Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Average G.P's net pay?

Options
  • 31-01-2010 9:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭

What is the average Irish G.P's net pay?Even an educated guess would be good. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

What is the average Irish G.P's net pay?Even an educated guess would be good. Thanks.

Each GP practice is a separate entity, and they operate in competition with each other.

I'm fairly sure that the instinctive reaction of any GP's reading this would be "That's between me and the taxman, and is none of your business."

Certainly if I were a GP that would be my reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

70k+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 jayteecorktemp

bleg wrote: »
    70k+

Got to be lot more than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭WalterMitty

A lot. It is not a truly competitive market with restrictions on numbers qualifying as doctor sin first place and up till recently it was illegal to advertise prices. Their income will fall in years to come with more and more qualified docs from eastern europe coming in and irish people being poorer and poorer and unable to pay current levels of fees. Also taxes will likely rise a lot more for higher earners like GPs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Could be, depending how many GMS patients they have. Average it out at 500 per GP. They get €100 per patient per year just for having them on their panel.Thats 50k for starters. Then add in prescription fees, maternity fees, call-out fees and you could get another 50k. Then there's the private patients. God only knows what they earn from these and how much they declare;) .And also note they all get big susidies for a nurse and/or a practice secretary. And you can be sure they all won't pay their staff any more than the subsidy they receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

And you can be sure they all won't pay their staff any more than the subsidy they receive.
    Why wouldn't they? And why should we be 'sure' of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Red_Marauder

Originally Posted by bleg viewpost.gif
    70k+
    Not really - this is net pay we're talking about after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

Could be, depending how many GMS patients they have. Average it out at 500 per GP. They get €100 per patient per year just for having them on their panel.Thats 50k for starters. Then add in prescription fees, maternity fees, call-out fees and you could get another 50k. Then there's the private patients. God only knows what they earn from these and how much they declare;) .And also note they all get big susidies for a nurse and/or a practice secretary. And you can be sure they all won't pay their staff any more than the subsidy they receive.

GMS/Medical Card patients use GP services around 6x more frequently than people who have to pay. They get the same €100 no matter how many appointments are taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Each GP practice is a separate entity, and they operate in competition with each other.

I'm fairly sure that the instinctive reaction of any GP's reading this would be "That's between me and the taxman, and is none of your business."

Certainly if I were a GP that would be my reaction.

Jesus, calm down mate.I was only asking a question out of curiosity.It's not like i asked a GP to his face.Thanks for the replies by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Jesus, calm down mate.I was only asking a question out of curiosity.It's not like i asked a GP to his face.Thanks for the replies by the way.

Oh, don't worry, I was perfectly calm as I typed that. Still am, actually!

• Advertisement
Advertisement