Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Routes to studying medicine.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

browne111 wrote: »
    :confused: Can you do the postgrad in medicine in the uk? or do they only have it as an undergrad? :confused:

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Scientist1

Financially, is it cheaper to do 5 years Undergrad course or 4 year Graduate course???
    I have a 1.1 degree in Biochem, MSc in Pharm & 520 points...(only have 1 science subject in Leaving cert though) - can I apply for both courses???
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Scientist1 wrote: »
    I have a 1.1 degree in Biochem, MSc in Pharm & 520 points...(only have 1 science subject in Leaving cert though) - can I apply for both courses???
    Thanks!

Unfortunately no, because you did so well in your initial degree (1.1) you are only applicable for the Grad Entry route at the moment. You would have to sit the GAMSAT prior to application also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...I have a 1.1 degree...

What's a 1.1?

What's a 1.1?

A first class honours degree :)

• Advertisement

Jessibelle wrote: »
    A first class honours degree :)

When did they start subdividing 'Firsts'?
    I thought Hons degrees come in 1, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.

When did they start subdividing 'Firsts'?
    I thought Hons degrees come in 1, 2.1, 2.2 and 3.

They haven't really, it's just become common parlance to refer to a first as a 1:1 for some reason? They're still awarded as above though.

They haven't really, it's just become common parlance to refer to a first as a 1:1 for some reason? They're still awarded as above though.

I know.

Both of my last two posts were facetious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Financially, is it cheaper to do 5 years Undergrad course or 4 year Graduate course???
    Thanks!

I was talking with a fellow on this forum who told me his friend was able to apply via both. I was under the impression if you were a Graduate, you could not reapply through the standard leaving cert/cao/hpat route but you had to through the 2.1 degree/gamsat route. Having said that, surely you'd still be able to apply to Trinity (as trinity doesn't use gamsat).

If you're interested in the price just I have a few tiny points to make:

You will have to pay fees for the 5 year 'undergraduate routes', they may be cheaper per year but there is no (that I'm aware) structured loans already in place for you. For the 'graduate routes' all the Banks have very nice tailored loans for the graduate med schools. So in terms of getting the loan (assuming you need one) might be considerably easier via the graduate route.

If you're absolutely certain medicine is what you want to do, you should explore the british medical schools. Again to the best of my knowledge, the Scottish schools will not seek fees for undergraduate medicine but the English ones will but they're are considerably 'cheaper' than Irish schools.

People say the cheaper fees will be balanced out by more frequent flying here and there etc. but that's something to find out for yourself.

Just as a tack on. You sound like you'll have no problem getting the GAMSAT score or the HPAT score required to get an admission, for the UK schools, In general, more weight is put on personal statement and work experience. If you've no work experience relevant to medicine (which a lot of us don't) you may find it difficult getting accepted in the UK, but there are some schools that are also pure Gamsat.

I know.

Both of my last two posts were facetious.

Ah, then you must have forgotten to use the sarcastic and facetious font again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭DustyMan

piby wrote: »
    Well you're 2.2 precludes you from doing the graduate course in medicine (you need a 2.1 plus GAMSAT) and I may be wrong but for the standard 5-year course it's 480 LC points plus the HPAT. So you're left with trying the mature student route (not sure how that works tbh but I believe it's problematic enough) or applying to the few universities in England that accept a 2.2. This is all for medicine obviously I don't know about becoming a vet!!

If your intrested in studying Medicine in the UK? St. Georges and Nottingham Uni accept 2.2 Degree with GAMSAT. Of course there is a competitve interview too. Very tough to get in. But ....

Ah, then you must have forgotten to use the sarcastic and facetious font again.

See, the thing is I can never remember which one's the sarcastic font, which is facetious and which means both!

maybe I should just stick a :p or a :rolleyes: on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

i think someone posted somewhere they were offered a 5 year course even though they applied using gamsat instead of the 4 year course.... how does this work? did they put down the 5 year course in the CAO as well (using LC points) or was it offered as a consolation?, and are the fees the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Don Keypunch

Unfortunately no, because you did so well in your initial degree (1.1) you are only applicable for the Grad Entry route at the moment. You would have to sit the GAMSAT prior to application also.

Sorry Jessibelle but you are wrong, if you meet the entry requirements and do the hpat you can apply for entry to undergraduate medicine, just because you are eligable for GEM does not mean you cannot apply using your Leaving Cert points (from years ago) and the HPAT.

Sorry Jessibelle but you are wrong, if you meet the entry requirements and do the hpat you can apply for entry to undergraduate medicine, just because you are eligable for GEM does not mean you cannot apply using your Leaving Cert points (from years ago) and the HPAT.

Oh that's good to know :) I was told at the open days this year that anyone that qualified for Grad entry was automatically shunted down that route, so it's great to hear that's not necessarily the case, especially given those fees :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 medguy

Hi guys. I finished my degree this year and want to do medicine. Just wondering can i become a doctor in ireland by studying medicine in eastern europe. Alot of irish people seem to be going to hungary and czech republic. Are the degrees comparable to ireland and the uk ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 who.dunnit

I thought the whole point of the GEM prog was so that students with a degree wouldn't be entering med through the undergrad route? I'm pretty sure in first med in UCC last year there were no mature students...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

What's a 1.1?
    A double first, which (depending on the university) means either first class honours in two separate subjects, e.g. Biochem and Maths, or first class honours in the same subject in subsequent examinations.

Kwekubo wrote: »
    A double first, which (depending on the university) means either first class honours in two separate subjects, e.g. Biochem and Maths, or first class honours in the same subject in subsequent examinations.

My understanding of a double first is that it refers to someone who has done a degree with two 'majors' such as 'History and Philosophy' or (as in your example) 'Maths and Biochemistry', and scored a First in each. However, I've never seen that referred to as a 1.1.
    Also, the link that you provided to the dictionary definition of 'Double First' makes no reference to the second part of your definition, so did you just make up that part?
    Finally, the poster that prompted this discussion said "I have a 1.1 degree in Biochem", so he doesn't have a double first.

So, basically, there's no such thing as a 1.1, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 weea.c13

techtom wrote: »
    Hi
    I am 36 years of age and I have a B.Sc. in Computers along with 12 years experience in computer industry. Finding work in this area is getting harder and harder. Physical sciences were always my first love.

I am currently planning a career change to Medicine or Vetinary am looking for advice on the different routes that exist to achieving this.

Is there any 2 year higher certificate course (leinster area) that can provide me with a means to getting in to University to study Medicine or Vetinary ?

or is there a 4 year course where a transfer to medicine can take place during year 2

Thank you very much in advance for any advice.

G

Im a 23 year old science graduate with a 2.2 degree options are limited there are a few colleges in england that will accept you with a good gamstat.
    I decided to repeat the lc last year got 565 in points and 208 in hpat if you take the year and repeat the leaving i would reccommend a grind school as they cover the course in a year and the teachers ae usually very good .
    also if you want to repeat i would reccomend hpat prep i used med entry as they hav an excellent online course which is easy to use at home in your spare time, practice is great to get aquainted with the style of questioning and with speed reading etc also you cant beat being confident going into the HPAT it will definitly improve your score if your cool and calm.
    If you go the lc route mature candidate and cao options are open to you.
    if lc is not your thing then there are pre med courses you can take to help with getting into med school in england as a mature candidate.
    If you hold a masters and are willing to sit gamstat then a lot of uk colleges are open to you.
    Best of luck to you anyway I just got accepted to med this year after sitting lc and i couldnt be happier so if you have a year to spare lc is defo worth a try as gamstat is not easy but i would contact ucas for info on gradate entry in england they are super helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 jeanie123

Thanks!
    Scientist you can defintely apply to both entry routes I know this as I have done this. Re undergrad you should apply as a mature student (as you only have one science subject so do not meet entry requirements for normal CAO route). Contact the admission offices directly as they have slightly different criteria for mature student admission to medicine. NUIG for example wanted required matric subjects and points on the same examination which I did not have (even when applying as a mature student) other colleges Trinity/UCC were more flexible. UCD would not let you apply if you were eligible for graduate entry. Trinity require a seperate mature student applicaiton form seperate from the CAO application. If you only have one science subject no harm to consider sitting a second subject this year as will show your comittment on your application. There is an interview for all courese for undergrad mature entry med and you will have to demonstrate work, voluntary experience in health care sector so you should also work to get this in place. You will also need to sit the HPAT.

I think financially it works out fairly similar as the fees for undergrad are from €7,500-€8,800 pa. However you have less time in college in the undergrad course so can continue to work and therefore work up less of a debt than the four year course. Def apply for both and see what happens, this does mean stting GAMSAT and HPAT but it is doable and the HPAT which is less intense than the GAMSAT is a good practise exam for the GAMSAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

medguy wrote: »
    Hi guys. I finished my degree this year and want to do medicine. Just wondering can i become a doctor in ireland by studying medicine in eastern europe. Alot of irish people seem to be going to hungary and czech republic. Are the degrees comparable to ireland and the uk ?

Go to charles uni prague,ul learn as much,if not more there than from any irish university.I have a friend there,he says its very tough but the education is exellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Can you apply as a mature student in Ireland even though you have a 2.2 degree?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Pookla

GeneralC wrote: »

No. Sorry. UL, UCC, UCD, RCSI and NUIG all require a 2.1 to be eligible.

Anthony16 wrote: »
    Go to charles uni prague,ul learn as much,if not more there than from any irish university.I have a friend there,he says its very tough but the education is exellent

Wtf does this mean? :confused: Medical curricula are pretty much set in stone.

The basic requirements as to what you need to learn to be a safe doctor are the same across the board and there is no upper limit so you'll just get out what you put in. Which is true no matter where you study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Pookla wrote: »
    No. Sorry. UL, UCC, UCD, RCSI and NUIG all require a 2.1 to be eligible.

You mean you can't apply as a mature student applicant?! Surely your degree is irrelevant if applying through this route. I am not talking about grad med here, I am referring to the undergrad route 5/6 years.

Sorry, misread the post. No, it doesn't matter in this case. They'll have to satisfy the mature student entry requirements instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

GeneralC wrote: »

Yes you definitely can. You can apply as a mature, and using your original LC points as an undergraduate. As you most likely know already, you need a 2.1 for the GAMSAT and Grad Med.

Advertisement