Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BMW 325 Coupe burning smell? Help!

• 31-01-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hoping someone can help. Towed a friends car out of his parking space earlier which is on a slope. Pulled his car about 10 feet. Did this in 1st gear with high revs. Alot of smoke came out of the engine bay with a bad smell of burning rubber but the tires were not spinning. Immediately stopped. Temp gauge read normal and no warning lights on dash. Turned the engine off and left the car for approx half hour before driving home. The burning smell was still there when I got home but not as bad as before and no smoke.

Hoping the smoke may have just been from the clutch when pulling my friends car but worried that it might be the head gasket and now there may be oil leaking onto engine block (none that I can see) . Have I done serious damage to my car or is there nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Horndawg wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help. Towed a friends car out of his parking space earlier which is on a slope. Pulled his car about 10 feet. Did this in 1st gear with high revs. Alot of smoke came out of the engine bay with a bad smell of burning rubber but the tires were not spinning. Immediately stopped. Temp gauge read normal and no warning lights on dash. Turned the engine off and left the car for approx half hour before driving home. The burning smell was still there when I got home but not as bad as before and no smoke.

Hoping the smoke may have just been from the clutch when pulling my friends car but worried that it might be the head gasket and now there may be oil leaking onto engine block (none that I can see) . Have I done serious damage to my car or is there nothing to worry about?

Thanks

Sounds like your clutch has burned out. Is it biting high in the pedal travel or slipping?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭AzureAuto

Agreed, does sound like clutch may be on its way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Thanks for the reply guys. No issues with the clutch pedal sticking at any point or slipping driving home. Home about 2 hrs now and there's still a faint burnt smell around the front of the car. If it was the clutch burning and there doesn't seem to be any apparent issues right now is it worth bringing it into a garage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Since your post didn't mention anything about further problems.. I will asume it is running fine...

By the sounds of it, you just burned the clutch.... how bad... well that really depends on the condition of the clutch before this...
    you could continue to drive and the clutch could out live the rest of the car....
    its hard to know... without looking at it
    just seeing the last post... if it s all fine.. i wouldn't bother having it looked at ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Horndawg

Cheers robtri

• Advertisement
Advertisement