Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one way system for kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

I'm going with catbear on this one, and if I get banned, so be it.

This city is run by the same rich self serving scumbags for years and the same 'knobheads' vote for them ad nauseaum. It's all about business in Kilkenny. That is it. Full stop. It's not about people. It's not about quality of life. It's not about the long term and making this city what it could be. The one way system sure as hell wasn't perfect (I found it a pain in the arse last week I'll admit) but it at least warranted a chance and at the very least it could have opened up a dialogue. **** the councillers, we voted them to be proactive for our long term benefit. I can only think of at least one of them that was. Honestly, do people think the traffic situation in this town was good? Really?

We're like the ****ing English media here. One bad result and everything should be chucked in the bin along with all the toys in the pram?

This town has a good reputation for sticking to it's guns. Whether it be the boys who kept Cromwell out longer than anyone else in the country or Brian Cody for consistently taking the knocks and still ploughing through competiton regardless of what criticism he gets. Critics are there to be proved wrong and if they're right, well **** it, we tried. There's a dignity in that. There's always been dignity in that. We've gone the worst route we possibly could have. We've always been a good city to give things a shot but the last week has been a bad joke and we're our own punchline.

Knobheads isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

By the way, I haven't been able to comfortably walk down Kieran Street for the past 3 weeks. There's some sort of paving blocks being put in by the Borough Council. I've had to walk on gravel. GRAVEL! I have arthrithis in my knees! I could walk up the back lanes onto Rose Inn Street but I refuse to. They say that in a few weeks all of Kieran Street will be fully paved and it'll be a real pleasure to walk down then. Horse****.

I suggest we torch the ****ing Town Hall right this ****ing minute until Kieran Street is put back to normal! Bring back uneven streets! I don't know what the new paving will be like but I don't care, I don't want anything to inconvenience me in the short term!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Walking with kids who have heavy schools on the back. I would prefer when sunny if they walked but the secondary school demands that children must bring their heavy books home, so if they walked with the bags they would encounter back problems.

In theory great but in practice!!!!

I don't think it has done the enviroment any good because people are going via ring road which is longer therefore (no rocket science needed here) they are using more fuel then = more fuel being used = increased pollution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 eaglelegal

It may be OK if you live near town,but when you are further out,but not far enough for the school bus,you have to take the car.
    Any way looks like its over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

It's all about business in Kilkenny. That is it. Full stop. It's not about people. It's not about quality of life. It's not about the long term and making this city what it could be

Threadhead, there are those who will argue that without business there is no quality of life at all, and surely Wales and Northern England in the 80's and early 90's is testament to that fact.

But anyway, I agree with you, at lease in principle, and while I don't agree with Malcolm, I have nothing but respect for any politician who speaks his mind and doesn't pawn vague allusions and wishy washy morkeshing speak off on us (like his party colleague Eamon "rolling out" Ryan).

His approach is the way it should be, though it probably won't get him much further in this country. I'd vote for him anyway.

Kilkenny is not a standalone case here either. For the last 15 years or so you have had qualified engineers and city planners being over ruled by councellors when it came to city planning and development (one party in particular - guess who).

Result?

Houses built on flood plains. Gridlock. Mass housing without the services to support it and Bertie's magnum opus in mismanagement - The standard by which all future economic fcukups shall be measured, an entire economy based on lending each other non-existant money and selling underspecified sh!t-heap fast-track papier maché houses to one another at exhorbitant prices.

It our fault for voting for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Here's my 2c, you probably won't like it but it's what I think. The one-way system should have been given more time. Being stuck in traffic probably generates more pollution than using the ring road (opinion, not fact). The old system was far from perfect, if the one way-system was given time it may have worked.

How much does it cost to drive around town between petrol and parking? Distances of under 5kms should not be driven, I know there are exemptions like doing a family shop (individual shop you can still do without a car), school run and disability. Some people say they have physical problems as an excuse not to walk or cycle but the reason they have pains and aches is because they do sfa to keep their body fit, won't even walk across the road.

I also feel distances of under 10kms should be cycled. Cycling around town is safe, healthy, less hassle and quicker than driving. With the bike you just lock it to one of the many bicycle parking places, quick and easy. I would easily beat any driver on my bike in town during the rush hour periods and I'd probably beat any driver to the check-out counter of any High street store at any time from anywhere in the suburbs. Just as an example, it takes me 4 1/2 minutes from the Waterford roundabout to the Tholsel.

I'm not anti-car or a tree hugger, I just feel it would be easier on drivers, pedestrians, cyclists and themselves if everyone left the car at home when they really don't need it. The towns traffic would be more fluid as would peoples circulatory system.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭gunner11

i honestly believe there's way too much blame game going on here and its getting everyone nowhere. fact - everyone wants whats best for kilkenny, everyone wants the overall amenity value and atmosphere of the city centre improved. this does not nessessarily mean banning car movements into the town centre, but its a delicate process to limit directional flow and its knock on effects. i keep saying it, but consultation is key & a new river crossing be it pedestrian, cycling, vehicle, etc is essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

femur61 wrote: »
    Walking with kids who have heavy schools on the back. I would prefer when sunny if they walked but the secondary school demands that children must bring their heavy books home, so if they walked with the bags they would encounter back problems.

Books haven't gotten any heavier since I was in school and I walked to and from school every single day, rain or shine, for most of primary and all of secondary. I don't have back problems.

When I got to college I walked in and out every day with even heavier books, and a laptop, and I still don't have back problems. I'm sure most people on here are the same.

Poor excuse IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

ergonomics wrote: »
    When I got to college I walked in and out every day with even heavier books, and a laptop, and I still don't have back problems. I'm sure most people on here are the same.

Poor excuse IMO.

My 8yo's school bag weighs about the same as my secondary school bag. My primary school bags were much lighter.

Any bag I had for college was the lighest by far because I always had a locker.

You must go to different conferences than me, poor comment based on your username.

I agree with the fact that a lot of councillors prioritised the business community because there should be an emphasis on making sure business can thrive at the moment and it is what will keep the city rolling.

But as illustrated by a very eloquent gent in the KK People yesterday, there are other people in Kilkenny too. It might be in the best interest of the councillors to plan a little better next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Come the busier days, Patrick St. should be interesting with JJ Kavanagh and Buggy's buses pulling up willy nilly to let passengers on and off. Why can't their be a dedicated bus stop for them that would keep them out of the town center? Surely they should be forced to use the bus parking area beside the Castle gates to collect people??

Complete agree have to come down patrick street every oter day and I can not understand why the can't park up outside the castle or I think ormonde road would be paerfect the road is wide enough to let buses park and still ave two lanes of traffice

ergonomics wrote: »

Poor excuse IMO.

When at college you are a lot larger. There has been studies which concluded that heavy schoolbags contirbute to back problems later on in life. Your user name should be aware of this.

Anyway I am not going to let my eight year old walk to school for a number of reasons and if you had children you would feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

Somebody texted me the lights are off at parade woohooo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Chalk up another one for the Diesel Navy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Purry Cat

Threadhead wrote: »
    I agree with the fact that a lot of councillors prioritised the business community because there should be an emphasis on making sure business can thrive at the moment and it is what will keep the city rolling.

But as illustrated by a very eloquent gent in the KK People yesterday, there are other people in Kilkenny too. It might be in the best interest of the councillors to plan a little better next time.

It's not up to the councillors to do the planning. They can only say yea or nay to what's put in front of them. Planning is the responsibility of the relevant departments in City/County Hall. And my, they're so good at it, aren't they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

Malcolm Noonan apoligised for his facebook comments on KCLR yesterday morning, saying it was probably one of the most stressful days he ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

So, going back to two-way traffic tomorrow I heard.
    Didn't give it much of a chance did they. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 swifty73

kleefarr wrote: »
    So, going back to two-way traffic tomorrow I heard.
    Didn't give it much of a chance did they. :mad:
    THAT WAS THERE WHOLE IDEA IN THE 1ST PLACE,DONT WANT IT IN SO DONT LET THEM GET TO LIKE IT.
    WHAT A PAIN.
    iF THERE IS ONE LANE OF TRAFFIC AND NO TRAFFIC THEY WOULD GIVE OUT ABOUT THAT TO.
    SUPPORT RECLAIM THE STREETS

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

I have to say what a load of bollox. I agree with and disagree with many things above but would still like to say this: I am so ****ing pissed off with the lazy/idiototic/generic complaining bastards, who would complain about the hassle of crossing the road to the shops there whole lives to be offered home delivery and complain it took too long, I hate everyone of those annoying bastards with there bastard Say No To One Way signs and there bastard petitions, with "only the public good in mind", who moaned every step of the way, who complained about the 70% drop in custom, I hate every basterd one of you. You see Guess What you have proved??? NOTHING. Absolutly nothing. You think: what a victory for us, The Public, over the tyranny of them, The Corperation. And you are wrong. You have failed, its not a victory it is a failure, the city will rot for as long as you continue your campaign of bull**** over things that MIGHT have worked.

Well Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lord ButterSlip

PS Back problems my arse, turn off the Play Station, open the back door and let the sun on the little dearies.

And Hey! as a healthy treat lets go to Macdonalds and siphon the fat out of the fryers on to a sandwich! WOW!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

system had a few problems, that could have been fixed,,but to abandon it is silly,, they should have just fixed the problems with it, like that no right turn at greens bridge,,
    its actually gone now,, they took it down,, buy what the hell were they thinking putting it up in first place,, it was access to two street with very lil traffic..and access to a school in michael street,,,
    all access to rose inn street from patrick street or castle should be blocked,,had no problem with that,,but one way system should have started at the pelican crossing in rose inn street,,so u can make left turn when u come down kieran street,,and make left turn when u come up from behind dunnes and turn on to johns bridge,this system stops traffic that comes from patrick street or castle road from using jonh street to cross over to other side of town,, we have a ring road for that! but it allows free movement with in the city for its traffic, its allows exits for traffic,so it all does not need to go down irish town,,,,
    also access to kieran street from parlaiment street should be allowed for cars or vans,, but still keep the one way system in high street, road is wide enough for two lanes from high street and a lane for access to kieran street,, roads are now marked like cars are 12 foot wide!!!!!!,,
    this is the system!!!!!!! one that would work,,, it means no trucks or buses or cars been able to enter rose inn street from patrick street side of town,,but allows traffic to remain driving up rose inn street and john street from both left turns at johns bridge and kieran street,
    wasnt that the problem in first place,,people using rose inn street and john street instead of ring road,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

or do away with all parking meters in town and instead charge people to enter city,,but no charges for commercials or people who work in city,,
    only charge people with no reason to drive through city other than to show off there car or to look at the ladies :D,
    just charge shoppers and such, same charge as a parking ticket,,so its really not a charge at all, coz they can then park with in the city free,

catbear wrote: »
    There is no restriction on turning right at greensbridge to head to Wolfetone street.
    I was just down town earlier and the system seemed to be working fine.
    I think the Greens are a bunch of morons but this system has been muted long before they were in.

I'm really getting fed up of listening to the other bunch of morons who seem unable to remember the constant gridlock on John street. Selective memory.

And then there are the other bunch of morons who believe that pedestrians are economical non entities. Tourist and local like to walk around and spend freely in a leisurely atmosphere.

It was good to see people not having to jostle with each other to stay on the footpath on high street, I gave up going near there once the skanger bangers started doing their weekly Saturday review show but now at least there's more space for people to stop and talk and most important to traders, they can stop to look in shop windows; it's a win, win.
    good points but the dinosaurs of this town cant see past there own noses.
    there,s some of them who,s businesses are quite and they blame the direction of traffic flow,hence all the bad press which keep more people away from town,than the system, that did need tweaking but also needed time.thanks for bringing back the stinky fume filled streets.great move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Yeah, while the system clearly had its flaws, it's a pity that they've thrown the baby out with the bathwater. Going back to look at the existing plan and tweaking it so that it might work better would have been a better strategy. You never know til something is tried whether it works or not.

The problem remains that Kilkenny's not built for modern day traffic and can choke up horribly with it. While the current plan had its flaws and understandably whipped up public anger, they shouldn't be knocked for having tried it.

As an aside, I for one enjoyed being able to cycle up through John Street without having to battle traffic :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I get the bus to Dublin every morning Monday to Friday. The bus comes from clonmel and is due to arrive at the train station at 9:15am but ususally doesn't arrive untill 9:30-9:45am because it has to go all the way around town!

They just haven't thought anything through, just went along and jumped in the deep end head first!

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    I get the bus to Dublin every morning Monday to Friday. The bus comes from clonmel and is due to arrive at the train station at 9:15am but ususally doesn't arrive untill 9:30-9:45am because it has to go all the way around town!

They just haven't thought anything through, just went along and jumped in the deep end head first!
    YES.BUT ALL BUSES SHOULD ONLY HAVE 1 STOP, THE TRAIN STATION.

Firetrap wrote: »
    As an aside, I for one enjoyed being able to cycle up through John Street without having to battle traffic :cool:

Its great people can cycle but your hardly going to carry your weekly shopping on yer bike!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

swifty73 wrote: »
    YES.BUT ALL BUSES SHOULD ONLY HAVE 1 STOP, THE TRAIN STATION.

Doesn't matter, their still gonna have to go the whole way around town when coming from clonmel because they can't come up john street!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

00Blaine00 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter, their still gonna have to go the whole way around town when coming from clonmel because they can't come up john street!

They shouldn't be allowed up John St. anyway, there's not enough room. If there wasn't a stop on patrick street the would probably go around the ring road anyway.

• Advertisement

JoseJones wrote: »
    They shouldn't be allowed up John St. anyway, there's not enough room. If there wasn't a stop on patrick street the would probably go around the ring road anyway.
    yeap. thats what the ring road is for. we dont need a second stop in town. get of at the train station.where ur bike ,car or taxi are.bus traffic we do not need on our streets.just a start on cleaning up our streets and our air. and on the weekly shop it can
    be done by bike and if you do it by car why not use your head about a route home and not just drive the way you always do.

Advertisement