Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rafa to Juventus?

• 31-01-2010 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,012 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just hearing this on tv now. Apparently there is a verbal agreement and talks to be held next week. This is stunning news if Benitez leaves Liverpool now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Not according to Benitez. Wouldn't believe it till you see it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

A lot of fans would be happy to be able to get rid of Benitez and get some money for him, as opposed to paying him off. Still a question of who'd they bring in.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Wouldnt surprise me if he did walk away. Whatever is going on behind the scenes at the club is obviously having an effect on the pitch. I just get the feeling him and Gerrard dont see eye to eye and that one or the other will go before too long.
    I reckon for pool to move forward they might need to get rid of both.
    Gerrard as good as he is individually i think the others are intimidated by him and cant perform with him in the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

It would be the best possible news Liverpool could receive in all honesty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,037 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not according to this from the official site:

Rafael Benitez has today rubbished further press speculation linking him with a move to Serie A side Juventus.

"Contrary to reports in the Italian media this weekend, I want to make it absolutely clear I have no agreement with Juventus and have not and will not be meeting Juventus or their representatives or any other club," said the Liverpool manager.

"I have a long term contract with Liverpool and I'll repeat what I said on Friday that I am happy here and my only focus is to do my job as well as I can to get the team back into to the top four, beginning with the derby against Everton."

Author: Paul Eaton

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just hearing this on tv now. Apparently there is a verbal agreement and talks to be held next week. This is stunning news if Benitez leaves Liverpool now.

Ah crap, was hoping he'd at least stick around for another season.

Where on tv did you hear that, was it on SSN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Rafael Benitez has today rubbished further press speculation linking him with a move to Serie A side Juventus.

"Contrary to reports in the Italian media this weekend, I want to make it absolutely clear I have no agreement with Juventus and have not and will not be meeting Juventus or their representatives or any other club," said the Liverpool manager.

"I have a long term contract with Liverpool and I'll repeat what I said on Friday that I am happy here and my only focus is to do my job as well as I can to get the team back into to the top four, beginning with the derby against Everton."

This appeared on the official site not too long ago, so I doubt he is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Just to make sure that there are posts representing the rather large numbers of people who support the man and his project, I will be absolutely gutted if Rafa either leaves or is forced out now. I fear for what will happen to the club if he goes, and what will be said if it turns out that Rafa was the only thing keeping the club from sinking like a stone? "Oh, oops, we were wrong to hound him out after all.. ho hum, oh well, let's talk about something else".

Apparently there is a verbal agreement and talks to be held next week.

Apparently is always a suspect word when it comes to football stories.

GBX wrote: »

Phew. Thank god for that. In rafa they trust for a bit longer then. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Italian press had this, this morning. I stuck it in the Pool thread but nobody was interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

this story has been around most of the week. his latest statement should surely put an end to the speculation. wouldn't blame him if he did walk to be honest, how he has put up with the goings on at Anfield for the last couple of seasons is a minor miracle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

KRAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

It's not an immediate deal rather at teh end of the season but the Italian press expect it to go through. We recently sacked Ferrera and signed Zaccheroni but only until the end of the season by which time Rafa is expected to come in. Not overrly thrilled by it but at least Moggi's suspension is nearly over meaning he won't control transfers

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Not overrly thrilled by it but at least Moggi's suspension is nearly over meaning he won't control transfers

But the transfer market is where he really shines. :D

It's not an immediate deal rather at teh end of the season but the Italian press expect it to go through. We recently sacked Ferrera and signed Zaccheroni but only until the end of the season by which time Rafa is expected to come in. Not overrly thrilled by it but at least Moggi's suspension is nearly over meaning he won't control transfers

Where you getting your info? NOTW ?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Where you getting your info? NOTW ?

Gazzetta website, guardian football podcast and Football italia's website. Just because it's news you don't want to hear doesn't make it utter crap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Italian press is not unused to talking through its arse.

Gazzetta website, guardian football podcast and Football italia's website. Just because it's news you don't want to hear doesn't make it utter crap

Give us a few solid quotes at least.

Over the years Rafa has been linked with various jobs notably Madrid and Inter so Liverpool fans are used to plenty of rumours.

A story about Rafa sells rags it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

GBX wrote: »

I call shenanigans. I've never heard Rafa use the words "contrary to reports...... " :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This will be denied and denied and denied until some concrete proof emerges that the deal is on and the Liverpool sources will have to back down. I think it's going to happen, but not until the summer. If Juventus are offering huge compensation money, then the board might be ready to cash in on a man under pressure and a man who will be on his way at some stage in the next season or so. I've always tried my darndest to back him, but I think a change of manager is neccessary. The pressure on the man is gigantic, and somethings gotta give. He might be keen to leave too, because I'm sure he knows some of the fans are beginning to lose faith.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Give us a few solid quotes at least.

Over the years Rafa has been linked with various jobs notably Madrid and Inter so Liverpool fans are used to plenty of rumours.

A story about Rafa sells rags it seems.

http://www.football-italia.net/jan28y.html
    . Given that this thread only popped up now and the fact that this story has been going around Italy for a couple of days it's certainly not being made to "sell rags" as apart from Istanbul nobody's buying a paper in italy because of Rafa

Edit: Also, Juve aren't going to come up with massive compensation. I'd say the deal is that Liverpool won't have to pay any compensation to get a new manager because Juve will take his contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

What's the story with Moggi? Is he going back to Juve when his suspension is over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

why are people ignoring the statement rafa made this evening?

Paparazzo wrote: »
    What's the story with Moggi? Is he going back to Juve when his suspension is over?

Hope so and the fans still love him and were chanting his name during ferrara's bad run before he got sacked. I'd say it will happen. Not sure when his ban runs out though, maybe 2011

. Given that this thread only popped up now and the fact that this story has been going around Italy for a couple of days it's certainly not being made to "sell rags" as apart from Istanbul nobody's buying a paper in italy because of Rafa

Edit: Also, Juve aren't going to come up with massive compensation. I'd say the deal is that Liverpool won't have to pay any compensation to get a new manager because Juve will take his contract

Just read that article you posted. Where are the solid quotes rarnes1 had asked for? And that's an english website too for fans of Italian leagues, but not a source from Italy.

deisedevil wrote: »
    Just read that article you posted. Where are the solid quotes rarnes1 had asked for? And that's an english website too for fans of Italian leagues, but not a source from Italy.

Good lord. It's the most reliable source that you'd understand. Has people involved who were an integral part of the magazine and TV show

Good lord. It's the most reliable source that you'd understand. Has people involved who were an integral part of the magazine and TV show

You changed the link while I was reading it! That's a different link you have in there now with a different article!

An anyways, the article you changed it to is all if's and buts:

"If the club goes for a caretaker manager"

"It is rumoured that Gentile’s demands"

"However, another theory is emerging ahead of"

"If the caretaker manager has not already been appointed"

"If Benitez opts to wait until the end of the season,"

Not one Solid Quote from anyone in the know, just rumours and possibilites and not a sign of anything solid.

I'm not saying it won't happen just that there's nothing solid to suggest it right now and your articles have nothing in them to say otherwise.

Edit: Here's the article you originally had linked to: "http://www.football-italia.net/blogs/sw124.html"

If the guys from that website and James Richardson are in consensus that it's probably going to happen then you should probably heed their advice unless you can see Marcotti or Baldini disagreeing.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

For the love of Humanity Go Rafa go.

blinding wrote: »
    For the love of Humanity Go Rafa go.

Hell no, stick around!

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just always skeptical about stories about Rafa leaving etc. This story as been running for the past week anyway.

As AL says, this statement was released on LFC Official website this evening:
    spacer.gif

Related Links
    spacer.gif

/end thread

Edit. Just seen someone has posted this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,109 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If the guys from that website and James Richardson are in consensus that it's probably going to happen then you should probably heed their advice unless you can see Marcotti or Baldini disagreeing.

At this point I'm more inclined to believe Rafa himself then people outside of either club (good and distinguished gents as they may be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I have heard these reports far too many times. Last season it was Real Madrid for example.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had enough of the club, a minority of the supporters and the press but I was be very very sad to see him go. There are extremely few managers out there at the moment that I believe are on a par with Rafa. Hiddink is the only one that I would satisfied with and even then, I am not convinced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5ikYq72g3BGW285uFYeQdB3-BV41g
    The Italian media had claimed there was already a verbal agreement between the Spaniard and his would-be new employers and a meeting had taken place on Sunday with Benitez's lawyers to finalise details of the contract.

There were even reports Benitez would make Liverpool trio Dirk Kuyt, Martin Skrtel and, somewhat oddly considering their fractious relationship, Ryan Babel his first signings.

However, similar sources had suggested on Thursday a Juve delegation was in Liverpool only for that to prove to be false.

When asked about the manager's future Kuyt said he did not believe there would be any change at the top.

"As far as I know there is no doubt," said the Holland international.I've not heard there is any trouble or indication the manager could leave so if that is not happening we just want to play football."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Where did you get this,on the podcast he said nothing of the sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

deisedevil wrote: »
    Hell no, stick around!

We get it already...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm no fan of Liverpool but the sooner ye rid yourself of him the better you'll be for it. The guy defies all logic and explanation.

Where did you get this,on the podcast he said nothing of the sort.

Not the last one, I think it was the one before I'm pretty pretty sure he said something along the lines of maybe Juve will solve their problem about when reffering to liverpool. Could be wrong obviously but I'm quite sure he mentioned it.

Either way this isn't the only pre contract agreement the italian media believe has been agreed already. Laurent Blanc is expected to be Inter boss either next season or the one after that based on a pre contract

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

ok, just saying, if Rafa has indeed signed a pre contract agreement or whatever with Juve, do you really believe he would come out and say it?

im not saying he has, im just pointing out that people saying "well Benitez has said he wont be leaving" is flawed arguing.

kryogen wrote: »
    ok, just saying, if Rafa has indeed signed a pre contract agreement or whatever with Juve, do you really believe he would come out and say it?

im not saying he has, im just pointing out that people saying "well Benitez has said he wont be leaving" is flawed arguing.

I don't think he would come out and say he had, but i also very much doubt he would come out and unequivocally state that he has not held any meetings whatsoever with Juventus members, or any other club, if he actually had.. Would obviously just be setting himself up for a fall to be so blunt about it leaving no wiggle room. He's not a stupid man.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I don't think he would come out and say he had, but i also very much doubt he would come out and unequivocally state that he has not held any meetings whatsoever with Juventus members, or any other club, if he actually had.. Would obviously just be setting himself up for a fall to be so blunt about it leaving no wiggle room. He's no a stupid man.

neither is Fergie and it exactly what he did!

kryogen wrote: »
    neither is Fergie and it exactly what he did!

I'm not really sure what you're referring to.

Regardless, we're not talking about Ferguson. I wouldn't believe Harry Redknapp saying something like this, I would however believe Rafa. He's not given fans any reason not to over the past 5 years of his tenure.

Maybe he is lying, and for some reason decided to make a very loud bold statement which he would obviously know would be revealed later, but I doubt it.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what you're referring to.

Regardless, we're not talking about Ferguson. I wouldn't believe Harry Redknapp saying something like this, I would however believe Rafa. He's not given fans any reason not to over the past 5 years of his tenure.

Maybe he is lying, and for some reason decided to make a very loud bold statement which he would obviously know would be revealed later, but I doubt it.

he has played pr games before tbh and fabricated a couple of things publicly before, wouldnt say he is whiter then white like!

nevertheless

truly hope your right

Advertisement