Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First tattoo advice

Options
  • 31-01-2010 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

I'm turning eighteen in just over a month and am planning to get my first tatttoo and naturally have some questions. And before I start I'm not getting a tattoo just cos I'm turning eighteen. I'm getting a design I love and have wanted for a while which has personal meaning.

Firstly, there seems to be new tattoo shops opening in Galway every day but which ones are any good? I've heard G's tattoo on prospect hill is good, anyone know anything about that? I want to get a piece involving both colour and black and grey so an artist who's good at both is obviously preferable.

Secondly, anyone know a good free font site? The only ones I can find have loads and load of fonts but you have to click on one to preview it and there's just too much to trawl through. I'm looking for a simple enough slightly 'elegant' font so any suggestions are welcome.

Thirdly, I want the tattoo on my side, starting just above my hip bone and ending about two inches below my breast so basically it's a rib tattoo. I've heard this is the sorest part of the body to have tattooed. How sore is 'the sorest' though? I know it will be painful but a rough idea owuld be nice cos I'm kinda worried about that pain.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

I'm turning eighteen in just over a month and am planning to get my first tatttoo and naturally have some questions. And before I start I'm not getting a tattoo just cos I'm turning eighteen. I'm getting a design I love and have wanted for a while which has personal meaning.

Firstly, there seems to be new tattoo shops opening in Galway every day but which ones are any good? I've heard G's tattoo on prospect hill is good, anyone know anything about that? I want to get a piece involving both colour and black and grey so an artist who's good at both is obviously preferable.

Secondly, anyone know a good free font site? The only ones I can find have loads and load of fonts but you have to click on one to preview it and there's just too much to trawl through. I'm looking for a simple enough slightly 'elegant' font so any suggestions are welcome.

Thirdly, I want the tattoo on my side, starting just above my hip bone and ending about two inches below my breast so basically it's a rib tattoo. I've heard this is the sorest part of the body to have tattooed. How sore is 'the sorest' though? I know it will be painful but a rough idea owuld be nice cos I'm kinda worried about that pain.

Thanks in advance.
    Take a fools advice and dont get the first one. I got one many years ago and had it removed last year by surgery at a huge cost compared to what it cost originally. It was painfull to get it done. I should point out the not one tattooist in Ireland actually has their steriliser validated, that is for the ones that even have sterilisers. There is not much difference from hospitals who must sterilise all instruments that invade the body.The tottooists needle breaks the skin and I have seen some cases where infection set in. If you are detremined to get it, then before you allow him/her to touch you ask for a re-validation certificate. bet he looks at you as if you have 2 heads. No cert no tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

I can recommend G's tatto myself, have had stuff done there myself along with many friends. They also have a shop where metalworks used to be on shop street.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭earleuginedoyle

i can't help with fonts, except to say that when you go into the studio, the artist should have a range of fonts available to show you and help you out there!
    i have a tattoo on my ribs, it wasn't my first but i think if it's what you want you should go for it! yeah it's painful there but you get used to it and the pain only lasts as long as the tattooing process, then you have a gorgeous piece of art on your body for the rest of your life!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I should point out the not one tattooist in Ireland actually has their steriliser validated, that is for the ones that even have sterilisers.

Would you like to share with the class how you came by this little nugget of information? I would very much doubt that. I know that the reputable tattoo studios regularly have spore tests etc... carried out on their autoclaves.

If you're not able to back this up, I'm going to have to give a warning infraction for coming in here simply to scaremonger/put people off tattoos. Fair enough you got yours removed, most of the people here have multiple tattoos, most of which had a lot of time and though put into them, and because of that, they tend to end up loving their tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Take a fools advice and dont get the first one. I got one many years ago and had it removed last year by surgery at a huge cost compared to what it cost originally. It was painfull to get it done. I should point out the not one tattooist in Ireland actually has their steriliser validated, that is for the ones that even have sterilisers. There is not much difference from hospitals who must sterilise all instruments that invade the body.The tottooists needle breaks the skin and I have seen some cases where infection set in. If you are detremined to get it, then before you allow him/her to touch you ask for a re-validation certificate. bet he looks at you as if you have 2 heads. No cert no tattoo.

Eh, I can't believe you're warning someone away from their first tattoo as a result of a personal bad experience! Can you not distinguish that people have and will always make up their own mind about something regardless of the advice?

OP to answer your questions.

Pain: It's all personal thresholds. So yeah if you're a wuss then it'll hurt more. :pac: (My leg was a pain in the.....er...leg!) Sounds like a cop out answer but it's true. OH got her spine done twice. First she wasn't prepared for it and it hurt her like hell, but she then knew what to expect and could tolerate it. Also I suppose it'll depend somewhat on the artist.

Fonts: I think http://www.dafont.com/ is handy. Have tons of stuff on there too all with previews.

And I wouldn't have a clue about shops in Galway. Happy hunting and best of luck with whatever you decide to do/get.

• Advertisement

chin_grin wrote: »
    Eh, I can't believe you're warning someone away from their first tattoo as a result of a personal bad experience! Can you not distinguish that people have and will always make up their own mind about something regardless of the advice?

OP to answer your questions.

Pain: It's all personal thresholds. So yeah if you're a wuss then it'll hurt more. :pac: (My leg was a pain in the.....er...leg!) Sounds like a cop out answer but it's true. OH got her spine done twice. First she wasn't prepared for it and it hurt her like hell, but she then knew what to expect and could tolerate it. Also I suppose it'll depend somewhat on the artist.

Fonts: I think http://www.dafont.com/ is handy. Have tons of stuff on there too all with previews.

And I wouldn't have a clue about shops in Galway. Happy hunting and best of luck with whatever you decide to do/get.
    Somebody needs to warn people. i advise the OP to seriously consider before attempting to get a Tattoo.
    research it.
    Here is just 2 of thousands of sites that warn of the dangers http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/139496/the_deadly_dangers_of_body_tattoos.html

http://www.ehow.com/about_4691790_tattoo-dangers-side-effects.html
    As I said earlier no tattoo parlour gets their sterilisers re-validated. Ask the tattooist for a certificate. This should include a print out of the readings and should be done twice a year. I would not be happy to have an operation with dirty instruments and likewise with a tattoo. So be very careful and research as it is a major job t5o remove later.

Would you like to share with the class how you came by this little nugget of information? I would very much doubt that. I know that the reputable tattoo studios regularly have spore tests etc... carried out on their autoclaves.

If you're not able to back this up, I'm going to have to give a warning infraction for coming in here simply to scaremonger/put people off tattoos. Fair enough you got yours removed, most of the people here have multiple tattoos, most of which had a lot of time and though put into them, and because of that, they tend to end up loving their tattoos.
    Now listen, I am a QTP which means a Qualified Test peron (autoclaves) Spore tests are not adaquete to determine if sterility has been effected. If washing process is not efficient and the product disinfected then sterilisation cannot take place. I will lose you on this one.So you are giving me a warning for stating the truth? Show me one tattoo artist who has a re-validation carried out. I tested some machines and they failed misreavly. There are no real rules for tattooists. One tattooist even told me that the sterilisation process cleans the needles, how ignorant. I speak from training. So please before you threaten me with a warning infraction, check things.

Somebody needs to warn people. i advise the OP to seriously consider before attempting to get a Tattoo.
    research it.
    Here is just 2 of thousands of sites that warn of the dangers http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/139496/the_deadly_dangers_of_body_tattoos.html

http://www.ehow.com/about_4691790_tattoo-dangers-side-effects.html
    As I said earlier no tattoo parlour gets their sterilisers re-validated. Ask the tattooist for a certificate. This should include a print out of the readings and should be done twice a year. I would not be happy to have an operation with dirty instruments and likewise with a tattoo. So be very careful and research as it is a major job t5o remove later.

I agree to look on both sides. But you're speaking from a botched personal experience, hence you're biased. Please don't "preach" to others not to get inked just because you didn't have the foresight to do some research the first time.

It might be a relief for the OP to know the options if and when they decide what they want to do. We give advice here. We do not scaremonger.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Itsonly words--Personally I know of at least 5/6 shops that have certs for their claves.They send the spore tests to the UK for validation and post their certs on the walls of their shops.

I honestly couldnt care less if you are a Qualified Test person,coming into a Tattoo forum trying to put people off getting tattoos is a no no never mind ridiculous considering people are only in this forum if interested in Tattoos.

Now back up your statement with facts and I`ll consider leaving this thread open.

I agree to look on both sides. But you're speaking from a botched personal experience, hence you're biased. Please don't "preach" to others not to get inked just because you didn't have the foresight to do some research the first time.

It might be a relief for the OP to know the options if and when they decide what they want to do. We give advice here. We do not scaremonger.
    Not scaremongering but pointing oiut another side to the discussion. I regularly advise people against getting a tattoo as I know from buisuness experience about the dangers. Should the OP not know what goes on in some parlours? I gave advice about the real dangers

• Advertisement

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Itsonly words--Personally I know of at least 5/6 shops that have certs for their claves.They send the spore tests to the UK for validation and post their certs on the walls of their shops.

I honestly couldnt care less if you are a Qualified Test person,coming into a Tattoo forum trying to put people off getting tattoos is a no no never mind ridiculous considering people are only in this forum if interested in Tattoos.

Now back up your statement with facts and I`ll consider leaving this thread open.
    QTP means that I KNOW what I am talking about when it comes to sterilisation. As a person who did tests on many tattooists autocalaves, I know the deficiencies.I am trying to put nobody off but pointing out the dangers. They are adult enough I assume to make up their own minds. Anyway cant be bothered anymore. Gone now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

One tattooist even told me that the sterilisation process cleans the needles, how ignorant. I speak from training. So please before you threaten me with a warning infraction, check things.

Tattoo artists use one-use disposable needles and dont even attempt to re clean used ones unless youre mixing it up with tubes--in that case its a different thing altogether??

If an artist doesnt supply and open the new pack in front of anyone then its common sense not to get inked in that establishment.

Well taht prooves my point. That is not a validation mate. I can put Geobacillus stearothermophilus and Bacillus atrophaeus spores into an autocalve and they will pass if left there for 30 minutes. I cannot discuss with somebody who knows nothing about the subject. Standard cycle for a decent autoclave is 134C for > 3.5 minutes and that is for an unwrapped load with no prevacuums and drying cycle.

Well taht prooves my point. That is not a validation mate. I can put Geobacillus stearothermophilus and Bacillus atrophaeus spores into an autocalve and they will pass if left there for 30 minutes. I cannot discuss with somebody who knows nothing about the subject. Standard cycle for a decent autoclave is 134C for > 3.5 minutes and that is for an unwrapped load with no prevacuums and drying cycle.

That's actually very interesting. But I know something that's also quite neat, how many people get tattoo'd in Ireland? Of them how many are dropping dead/ill from infection? It hasn't made any papers that I'm aware of, even the sensationalist rags.

As far as I can remember the validation process consists of a bit more than spore tests.From memory I think it has to sustain 121c at 15 psi for 20 minutes and this is done through spore tests or colour change indicators.

These indicate that the clave can reach the requirements for sterilisation and that biological matter was decontaminated.

That's actually very interesting. But I know something that's also quite neat, how many people get tattoo'd in Ireland? Of them how many are dropping dead/ill from infection? It hasn't made any papers that I'm aware of, even the sensationalist rags.
    Agreed but how many people get infections in Irish hopspitals during surgery. Figure is less than 1 in 100000 but hospitals still disinfect and sterilise. I actually think tattoos are nice, I did not like mine and as I am aware of the dangers, I try to encourage people to demand exacting standards from their tattooists. I have no other agenda. people shopuld know both sides.

As far as I can remember the validation process consists of a bit more than spore tests.From memory I think it has to sustain 121c at 15 psi for 20 minutes and this is done through spore tests or colour change indicators.

These indicate that the clave can reach the requirements for sterilisation and that biological matter was decontaminated.
    put the spores over a kettle spout same results. I would not accept those spores as anything el;lse but the spore were sunjected to a process with no time and temperature correlation and in what machine was it done? To validate an autoclave properly it should be done by a person who is qualified and that person validates the temperature and time. This is a complicated process. Hospitals bdo spore tests alo but under controlled conditions. As I said in another posting I am just making people aware and hope that they will insist with their practitioner that the machine is tested .

Agreed but how many people get infections in Irish hopspitals during surgery. .

Id sooner take my chances with a tattooist than an Irish hospital in all fairness.
    HIQA is forever slating Irish Hospitals cleanliness standards.

The amount of MRSA in Irish hospitals is the highest in Europe as far as I can remember.Rare to get MRSA from a tattooist.

Id sooner take my chances with a tattooist than an Irish hospital in all fairness.
    HIQA is forever slating Irish Hospitals cleanliness standards.

The amount of MRSA in Irish hospitals is the highest in Europe as far as I can remember.Rare to get MRSA from a tattooist.
    sorry chappie wrong lane you are going down. MRSA or methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus is not acquired from non sterile instruments. Your GP is the main culprit there. MRSA is rampant in Irish hospitals but ask the Health Department how many cases of cross contanimation there are in theatres and you will be surprised at how low a figure it is. all hospitals must have their washers and sterilisers tested every quarter ny QTP's and the standards are very high. That is why there are none. anyway I am not here to discuss hopsitals but initially advised the OP to consider carefull before getting a tattoo. Nothing more

put the spores over a kettle spout same results.
    Ok how can you put spores over a kettle spout :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Again if you meant the colour change indicators--yes they will change colour in a kettles steam but thats only part of a clave test.
    The colour change strips will only change colour after the temperature desired has been reached.

The spore samples are tested after supposed sterilisation has occurred and incubated in a lab to ensure that no regrowth has happened along with a control that is not put in the autoclave.

This a time tested method of testing auto claves so I really dont know where you are coming from with this.If you want me to take you seriously then tell us how you test a clave.

• Advertisement

Ok how can you put spores over a kettle spout :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Again if you meant the colour change indicators--yes they will change colour in a kettles steam but thats only part of a clave test.
    The colour change strips will only change colour after the temperature desired has been reached.

The spore samples are tested after supposed sterilisation has occurred and incubated in a lab to ensure that no regrowth has happened along with a control that is not put in the autoclave.

This a time tested method of testing auto claves so I really dont know where you are coming from with this.If you want me to take you seriously then tell us how you test a clave.
    Enough said. One question is does the lab know that all spores received were from a particilar autoclave? NO they cant tell. I can discuss something with you that you know something about but clearly not the sterilisation process.
    I can tell you how to test and re-validate an autoclave for reprocessing of medical instruments but it will take a long time. I can direct you to the relevent standards and we are actively trying to have standards applied to tattooists. Many of them do not even clean their instruments as we all know.

sorry chappie wrong lane you are going down. MRSA or methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus is not acquired from non sterile instruments.

It can be acquired from a non sterile instrument or even a sterile one.As soon as an MRSA carrier who has no symptoms of MRSA that lives naturally on the skin touches that instrument the instrument is non sterile anymore AND is infected with MRSA and can in theory infect someone else once the skin is broken.

Gloves are the easiest way to prevent this but thats another interesting thread.

It can be acquired from a non sterile instrument or even a sterile one.As soon as an MRSA carrier who has no symptoms of MRSA that lives naturally on the skin touches that instrument the instrument is non sterile anymore AND is infected with MRSA and can in theory infect someone else once the skin is broken.

Gloves are the easiest way to prevent this but thats another interesting thread.
    That is another thread as you said. I was discussing MRSA in connection with reprocessing of medical instruments. My point was made by advising the OP to ensure that her chosen tattooist is clearly following some rulkes as far as cleanliness and disinfection and sterility are comncerned. If she is not satisfied then dont get it.

Enough said. One question is does the lab know that all spores received were from a particilar autoclave? NO they cant tell.
    I think thats where the whole trust issue comes in.Do you trust your artist in saying that they got a particular auto clave tested??

I can discuss something with you that you know something about but clearly not the sterilisation process.
    I can tell you how to test and re-validate an autoclave for reprocessing of medical instruments but it will take a long time.
    I have all day :)
    I can direct you to the relevent standards and we are actively trying to have standards applied to tattooists.
    Wont happen until licencing is brought in similar to the UK laws on body modification.
    Many of them do not even clean their instruments as we all know.

Id disagree with that--most tattooists have a higher hygiene standard than your local GP,hairdresser,dentist etc.And thats from personal experience.

My point was made by advising the OP to ensure that her chosen tattooist is clearly following some rulkes as far as cleanliness and disinfection and sterility are comncerned. If she is not satisfied then dont get it.

Couldnt agree more with that^^^ but thats the standard response here and should be common sense when getting a tattoo or piercing.

I think thats where the whole trust issue comes in.Do you trust your artist in saying that they got a particular auto clave tested??

I have all day :)

Wont happen until licencing is brought in similar to the UK laws on body modification.

Id disagree with that--most tattooists have a higher hygiene standard than your local GP,hairdresser,dentist etc.And thats from personal experience.
    Well I nhave more experience. All dentists are now compliant. Dont know about hairdressers as my wife cuts my hair.
    On the question of trust, trust has no place when it comes to validating equipment. If that happened that would be the beginning of the end. For your information a desktop spore tester can be had free of charge from 3M if you buy their spores. No need to send spores to UK where sterilisation standards have finally caught on us. NSA in Glasnevin also do spore testing. Irish hospitals only use spore test for their own internal records. Re-validation by an independent person is mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't think there's a single person here who would disagree with you that the industry should be regulated and that these things should be mandatory. The problem is that it is not mandatory in Ireland for the tattooing and body piercing industry. We all know that there are dodgy parlours out there that probably think a good soak in Milton will take care of their disinfection requirements, and the sooner they are brought up to speed, or shut down, the better.

However, that doesn't change the fact that you were telling the person not to get a tattoo, and are now saying that you were only telling them to make sure they go to a reputable place to get their tattoo done. (Which is what we tell everyone anyway...)

However,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭zero86r

It always amazes me how far off topic things get on boards sometimes!

Well I nhave more experience. All dentists are now compliant. Dont know about hairdressers as my wife cuts my hair.
    You keep saying that you have more experience but havent backed it up with one shred of facts---Ive already asked you to explain the method of testing.

Also I was making an example of dentists--how many times have people actually questioned their dentist like they do with their tattooist?As for your local GP--Ive never even seen mine wash their hands.Hairdressers think UV light will kill everything and keep all their tools in a UV box :rolleyes:

On the question of trust, trust has no place when it comes to validating equipment.
    So what do you want us to do--watch while the test is carried out??Cmon totally impratical.If my tattooist shows me a cert with the tests passed and the serial numer of the clave on it--Im going to believe him/her as will everyone on this forum.
    Re-validation by an independent person is mandatory
    Again you keep saying this.It isnt actually mandatory over here since we have an unregulated industry.
    However if we did then Id agree that on the spot testing without prior appointment should be one of the few things that should be legislated for.As should independant testing of autoclaves and / or the use of fully disposable tubes/needles.
    That would be a big start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

put a deposit on my first tatoo today....

getting it done next week, thinking about it for long enough so time to take the plunge

getting my date of birth down my lower arm :)

Advertisement