Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Krav Maga in Dublin City

• 31-01-2010 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

Im off holidays this week and would love to take a class in Krav Maga.

want to go to a class with my mate does anyone know of any classes in dublin city.

Where and what times which ones are the best.

Your thoughts please really want to check it out I here its amazing to do.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

There's a place out in donabate
    Theres this place in the city center

Both seem like complete mimics.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

As far as I know the guy in Donabate is pretty damn good.

Can recommend Patrick, trained with him, knows what he is about and was the first Irish guy to bring it to Ireland afaik.

http://www.kravmagaireland.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

well I contacted krav maga ireland and this is what I got back I got a bit of a shock.

I just wanted to check out one class with my mate cause the you tube videos look amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

just wanted to go to one class and see how I got on heres what he said I was shocked by the price....

Thank you for your interest in our course.
    Out of respect to our students taking our course we do not allow
    observer.

The full course fee is €395 however there is a 50% discount for bookings in
    the next few days. SO the fee is just €195 when you book now
    To confirm your place you must simply respond to this mail and send a
    deposit of €25 to

Patrick Cumiskey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

cable842 wrote: »
    the next few days.

There's lots of KM guys out there... just look around - you should be able to look at a class imo.

• Advertisement

hopefully I will find classes that are reasonable priced.

it look thrilling the moved its exciting to do it.

If the course is 20 over 20 or so sessions, that's an OK price. 400 euro is taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Im off holidays this week and would love to take a class in Krav Maga.

want to go to a class with my mate does anyone know of any classes in dublin city.

Where and what times which ones are the best.

Your thoughts please really want to check it out I here its amazing to do.

And what attracts you to Krav Maga?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

well I contacted krav maga ireland and this is what I got back I got a bit of a shock.

I just wanted to check out one class with my mate cause the you tube videos look amazing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnZ0sfOiuIM

just wanted to go to one class and see how I got on heres what he said I was shocked by the price....

Thank you for your interest in our course.
    Out of respect to our students taking our course we do not allow
    observer.

the next few days. SO the fee is just €195 when you book now
    To confirm your place you must simply respond to this mail and send a
    deposit of €25 to

Patrick Cumiskey

Good God, I wish I could make this a stick as a warning to others!.

Boston wrote: »
    If the course is 20 over 20 or so sessions, that's an OK price. 400 euro is taking the piss.

That would be my thoughts too... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Don't forget to add in the price of Krav Maga™ hand-wraps, etc. People wonder why I'm so hard on KM, well this is one of the reasons.

For the price a lot of places charge for it, they'd want to be teaching me how to sprout adamantium claws from my fists.

Now I realise that not all KM places are like this, but there do seem to be a lot of them with slick websites, scare stories about the bad bad streets, and sky high prices.

Also the video you've posted is pretty bad. Notice how all the moves are pre arranged? Do you think he could do them against someone who wasn't letting him? (I don't)

Notice how all the attackers start off with un-realistic, exaggerated, clumsy moves, and then when he does his defence, they just freeze and let him fire off his twenty moves. How real is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

I was checking out the prices on one of those links to and it was 20 euro a class.

From what I have seen of it it seems to be weak Japanese Jiu Jitsu with no-gi or kata

Plus a lot of scare stories. Common sense cannot be taught and this is the most important form of self defense

I was checking out the prices on one of those links to and it was 20 euro a class.

From what I have seen of it it seems to be weak Japanese Jiu Jitsu with no-gi or kata

Plus a lot of scare stories. Common sense cannot be taught and this is the most important form of self defense

Pretty much Japanese Jiu Jitsu. Alot of the moves in the above video are too stylish to pull off in a real situation, but that's fair enough for an exhibition.
    Don't forget to add in the price of Krav Maga™ hand-wraps, etc. People wonder why I'm so hard on KM, well this is one of the reasons.

For the price a lot of places charge for it, they'd want to be teaching me how to sprout adamantium claws from my fists.

I met a lad who did KM in the Netherlands, and swore by it. I think it all depends on the instructor.
    Also the video you've posted is pretty bad. Notice how all the moves are pre arranged? Do you think he could do them against someone who wasn't letting him? (I don't)

Notice how all the attackers start off with un-realistic, exaggerated, clumsy moves, and then when he does his defence, they just freeze and let him fire off his twenty moves. How real is that?

Well, some of the chair things, I've trained in and they are practical. Obviously not the mounting of the guys shoulders in mid air. The real problem I have is that every is sped up massively. Even the moves which are real and are useful are shown at 3x speed.

I met a lad who did KM in the Netherlands, and swore by it. I think it all depends on the instructor.

Don't get me wrong, I've heard of KM places that sound pretty good. They train a solid base of striking and grappling that's very similar to sports styles, but with a survival slant instead of a competition one. Eg if you're on the ground and you get mount, instead of going for a pin or submission, you break free from their grip, get up and run.

With that video, it's not the so much moves he does I have a problem with (there's even some judo moves in there), it's the way they're all done against people who are playing along with him. I know it's a demo and all, but these guys are taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

Second this.... it's done against a highly compliant foe. Would it work at full speed and contact? Personally, I doubt it.

Pretty expensive... :( Most other classes (regardless of style) are around a tenner or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

that 50% deal seems to be permanent, just a marketing gimmick

Ive read and watched alot of krav maga, alot of it seems to be 'dirty' fighting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

I don't charge or pay money like that but if you are doing it for a living and people are willing to pay for it then what is the problem? The only way to objectively set a price is to set it at a point where the greatest amount of people pay the greatest amount of money. The profit maximisation equation.

If you do the same for water, heat, etc then this is exploitation but not martial arts/self defence which really is just a passtime/hobby.

where is there a classes for a tenner
    Baggio... wrote: »
    Second this.... it's done against a highly compliant foe. Would it work at full speed and contact? Personally, I doubt it.

Pretty expensive... :( Most other classes (regardless of style) are around a tenner or less.

Ug Lee wrote: »
    I don't charge or pay money like that but if you are doing it for a living and people are willing to pay for it then what is the problem? The only way to objectively set a price is to set it at a point where the greatest amount of people pay the greatest amount of money. The profit maximisation equation.

If you do the same for water, heat, etc then this is exploitation but not martial arts/self defence which really is just a passtime/hobby.

Yes, I get it's a business not a community sports club. However, selling the idea that "you to can be a kava maga master in 5 short weeks" means it's a money making gimmic. I've done maybe 200 Judo sessions, thats 4K by the above pricing plan, to reach my level. I'd have to morgage the house to get a black belt. The fact he's charging 20 euro a session tell me theres a high turn over. A mate of mine when to a somewhat cheeper but still expensive trainer, he was surprised when I started attributing the moves he'd learnt to Judo, BJJ, and Japanesse JuJutsu.

where is there a classes for a tenner

In Krav Maga? No idea, in other Martial Arts which teach you the same moves? Check out the sticky at the top of the forum.

• Advertisement

I got another email from Krav maga Ireland but offering full days

As previously mentioned you can take our course as either a 12 week course running for 12 weeks one evening a week or you can make a weekend of it, with us teaching you our accelerated defence programme in two full days from 9.30-5.30 both days.

which I admit is very cool but the price is crazy, I would just like a few classes ever saturday and see how I get on.

or I could just do a Oldboy and self teach myself from you tube.

well I did a lot of karate when i was a teenager and loved it still practice and work out using the moves.

I was try something new something fresh i feel that krav maga has got very popular in the last few years cause of jason bourne.

just would like to try it out see how it goes.
    And what attracts you to Krav Maga?.

I wouldn't recommend a weekend course. Most of the movement shown in the above clip require a high level of fitness which you would need time to build up.
    well I did a lot of karate when i was a teenager and loved it still practice and work out using the moves.

I was try something new something fresh i feel that krav maga has got very popular in the last few years cause of jason bourne.

just would like to try it out see how it goes.

Thats a movie, as in a work of fiction.

My personal opinion, the silly emails written by KM Ireland do nothing for its professionalism or the way the course is and I can understand why people think it's a scam. If it were up to me, I'd ditch that american direct mail/marketing crap and advertise without exaggerating everything so much and without the spelling mistakes that frequent the emails.

That aside, I did the course and continued training in KM afterwards in Krav Maga Ireland and the course was brilliant and learned absolutely loads from it. As a self defence tool, it's the best thing around in my opinion. Please note, I am strictly speaking about that school, have not tried other schools but I do know that a lot of fake phoney schools have started popping up recently.

If it's any consolation, KM Ireland were and appeared to be doing very well when I trained there, classes constantly full, and while the course may appear expensive, you get what you pay for in terms of individual attention to detail and your technique of the moves.

I've since gone on to Muay Thai training which is a great sport, a phenomenal striking art and the fitness required is much higher - but is it a better self defense tool ? Not a chance. It's a far better sport, and you need to be a strong athlete to do well at it whereas in KM, you can be moderately overweight and be able to protect yourself as well as the next person but like everything in life, the fitter you are, the better you'd tend to be.

To sum it up, KM is a more practical tool to learn, it's very easy to learn, and is extremely effective and is the best self defence tool going in my opinion.

Muay Thai is a much more athletic sport and the technique and fitness required is extremely high to be successful at that sport but it's not more effective than KM for self defence, absolutely no way.

I'll still be going back to KM to do refresher courses and to do advanced techniques etc whereas Muay Thai is going to be my art that I practice frequently and for many more years than I will at KM.

If you want a sport, learn a martial art, if you want self defence, learn KM. Ideally, do both like I did.

One more thing, I think if any of you have such a problem with the price you are paying then don't pay. Simple as that.

If you do decide to pay and you're unhappy with it - I do remember one guy being unhappy and wanting his money back, something to do with not covering how to deal with someone being bottled or how to bottle someone in the first class or something like that.
    We are so confident that our Self Defence training can make a lasting change for you that we offer our unique Money Back Guarantee.

Fair deal to me, phrased like an American cheese bag would phrase it "unique money back guarantee" but whatever, take advantage of it and get your money back.

But don't knock it until you try it.

Just to be clear, I don't think any one said KM Ireland was a scam. I said I felt it was a mimic, but i doubt the chap takes your money and runs. Talking to a mate who did KM down by the liberties in Dublin, he said he paid 10 euro per session but had to pay it all in advance. I think Tallaght01 trained at the same club here

Oh yeah don't worry, I'm not affiliated in any shape or form and I know you didn't say it was a scam. I just know how these threads usually descend into such nonsense because some people (minority) who are doing other martial arts develop a sort of fanboy-ism type behaviour and act as if they are intimidated that people can learn self-defense moves so quickly and hence it must be fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

TheEntrepreneur, I realise you said some of what you wrote was "your opinion" but even so, you make some great generalisations.
    As a self defence tool, it's the best thing around in my opinion

Well, there are other systems out there that could CERTAINLY say the same thing.
    Muay Thai is a much more athletic sport and the technique and fitness required is extremely high to be successful at that sport but it's not more effective than KM for self defence, absolutely no way.

Muaythai encompasses a lot more than JUST the ring sport. You have Krabi Krabong which is the original battlefield art utilising weaponary, empty hand and grappling. There is also Lerdrit which uses techniques that are illegal in the ring. I would agree that a sport does not necessarily translate in the street BUT as I mention above don't dismiss Muaythai as just a sport.

Dave Joyce wrote: »
    TheEntrepreneur, I realise you said some of what you wrote was "your opinion" but even so, you make some great generalisations.

Well, there are other systems out there that could CERTAINLY say the same thing.

Muaythai encompasses a lot more than JUST the ring sport. You have Krabi Krabong which is the original battlefield art utilising weaponary, empty hand and grappling. There is also Lerdrit which uses techniques that are illegal in the ring. I would agree that a sport does not necessarily translate in the street BUT as I mention above don't dismiss Muaythai as just a sport.

I'm sure there are other systems out there that are similar and could certainly say the same thing, but not in Ireland and not from what I've seen. So on that point, I think my point is a very valid one. Basically, I think you're on the right track when it comes to any of the Krav varieties whether it be standard krav maga or commando krav maga (Moni Aizik)

I was talking about Thailands national past time, that version of Muay Thai. And compared to that, Krav Maga as a self defence tool is far better. Don't really think it's comparable to Krabi Krabong which uses mainly swords.

Lerdrit seems similar enough alright but don't think that's one for the average joe and I am pretty sure the technique required is much higher than that for Krav. However, point taken on board, Muay Thai and it's origins do make it more than just a sport.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Muay Thai and prefer it to Krav as a sport and hobby but not as a self defence tool.

• Advertisement

but not in Ireland and not from what I've seen. So on that point, I think my point is a very valid one.

Just how many systems have you seen then? I don't agree that KM is the best in Ireland by any means - But that's just my opinion.

Just how many systems have you seen then? I don't agree that KM is the best in Ireland by any means - But that's just my opinion.

What's the difference between KM and your class for example ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Niall Keane

I think what annoys most proficient martial artists about the Krav jingle are the un-testable assertions (and how these assertions are aimed at promoting Krav at the expense of other arts, kinda what BJJ did at first, but at least the Gracies had the stones to follow up on the assertions):

That they are the best around in self defence, “from their opinion” of course. That this is due to military testing, a revolutionary Israeli military art, maybe I shouldn’t then mention that a very good friend of mine is a commander of the northern air force in Israel - Ravid Shay, who regularly flew behind enemy lines, and was trained to survive being shot down and tortured by his friendly neighbouring states, that his self defence system, hence we became friends is Practical Tai Chi Chuan. This would kinda mess up the myth a bit? You see not even all their top men believe in Krav.

That lads that could tear a typical Krav guy apart in seconds, you know trained and experienced full contact fighters with ring mileage, are just athletes and know nothing about self defence. ( Take my own style, we train for sanshou competitions to test ourselves, and have won countless international titles, but it doesn’t end there, we train sabre, sword and spear with equal intensity, so stand before a trained PTTCI man with a blade and he’ll probably have more experience than most, and be able to back all that up with ring craft such as faints and draws, positioning, angle, rhythm, timing etc. etc. etc., i.e. chances are they’ll f@*@ you up immediately) Dave Joyce spoke similarly about the broad nature of Muay Thai but this was dismissed ... foolish! What I’m saying here is just because an art is famous for its ring worthiness does not mean that it only practices for the ring, it just means that what is does has been tested and has not fallen short!

You see all true martial artists have actually tested their abilities, and know that there is no such thing as perfection in people or styles, or training methods, and they never make generalisations save that untested self defence is like practicing the backstroke in your bed as far as swimming goes. But this generalisation has been tested, every fighter knows what he was like when he knew nothing, remembers how difficult it was to get a technique and then how much greater the demand was to actually apply it under pressure. And being shouted at, running a gauntlet, or wearing a rubber suit is not pressure it’s a game. A wooden gun is a toy! Fighters know that ultimately proficiency it is up to the individual, and how hard he trains, and that although most styles express leanings to preferred methods hence “style” it is foolish to dismiss them just because one aspect of what they do does not conform to your own truths.

Really I am wasting my time writing this, those who know this already see it clearly, they’re probably shaking their heads wondering why I bothered, no point teaching a pig to sing, wastes your time and only annoys the pig and all, guess they’re right, experience comes with well... experience, all else is infantile fantasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

marvelous post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

Very well put Niall and definately not a waste of time saying it.

the broad nature of Muay Thai but this was dismissed ... foolish! What I’m saying here is just because an art is famous for its ring worthiness does not mean that it only practices for the ring, it just means that what is does has been tested and has not fallen short!

Very good post Niall and that's a great point too.

In all honesty, if I was a betting man, my cash would be on a M.T. guy way before someone that does K.M. - just look at the pressure testing, as opposed to the highly compliant training of KM.

• Advertisement

I keep gettin emails from k m ireland. ah ah

I keep gettin emails from k m ireland. ah ah

They probably have some kind of automatic mailing list. Ask them to take you off. I doubt they're running a spam operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

Very good post Niall and that's a great point too.

In all honesty, if I was a betting man, my cash would be on a M.T. guy way before someone that does K.M. - just look at the pressure testing, as opposed to the highly compliant training of KM.

I like you Rob so don't treat this as hostile.

But the same critera that you are using to judge Krav Maga (lack of pressure testing compared to Muay Thai) could also be used to judge the Urban Combatives that you teach.

I like you Rob so don't treat this as hostile.

No worries.... not at all mate. :)

But the same critera that you are using to judge Krav Maga (lack of pressure testing compared to Muay Thai) could also be used to judge the Urban Combatives that you teach.

It's a fair point you make and I agree with you 100%. I think everything should be "pressure tested" (within reasonable safety parameters of course) - that totally includes the stuff we do, and in fairness we all train with full contact (in class and on the instructors courses, etc). Lee pretty much has pared down everything, so you won't see any fine motor skills per se, if something doesn't work at full speed and contact it's binned.

Believe it or not I'm not having a pop at KM per se - I'm just pretty much just disagreeing with Entrepreneurs assessment of it being the best thing in Ireland for self-protection (and I'm not trying to sell UC or Combatives to anyone). In all honesty, and this is just my opinion, I've not been impressed with any Krav Maga as a system (what I've seen so far anyway). If I see something that comes along to change my mind I'll be the first one to give them praise and credit.

However what I would say is that I've seen some very talented KM instructors (especially some of the lads I met in the UK), who I've not doubt they could handle themselves. But more because they were just darn good athletes, naturally tough and train feckin' hard.

I firmly agree with Carl Cestari's assessment of "by rote combinations" (or specific defenses) they just don't work under duress. And unfortunately, from what I've seen, KM has far too many of them, and it relies on their use. The other thing I should mention is that I have little faith in any martial art that uses multiple specific defenses to deal with a live situation. So it's not me having a beef with KM. I did American Kenpo for years and I'd say the same thing. Ironically, someone said to Ed Parker that those techniques won't work in a real situation. Parker agreed, and pointed out that they were the "ABCs of motion" and used as tool. But given the fact that "action beats reaction" at close range then, you're starting off in a bad position.

In fairness I think Niall said it better than I could.

That's just my tuppence worth. :)

Cheers,

R.

I forgot to mention... Now as I'm getting old (nearly 40) my brain isn't what it used to be :) - I remember seeing a program about KM a while ago - might have been the human weapon can't quite remember now. I saw a few different KM instructors on it. Most of them were using specific defenses (or pretty martial artsy moves) which I was'nt mad on.

However, what I was pretty impressed with was the KM commando pressure testing (took place on a military base if I remember correctly). That looked like the right stuff, but there was nothing fancy or anything that resembled KM (from what I could compare it to anyway) - it was totally gross motor, but was getting the job done. Now, if I saw stuff like that being taught by the majority - I'd be impressed by KM.

I should point out that what I'm saying, I can't take any credit for it. Most of it comes from bigger and better people with a hell of a lot more experience than I'll ever have. A lot of people in the MA community, who don't use compliant training, may disagree the best way to get the job done, but they all have pretty much the same idea of what won't work to begin with.

What has been found to work under duress (increasing the probabilities as nothing can ever be guaranteed) is using something that "concept driven". Basically any material that uses the least amount of conscious thought as possible. Rather than having a bazillion ways to defend yourself against, a grab, punch or whatever (using fine motor skills techniques). Just have one principal - hold on of his limb while you start to continuously hit him. Nothing fancy or convoluted just "hold and hit" (full on gross motor :)). That will take care of every frontal grab, weather it's a choke, one handed, two handed. As opposed to havening a defense for a one handed grab, then a different one for a two handed grab, another one for a wrist grab and so on.

I should also point out tho', that you wouldn't ever wait to be grabbed or punched by someone in the first place, you'd always seek to take a more "pro-active" approach. I think the 360 degree defense (or blocking) idea in KM is flawed too. As action beats reaction at close range. I've only ever seen this work with a compliant training partner. If that worked you'd see it used in the ring all the time, but you never do because it's too slow and they know it's coming!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ziodro

I was visiting couple of krav maga shools in Ireland, but if you are really interested in really krav maga training, no bull, no talk, bla bla bla bla, only training and practise, and ones again practise, so check www.kravmagagroup.ie, or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqmFnSAMxhM, report from "Toys for Big Boys". Students of Krav Maga Group are on this film.
    The students are the best sample what kind of school are you going choose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Tony Blauer, if I remeber, was offering instructor certification on the basis of a weekend course in adverts in Irish Fighter a number of years ago

OK, just checked out the website, he still does this. Personally, this does not inspire confidence in the system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 spidey7

cletus wrote: »
    Tony Blauer, if I remeber, was offering instructor certification on the basis of a weekend course in adverts in Irish Fighter a number of years ago

OK, just checked out the website, he still does this. Personally, this does not inspire confidence in the system

check it out before you cancel any perceived loss of inspiration!

i dont remember seeing any advert in irish fighter for this???
    This stuff has been high end specialist training for years and is only open to the public very recently, also the 'instructor' course is 4 days with pre assignments, pre loading materials, post course assignments and lesson plan design.

again dont knock it til ya try it!!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

you still only get 4 days training, right?

It would be like me training with Fergal Quinlan, and instead of having 3 nights a week training, I had one, and two nights homework

However, now that I think about it, it was possibly an English guy offering something similar in RBSD

I'm not dismissing Tony Blauer's personal ability here, as I know nothing of it. It just seems that, regardless of the homework you have to do, 4 days is not long enough to certify somebody to be an instructor.

Would you take driving lessons from a guy who only drove a car for 4 days, and spet 6 months reading books about driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Netherlands

Some great stuff here, I attended Patrick’s course (foundation level) and it was very good from my POV as a weekend warrior. Does anyone know where Patricks advanced courses are in Portbello and yes I have mailed him but no reply.

Thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭obsydion

Some great stuff here, I attended Patrick’s course (foundation level) and it was very good from my POV as a weekend warrior. Does anyone know where Patricks advanced courses are in Portbello and yes I have mailed him but no reply.

Thanks guys

Sorry to reanimate an old thread but the 12 week course starts tomorrow and I have had absolutely no proper response from Patrick and co. regarding location/venue and training times. I've tried email and I just get the automated responses, I left a few messages on the mobile but I got replies asking me to give him my email, which no doubt means I'll get more useless email propaganda. I want to just turn up and suss out what the deal is. Anyone have any idea where it is and what time???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

obsydion wrote: »
    Sorry to reanimate an old thread but the 12 week course starts tomorrow and I have had absolutely no proper response from Patrick and co. regarding location/venue and training times. I've tried email and I just get the automated responses, I left a few messages on the mobile but I got replies asking me to give him my email, which no doubt means I'll get more useless email propaganda. I want to just turn up and suss out what the deal is. Anyone have any idea where it is and what time???

Why beg to go to a school that doesn't reply to you? And why sign up for 12 weeks at the outset?

I don't know where you are, but if you want a very very tough training environment, with hard sparring, pop along to these guys:

www.kravmagagroup.ie

Or if you want an easier environment, where it will take you longer to become proficient, go for:

http://www.kmireland.com/index.php

Personally I think too many of the clubs represent the worst of KM in Ireland...ie the instructors were black belts in another style, and did a quick KM instructors course, and are now KM instructors (such as in the kmireland.com link above). I have a mate who' been training there for about a year, and hasn't sparred yet. No sparring = no use. So beware it's a slow progress.

There's hardly any KM instructors in Ireland who started KM as novices, which is, frankly, bull****.

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Why beg to go to a school that doesn't reply to you? And why sign up for 12 weeks at the outset?

I don't know where you are, but if you want a very very tough training environment, with hard sparring, pop along to these guys:

www.kravmagagroup.ie

Or if you want an easier environment, where it will take you longer to become proficient, go for:

http://www.kmireland.com/index.php

Personally I think too many of the clubs represent the worst of KM in Ireland...ie the instructors were black belts in another style, and did a quick KM instructors course, and are now KM instructors (such as in the kmireland.com link above). I have a mate who' been training there for about a year, and hasn't sparred yet. No sparring = no use. So beware it's a slow progress.

There's hardly any KM instructors in Ireland who started KM as novices, which is, frankly, bull****.

Thanks for knocking some sense into me there. I was always suspicious from the start with all the scare tactic propoganda and TV airtime this guy got. I'm sure he and his instructors offer a good programme but committing to 12 weeks is a bit much.

I'm actually in Ranelagh but work in the city centre. Obviously I would be up for the most authentic version, being the Krav Maga group but going out past St. James is too far for me as I don't have a car. Neither do I wish to commute that far after work and try to get back. Damnit I wish I had a car! I have a hunch as to where Krav Maga Ireland trains so I might just track them down after work and see what's the deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

obsydion wrote: »
    Thanks for knocking some sense into me there. I was always suspicious from the start with all the scare tactic propoganda and TV airtime this guy got. I'm sure he and his instructors offer a good programme but committing to 12 weeks is a bit much.

I'm actually in Ranelagh but work in the city centre. Obviously I would be up for the most authentic version, being the Krav Maga group but going out past St. James is too far for me as I don't have a car. Neither do I wish to commute that far after work and try to get back. Damnit I wish I had a car! I have a hunch as to where Krav Maga Ireland trains so I might just track them down after work and see what's the deal.

No worries mate. Locations for KM Ireland are here:

http://www.kmireland.com/our_locations.php

I'd suggest if you are doing KM for self defence and you find the club doesn't do any hard sparring, then take up an art alongside it that will get u actually sparring.

Despite what people will tell you, most KM clubs (well, IKMF clubs) don't train using compliant partners, and you shouldn't know what's coming at you. Last week, I couldn't get out of a chokehold and almost passed out, until I wriggled free :P But that's what should happen (not too early on, though!!). You've got to feel the problem, and you've got to practice working hard getting away from the problem. So make sure the senior students are training under real pressure.

But definitely make sure you get some sparring whether it's in your KM club or somewhere else.

But lots of people just enjoy KM without sparring as it's fun, a great aerobic workout, and you'll get used to striking and grappling.
    Just to be clear, I don't think any one said KM Ireland was a scam. I said I felt it was a mimic, but i doubt the chap takes your money and runs. Talking to a mate who did KM down by the liberties in Dublin, he said he paid 10 euro per session but had to pay it all in advance. I think Tallaght01 trained at the same club here

Just saw this. I never trained in that club, so couldn't comment on it.

Ok there are more and more places popping up with this thread.
    So there's http://www.kravmagaireland.com/, which was my original choice mainly because of location. But now there's kmireland.com as well.
    When it comes down to it's going to be a location dependant choice.

Anyway, good points regarding sparring. I used to do Tae Kwon Do myself so I know the value of facing an opponent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement