed the flow of traffic down, also, the traffic lights at the Irish Town junction to Vicar Street and Dean Street are causing havoc.

In all, the one way concept is good, the routes need to be looked at, there is no doubting that, in the long run, it is the way forward. The one way system will force people to use the ring road, and when they do, a lot of these problems will go away. We have to remember that John Street with two way traffic can be a bloody nightmare when there are buses passing either side, or trucks making their way up.

Ergonomics comment about Bateman Quay funnelling traffic onto Rose Inn Street is very true, and it is probably causing a lot of hastle.

People are just going to have to be patient and get used to this. It is a trial, and when the trial is over it will be evaluated. The one sure thing is that local government are supporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I've had no problem with the one way system

other than some unnecessary delay at the lights where the sequence coud be changed
    e.g allowing cars from rose inn strr up high street while also allowing cars from patrick street up the castle road etc

oh and the truly awful nuisance of driving a couple of hundred yards more - which is not really that awful

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

I've been cycling down town for the last week, and I think the one way system is great. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I've been cycling around St.Pat's church and wasn't going allthe way down to Hotel KK to mcycle home so I just went round the barriers and up the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

There is a meeting tonight to discuss the future of the one way system. Hopefully they will see sense and discontinue it immediately and then take a few years to rethink where they went wrong.

I'm fed up listening to people on the KCLR saying give it a chance etc because it will be beneficial in the future. Yeah right.

They should have sorted out more car parks, park 'n ride buses etc before they gave it the green light or at least they could have thought to synchronise the green light to help it along.

Typical CC money wasting exercise. Bah humbug. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

There is a meeting tonight to discuss the future of the one way system. Hopefully they will see sense and discontinue it immediately and then take a few years to rethink where they went wrong.

I'm fed up listening to people on the KCLR saying give it a chance etc because it will be beneficial in the future. Yeah right.

They should have sorted out more car parks, park 'n ride buses etc before they gave it the green light or at least they could have thought to synchronise the green light to help it along.

Typical CC money wasting exercise. Bah humbug. :mad:

i agree. scape the thing

• Advertisement

I like it. It works for me.

Advertisement