Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog "living" in carpark, what should I do?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place. At my local Tesco there is a dog seemingly "living" in the carpark. I saw him there about 3 weeks ago, then saw him last Sunday, he tried to befriend my dog and follow us home. I was there again just now and he's still there, he won't leave the boundary of the carpark and just wanders around to each car as they park.

He looks like a greyhound but with long hair on his ears and slightly longer on his body than your average short haired one, he is quite thin, I can see all his ribs and his back is very thin. I asked a staff member and she said he is there every night when they close, has been around since Christmas and that she gave him food once and he wolfed it down, I gave him some and he did the same.

Now ordinarily, I would take him home with me and try to find his owner. The problem is that the only estate that he could possibly be from and be going home at night to is a very, very rough estate, the kind of estate I don't want angry owners turning up at my door from for taking their dog. But at the same time even if he has an owner I doubt they are caring for him very well judging by how thin he is.

What should I do? I have called the SPCA before when I have found strays and they always just ask can I keep the dog and then never call me back.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Poor dog.

It might be a good idea to post roughly where you are in Ireland as there are some people around quite experienced in catching stray dogs.

I think its a good sign that the dog tried to follow you and your dog. When I was trying to catch a particular stray dog a few years ago he wouldn't let me get anywhere near him as he was so terrified.

I think the best thing for now would be to try to build up a routine with the dog by feeding him at a certain time every evening if you can. That way he will get to know you, and know you are bringing food and will begin to feel comfortable around you. if you get to the stage where you can stand near him while he eats, you may be able to put a slip lead over him slowly and catch him that way. He may feel comfprtable around other dogs, so it might be a good idea to bring your dog each time.

If you do manage to catch him would there not be anyone who could drive over and put him in their car so you won't have to walk through the estate?

Depending on where you live, there may be a rescue group or person nearnby who have a trap, which could be set up to try to catch him. Someone would have to stay with the trap, maybe in a nearby car.

In my experience, unless you have actually caught the dog, the SPCA's won't really get involved. But there are plenty of independent people and groups around who may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I would advise you to call a few rescues and see if they will take him. If you can deliver him it would also help (on their part, it takes a lot of time and effort to collect a dog). He sounds as though he is likely to go with you, because he followed you and seems friendly, but if he gets stressed or in any way aggressive please call someone to come collect him. Perhaps Dogs Trust or the DSPCA (assuming you are in Dublin) would be good places to start. You could also report him to the pound, but you must be aware that after 5 days he can be put to sleep, so it may not be your first choice. If he will come home with you, maybe with a little coaxing on a lead and some treats, it could be a good idea to try rehome him yourself (if you would like to do this, circumstances etc.). Dogs In Distress or Last Hope may also help you with homing (they are fostering based charities and you could "foster" while they could post him up on the site and help with the homing aspect of it, any fostering based charity could help you with this).

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Thanks for your replies. Yeah he would definitely be easy to catch, I stood right beside him while he ate, and I actually live right near the carpark so if he followed me he could just walk to my house, when I had my dog he so wanted go with her so if I brought her he would definitely come, he's a lovely friendly dog if just a bit skittish.

Vel just to explain my OP a bit, I wouldn't have to cross the estate to take him, I would just be slow to take him home if he is from that estate, this sounds horrible but I would be afraid his owners would know my house and not be at all happy with me taking him.

I have worked with stray animals in the past and would love to keep him myself, but I already have two animals and finances won't allow a third I'm afraid, but I definitely don't want him to be put down :(

I'll try some of the suggested places thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

Madra will probably take him in if you're sure he's lost. Contact details here: http://www.madra.ie/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=12&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

The GSPCA and MADRA (www.madra.ie) are places that come to mind in Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Spadina wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope this is in the right place. At my local Tesco there is a dog seemingly "living" in the carpark. I saw him there about 3 weeks ago, then saw him last Sunday, he tried to befriend my dog and follow us home. I was there again just now and he's still there, he won't leave the boundary of the carpark and just wanders around to each car as they park.

He looks like a greyhound but with long hair on his ears and slightly longer on his body than your average short haired one, he is quite thin, I can see all his ribs and his back is very thin. I asked a staff member and she said he is there every night when they close, has been around since Christmas and that she gave him food once and he wolfed it down, I gave him some and he did the same.

Now ordinarily, I would take him home with me and try to find his owner. The problem is that the only estate that he could possibly be from and be going home at night to is a very, very rough estate, the kind of estate I don't want angry owners turning up at my door from for taking their dog. But at the same time even if he has an owner I doubt they are caring for him very well judging by how thin he is.

What should I do? I have called the SPCA before when I have found strays and they always just ask can I keep the dog and then never call me back.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

That wouldn't be the Tesco's near Hymany Park by any chance??

Advertisement