Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me!!

Options
  • 31-01-2010 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Im wondering, am I just turning into a cranky witch now that Im the wrong side of 50!!. I had my last drink 5 years ago after having a long, 20+ years battle with alchol. All my friends are now aware though some, in fact, most werent at the time owing to my secret drinking. Anyhooooo... my dilemma, Im tired, upset, annoyed, and would love to know how anyone else has handled this. All my friends are still drinkers, in fact, drinking more than they did in the days I drank..orrr, is just my memory lapse. Everything vaugely sociable in my life seems to revolve around people drinking.. I head away to Connemara, we end up in the pub, thats fine as I have 2 waters and bail out, but my very very good, childhood friends often congregate in my house, like last night, and I suppose its a compliment to me that they always feel comfortable enough to bring a bottle or dozen wines, ..whatever, and sit and we chat but they polish off their wine/whiskey, you name it, they bring it.My best friend has emigrated to the UK, all the pictures of her are in the pub, her entire conversation consists of the fun they have had with a few bottles etc etc..... not explaining this very well, in fact sounding paranoid, but am I wrong in wanting people to respect the fact that Ive managed to pull myself out of this, rather than compliment me on how great it is I can be around drinkers.. As for the... go on....just have one, it would do you good to get drunk, just the once!!!...Help me..lol...of course I want one, of course Id give anything to shake off some of my lots of inhibitions...BUT I WONT....x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

Hi, lol

I'm sort of in the same boat I suppose, bit of a cranky ol bastid, I don't miss the drinkers in my life they were more or less fair weather friends, I've made new friends through aa, and don't really mix with drinkers, the evenings where i have i get extremley bored and as they get drunker they seem to go into a time warp and speak about the same old load of rubbish everytime, I don't envy then at all. Its like that film Groundhog Day lol

i heard a good saying the other day "I used to be a drunk who didn't want to be an alcoholic, now I'm an alcoholic who doesn't want to be a drunk"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Elenxor

It's a compliment to your sobriety that your friends are comfortable drinking around you. They don't know how hard it is for us sometimes., if they did, they would get very edgy and avoid us like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

colrow wrote: »

i heard a good saying the other day "I used to be a drunk who didn't want to be an alcoholic, now I'm an alcoholic who doesn't want to be a drunk"

I love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

Cant offer too much up here I'm afraid but all I can say is from my own experience most people I know tend not to want to take me too serious as they do not fully understand what its like pulling yourself out off a truly crap cycle like that, all you can do is keep plugging away.

Advertisement