Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes to studying medicine.

Options
  • 31-01-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi
    I am 36 years of age and I have a B.Sc. in Computers along with 12 years experience in computer industry. Finding work in this area is getting harder and harder. Physical sciences were always my first love.

I am currently planning a career change to Medicine or Vetinary am looking for advice on the different routes that exist to achieving this.

Is there any 2 year higher certificate course (leinster area) that can provide me with a means to getting in to University to study Medicine or Vetinary ?

or is there a 4 year course where a transfer to medicine can take place during year 2

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

G

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

Out of curiosity, does your leaving cert result have anything to bear on the issue?

How about the degree, was it a 2.2 or 2.1, 1.1?

I heard of a women who is 40 yo, and she is studying,
    but it'll be 15 years before she makes a living from it.

And the doctors rates are really coming down apparently,
    doctors are advising people they know, including their own family,
    not to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭techtom

Hi
    I got about 450 points and a 2.2 in University ...

People do things for different reasons .... that woman that is doing it at 40, more power to her if gets what she wants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

techtom wrote: »
    Hi
    I got about 450 points and a 2.2 in University ...

People do things for different reasons .... that woman that is doing it at 40, more power to her if gets what she wants.

Well you're 2.2 precludes you from doing the graduate course in medicine (you need a 2.1 plus GAMSAT) and I may be wrong but for the standard 5-year course it's 480 LC points plus the HPAT. So you're left with trying the mature student route (not sure how that works tbh but I believe it's problematic enough) or applying to the few universities in England that accept a 2.2. This is all for medicine obviously I don't know about becoming a vet!!

What about doing a certificate course and then applying for a transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

What about doing a certificate course and then applying for a transfer

I think you might be screwed. As far as I know if you have a degree already you are now only able to able to apply for entry through Graduate Medicine route. The criteria for applying is that you MUST have at least a 2.1 from the first degree you acheived. Masters or Ph.D. don't count for anything so you can't do a transfer. You must also achieve an adequate score in the GAMSAT exam.

Trinity do not do Graduate Medicine so I wonder do you have an option of applying as a mature student there? Possibly not as it is the HEA that set the criteria for GradMed rather than the individual Universities.

You would be able to apply in the UK though, or perhaps do undergrad in places like Hungary, which is a popular choice.

Vetinary is a little less strict crtieria, you should check UCD website for info on that.

• Advertisement

Hi Micraboy....

Can you elaborate more on the UK option,please ?

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

Hi Micraboy....

Can you elaborate more on the UK option,please ?

G

AFAIK two medical schools in the UK take a 2.2 degree for entry to GEM, St. Georges University London and Nottingham. The fees for GEM in the UK are alot less than Ireland ( £3500 for 1st year ), you need to usually get above 60 in the GAMSAT and have a good deal of healthcare/ voluntary experience aswell. It is to late to apply for the UK for this year, you have to apply to UCAS by October and sit the GAMSAT in September. You could still register for the GAMSAT Ireland now and sit it in six weeks. Try www.newmediamedicine.com for more info, especially this thread.

GAMSAT .....

I Have a degree in software and it is 1992 since i did chemistry biology and physics.

Closing date for GAMSAT is midnight tonight ....

I could not possibly be prepared for a test by 20th of March ???????????

late registration gives you another week or two I think, there is no limit on the amount of times an individual may sit the GAMSAT and the GAMSAT IRL and GAMSAT UK results are both accepted by Irish and UK universities, if you want to get a feel for the exam why not give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

My sister got a 2.2 and is currently studying in St George's in London.

Not an easy route, but definitely an option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭AKK

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I think you might be screwed. As far as I know if you have a degree already you are now only able to able to apply for entry through Graduate Medicine route. The criteria for applying is that you MUST have at least a 2.1 from the first degree you acheived. Masters or Ph.D. don't count for anything so you can't do a transfer. You must also achieve an adequate score in the GAMSAT exam.

Trinity do not do Graduate Medicine so I wonder do you have an option of applying as a mature student there? Possibly not as it is the HEA that set the criteria for GradMed rather than the individual Universities.

You would be able to apply in the UK though, or perhaps do undergrad in places like Hungary, which is a popular choice.

Vetinary is a little less strict crtieria, you should check UCD website for info on that.

Apologies for jumping in on the thread but can you still repeat the leaving (even if you have an undergraduate degree like the op with a 2.2), sit Hpat and be accepted on undergraduate medicine on the basis of your combined leaving cert/hpat results?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Yep that's possible, you just need to have all the requirements in one go. (i.e. if your course requires you to pass irish and another language, you can't use your Irish and French grades from the LC in the 80s, you'd need to sit them again)

The three main ways of doing medicine atm are Undergraduate entry from LC and HPAT, Graduate entry using a 2.1 degree and GAMSAT, or mature student.

As the graduate entry medicine route isn't possible for you, your best bet would be either to resit the leaving cert + HPAT and hope to get in that way, or apply as a mature student and try to get in that way.

One more option I could do ...

Do another Undergraduate in perhaps "chemistry pharm" DCU get a 2.1 and during 4 years practice GMAT tests. Then apply for Medicine

It would be expensive 2K each year x 4 then if I got Med 20K each year.

The leaving cert would be cheaper and then undergrad Med course fees are cheaper also.

Doing the leaving cert again is a tall order specially since they changed the minimum entry requirement and single sitting rule.

Repeat 3 science subjects + the two Maths subjects
    + "one other" and then get passes ((Ordinary) English Irish and French)

Its years since I done any of this stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Narkius Maximus

Do another Undergraduate in perhaps "chemistry pharm" DCU get a 2.1 and during 4 years practice GMAT tests. Then apply for Medicine

The leaving cert would be cheaper and then undergrad Med course fees are cheaper also.

Doing the leaving cert again is a tall order specially since they changed the minimum entry requirement and single sitting rule.

Repeat 3 science subjects + the two Maths subjects
    + "one other" and then get passes ((Ordinary) English Irish and French)

So potentially you could be 44-45 starting as an intern, with at least ten years training ahead of you at that stage (if things don't change dramatically regarding training schemes).

I don't mean to dent your plans and hopes, but seriously, unless you got straight into a GP scheme, your working life as a 'consultant' could be as little as 10 years if you factor in mandatory retirement at 65 in PS. (this is likely to change though)

Go for it, why not, if it's your passion, but go in eyes wide open, with an informed decision.

On an aside, does anyone know when the 1st batch of GEM interns will be coming on stream?

No you can't I'm afraid. Your 2.1 must be in the FIRST degree you did. I know that doesn't make a huge amount of sense but that is the rule. See this document from CAO

As regards it being too late to sit GAMSAT I recommend go and do it anyway. The experience will be good - get Griffiths exam guide as a starting point, and don't panic about not knowing much - and you might suprise yourself. Then sit it again in September with some decent studying under your belt.

I think the thing you need to focus on is getting volunteer work and shadowing a doctor. If you are going the UK route this will be very important at interview stage. newmediamedicine.com will be invaluable in helping you research your options. But seriously don't let the panic merchants sway you from doing the GAMSAT this March if you seriously considering trying for the UK option.
    On an aside, does anyone know when the 1st batch of GEM interns will be coming on stream?

RCSI who were the first into this lark have their first graduates in 2010
    AKK wrote:
    Apologies for jumping in on the thread but can you still repeat the leaving (even if you have an undergraduate degree like the op with a 2.2), sit Hpat and be accepted on undergraduate medicine on the basis of your combined leaving cert/hpat results?

My understanding is that once you have a degree you are exlcuded from applying by the undergrad route. However I haven't researched that option and don't want to make absolute statements about it. May be it only applies if you meet the criteria for Graduate Medicine. The admissions offices of the colleges will be able to tell you for sure.

Can one do Leaving Cert Ag Science combination with biology chemistry ?

MicraBoy ...

Thank you for heads up on "first degree 2.1" cao stipulation.

How ever i contacted admissions, and I am not precluded from going the graduate route (while holding a degree already) however ... Payment defaults back to that of a "graduate entry".

G

Sorry to piss on your bonfire but in order to get into GEM in Ireland you have to have a 2i in your FIRST primary degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

MicraBoy wrote: »
    My understanding is that once you have a degree you are exlcuded from applying by the undergrad route. However I haven't researched that option and don't want to make absolute statements about it. May be it only applies if you meet the criteria for Graduate Medicine. The admissions offices of the colleges will be able to tell you for sure.

I don't think this is true actually, I could be wrong but I remember being very surpirsed that when the HPAT was introuduced that there didn't seem to be a stipulation that those who already held degrees couldn't take the test and apply like a regular leaving cert student. I wouldn't go through admissions for info on this - go direct to CAO.

I was very surprised because I think anyone graduation with a 1.1 would fly the HPAT.

Also, not entirely sure again but I think that the first grad med graduates out of RCSI will be in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭HQvhs

AFAIK if you qualify for GEM (i.e. if you have a 2.1 degree) then you can only apply for graduate entry medicine and you are precluded from applying as a mature student.
    However, if you do not have a 2.1 degree then you can apply as a mature student for the 5/6 year undergrad courses.

• Advertisement

HQvhs wrote: »
    AFAIK if you qualify for GEM (i.e. if you have a 2.1 degree) then you can only apply for graduate entry medicine and you are precluded from applying as a mature student.
    However, if you do not have a 2.1 degree then you can apply as a mature student for the 5/6 year undergrad courses.

Does anybody have a source for this info? The CAO website simply talks about school leavers, would not anyone repeating the leaving cert or taking it for the first time, qualify as one of these?

RCSI only mention that to use leaving cert results that the leaving cert must have been taken within the three years prior to entry.

There's not much info on the process on the NUIG site.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

ORLY? wrote: »
    I don't think this is true actually, I could be wrong but I remember being very surpirsed that when the HPAT was introuduced that there didn't seem to be a stipulation that those who already held degrees couldn't take the test and apply like a regular leaving cert student. I wouldn't go through admissions for info on this - go direct to CAO.

I was very surprised because I think anyone graduation with a 1.1 would fly the HPAT.

Also, not entirely sure again but I think that the first grad med graduates out of RCSI will be in 2011.

No, I think RCSI will be out in 2010
    Also as regards the point about people holding a degree and then doing HPAT to get in that way, I'm open to correction here but I think your HPAT sitting has to be either the year you sit your Leaving Cert or the year immediately after so I reckon those people with a degree would be ineligible unless they went back to repeat the Leaving (which I know people have done successfully)

chocfan wrote: »
    No, I think RCSI will be out in 2010
    Also as regards the point about people holding a degree and then doing HPAT to get in that way, I'm open to correction here but I think your HPAT sitting has to be either the year you sit your Leaving Cert or the year immediately after so I reckon those people with a degree would be ineligible unless they went back to repeat the Leaving (which I know people have done successfully)

The HPAT can be done in the two years before entry to a medical course but cannot be taken unless you've have applied to sit the leaving or have already sat the leaving cert. It seems that it doesn't matter when the leaving was done???

Are you saying you know somebody who has a degree and went back to do the HPAT and leaving cert to get in? This is what I was trying to clarify because I think this is possible regardless of if a person holds a 2.2,2.1,1.1.

ORLY? wrote: »
    Yes, the HPAT and leaving cert have to be done in the same year.

Are you saying you know somebody who has a degree and went back to do the HPAT and leaving cert to get in? This is what I was trying to clarify because I think this is possible regardless of if a person holds a 2.2,2.1,1.1.

That's exactly what I'm saying-an Irish person but their first degree wasn't done in Ireland or the UK-not sure if this would make a difference to anything?

So, from what I can tell, anyone who wants to go through the standard med route needs to sit the HPAT and have a leaving cert meeting the points and matriculation requirements from one sitting, that was done within a time period specified by the university (e.g. last 3 years for RCSI).

And ye guys/girls are right about RCSIs first graduates coming out in 2010, I forgot that they took in a group a year before UL started.

What about dentistry pharma vetinary ? Do same stipulations apply ? One last question when do you start getting paid in medicine ?

As far as I know, GAMSAT is only being used for Medical Graduate Entry and HPAT for Medical Undergraduate Entry. Not sure what they use for the others but pretty sure that for the undergrad ones at least, there's no assessment test-just the (minor!!) matter of getting the points in the CAO

As for getting paid as a doctor, that would be from when you start as an intern so after your 5/6 years in college as an undergrad (Dep where you do it) and 4 as a postgrad. Hopefully, for me I'll start getting paid from July 1st! :)

Dentistry and Pharma would have to be the mature undergrad route.

Vet at UCD requires GAMSAT but you don't need a 2.1

Was just on the Trinity website. Theres is a link to Mature Entry to Medicine there. This is all it says (remember they don't do GradMed at Trinity):
    Applicants to Medicine

Applicants must present a Grade B and a Grade C in two of Physics, Chemistry, Biology at higher Leaving Certificate level or equivalent. All applicants must sit the HPAT-Ireland admissions test which will take place on 27th February, 2010. For more details on this test please click here. HPAT-Ireland test results will assist with short-listing candidates for interview. CAO applications for Medicine must be made online.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭briankirby

If all else fails you could apply to eastern europe,if u have the cash.Its where im applying to this year but,be warned that it will be very difficult to return to ireland after graduating from 1 of these colleges.Uk or US would be the options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭browne111

:confused: Can you do the postgrad in medicine in the uk? or do they only have it as an undergrad? :confused:

Advertisement