Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Conor Faughnan's idiotic opinion on 30kmph limit

• 31-01-2010 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

All the points he has made about the new 30kmph limit in Dublin city on RTE news could be argued about

1. Environment - less speed would mean less fuel comsumed! he argued the opposite!
    2. Safety - piece on news said European statistics show such limits are safer - he said it won't help safety!
    3. Traffic management - he said it won't help it but surely it will!

He is an opinionated ill-considering self-serving idiot in my opinion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

He's right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Do you know what the AA was originally formed to actually do OP?

You will LOL when you find out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My fuel consumption jumps to 19/100 from 6.5/100 at that speed. I'm not happy about it :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

1. bull****, the most economic speed is around 80 kph.
    2. stopped cars are safer, that doesn't get us anywhere though.
    3. It's well known that 'traffic management' is a poor translation for 'slowing everything down'.

My question: Will the cyclists and joggers now get penalty points for speeding?

Steve wrote: »
    My question: Will the cyclists and joggers now get penalty points for speeding?

Your original comments about Conor were unique but for the question you are now asking you should ask here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812465

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

are you suggesting everone drive around the city at 80kph to save the environment ?? :D (so what about the accidents that would cause) now that's funny!

Also if a runner can trot around the city at +30kph sign him up for the Irish Olympic squad instantly ! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Cant normally stand him but agree with him 100% on this one !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

1. Environment - less speed would mean less fuel comsumed! he argued the opposite!
    If by driving at less than 30 you need to drive in a lower gear at higher revs then fuel consumption could easily increase. In a petrol turbo this is likely to happen.
    Just think about how much fuel is consumed while in gridlock at 2km/hr vs driving the same distance at the optimal speed for a vehicle.
    2. Safety - piece on news said European statistics show such limits are safer - he said it won't help safety!
    How many people have been involved in colisions at between 30 and 50 in the areas where the new limits are going to come in?
    I saw a plot on C&T showing the risk of death vs speed fo rpedestrians but the data were from 1979. Since then there has been a wee bit of improvements to the design of cars to reduce the injury to pedestrians - the NCAAP rating tests this. What are the statistics for a) Dublin drivers b) Irish drivers c) drivers driving cars less than 31 years old?
    3. Traffic management - he said it won't help it but surely it will!
    that's a fairly persuasive argument there bob, 'surely it will'. Could you flesh it out a bit....

are you suggesting everone drive around the city at 80kph to save the environment ?? :D (so what about the accidents that would cause) now that's funny!

Also if a runner can trot around the city at +30kph sign him up for the Irish Olympic squad instantly ! :)

Who here came even close to suggesting that?

not 'trot' but a runner can most certainly reach that speed./

very rich of you calling this guy an idiot really, he's completely right in every respect.

actually..nevermind.
    OP is a cyclist, that explains a LOT.

• Advertisement

If by driving at less than 30 you need to drive in a lower gear at higher revs then fuel consumption could easily increase. In a petrol turbo this is likely to happen.
    Just think about how much fuel is consumed while in gridlock at 2km/hr vs driving the same distance at the optimal speed for a vehicle.

How many people have been involved in colisions at between 30 and 50 in the areas where the new limits are going to come in?
    I saw a plot on C&T showing the risk of death vs speed fo rpedestrians but the data were from 1979. Since then there has been a wee bit of improvements to the design of cars to reduce the injury to pedestrians - the NCAAP rating tests this. What are the statistics for a) Dublin drivers b) Irish drivers c) drivers driving cars less than 31 years old?

that's a fairly persuasive argument there bob, 'surely it will'. Could you flesh it out a bit....

Well if someone was doing +30kph between sets of lights they would consume more fuel in the acceleration than someone staying under 30kmph!?!

The world record time for men over the marathon distance is 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds, set in the Berlin Marathon by Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia on September 28, 2008. Gebrselassie's world record represents an average pace of under 2:57 per kilometre (4:44 per mile), average speed of over 20.4 km/h (12.6 mph).[

SV wrote: »
    actually..nevermind.
    OP is a cyclist, that explains a LOT.

Also a car driver, paying road tax and insurance, who has admitted got points for speeding!! ;)

Berty wrote: »
    Your original comments about Conor were unique but for the question you are now asking you should ask here.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055812465
    Thanks, I just saw it on the news and this was the first thread I saw here.

I'm saying that any mode of transport that is not being used in an efficient manner is more harmful to the environment than if it were used at peak efficiency.

Also, I don't agree with the whole 'carbon emissions is killing the planet' thing but that's not for this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Every time I drive through this section of the city I'm going to burn some rubbish in the back garden just in case i'm not producing enough carbon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Think safe. Stop all cars.*

*At the same time don't mind pedestrians walking on the streets like holy cows (just today I would smash a moron who nearly walked into my car on Parnell St.) and idiots on bikes who think that lights or basic rules of the road don't apply to them. Who is that a fcuking idiot who broutht 30km/h limit for cars on the road, which was, is and will be designed for CARS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

They hardly enforce the current limits, or the yellow boxes or dangerous driving (or cycling for that matter) all over the city. I imagine a 30kmph limit will be a huge success. All those driving like a snail on a wet day. Lets have that everyday.

Conor Faughnan is self serving in that he speaks with his aloof accent trying to convince us that he speaks for the general good of all motorists within his organisation.

Who appointed him anyway ?

And - AA organisation only represents a certain proportion of motorists - why do they get so much airtime and such a say on motor related maters!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

My 2c on these points
    1. Environment - Yes, 50kph is more fuel efficient than 30kph, but accelerating uses waay more fuel than maintaining speed. Going from 0-30 rather than 0-50 between traffic lights could save fuel in the city centre.
    2. Safety - it's worth considering how pedestrians will react to the change. I'm guessing they will get stupider to nullify any potential safety gains.
    3. Traffic management - no really: in busy traffic, lowering the top speed can improve the average speed. I'm just not sure to what extent this applies in an area with so many traffic lights.

But really, none of these arguments are persuasive to me. Making the city centre more pedestrian friendly is going to take more effort, thought and money than sticking up a few speed limit signs. DCC needs to alter the street landscape so that 30kph makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

he is right its a stupid change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm a cyclist in the city and even I think this is stupid....as a driver too, I think people won't be paying full attention doing 30kph as its soo slow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭oxegen85

Well if someone was doing +30kph between sets of lights they would consume more fuel in the acceleration than someone staying under 30kmph!?!

The world record time for men over the marathon distance is 2 hours 3 minutes and 59 seconds, set in the Berlin Marathon by Haile Gebrselassie of Ethiopia on September 28, 2008. Gebrselassie's world record represents an average pace of under 2:57 per kilometre (4:44 per mile), average speed of over 20.4 km/h (12.6 mph).[

why dont you work out Usain Bolts speed for 100m and I think you would get over 30km/hr.... by my calculating its 37kmph ... arrest him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I've no problem at all with 30km/h speed limits in the city centre. What I do have a problem with is being limited to 120km/h on an empty motorway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

I'll defer to any gardai in the forum, but i'm pretty sure that speed limits are concerned with instant speed rather than average speed over 26.2 miles. If i'm mistaken in this, then I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Conor Faughnan is self serving in that he speaks with his aloof accent trying to convince us that he speaks for the general good of all motorists within his organisation.

Who appointed him anyway ?

And - AA organisation only represents a certain proportion of motorists - why do they get so much airtime and such a say on motor related maters!?
    The AA are the only mainstream group in Ireland who offer a voice for motorists. If you feel that you aren't being represented then set up your own group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Anan1 wrote: »
    I've no problem at all with 30km/h speed limits in the city centre. What I do have a problem with is being limited to 120km/h on an empty motorway.
    +1, where the fun in driving these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I'm moving to the Isle of Man on Saturday.... Unlimited speed outside towns FTW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

fletch wrote: »
    I'm a cyclist in the city and even I think this is stupid....as a driver too, I think people won't be paying full attention doing 30kph as its soo slow.

Same here, I initially thought that Cllr Montague was going to be refreshing when it came to organising traffic in the city centre, he made a good start but maybe now I'm thinking that was just a fluke and he is a bit of a crank ?

fletch wrote: »

More people looking down at the speedometer, instead of looking out the window. Great.

They should enforce the existing limits on the known fast dangerous sections like the quays. rather than this lip service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Dreadful effects on traffic as a result this morning and fuel consumption way up!

Meanwhile cars getting fined on the quays like fish in a barrel once again......what about all those deaths around the country.. chi ching I hear the cash registers going

Stupid Stupid Stupid......

• Advertisement

I came up Wolfe Tone Quay and there was the usual bumper to bumper queue in the middle lane. I was in the right lane which usually moves quickly. This morning it only had a few cars in it, all moving at 20kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

DCC needs to alter the street landscape so that 30kph makes sense.

Good grief! Don't give them ideas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

It's a farce. Why didn't they at least make it 40 kmph? I can't do 30kph comfortably in my car - I'd have to stay in 3rd gear! Was going around St Stephen's Green this morning, taking it nice and handy - looked down at my speedo: 40 kmph.

Why is it this country is run by idiots at all levels?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

how are they going to inforce this? Surely they will have to hire and train up more guards to set up speed checks..... oh they're not hiring! Hmm...

They'd be dangerous with a crayon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Steve wrote: »
    1. bull****, the most economic speed is around 80 kph.
    Not in favour of the 30km/h limit, but he's generally right about the fuel economy. The slower you go the less resistance/friction from air and road and therefore the better the economy, *generally*. Some cars won't have a gear that suits 30km/h, particularly automatics which will probably hunt between 1st and 2nd. Mine's a manual and will do about 100mpg at 30km/h.

• Advertisement

I have a Volvo which every second gives me an uptodate reading on my dashboard as to what my fuel consumption is.

In traffic, a well known fact, you burn more fuel and it is more draining on all of the car parts.

This is why some sellers of cars say "Mostly motorway mileage"

Berty wrote: »
    In traffic, a well known fact, you burn more fuel and it is more draining on all of the car parts.
    In stop-start traffic, yes. However a constant 30km/h is very economical.

Mine also has an instantaneous fuel economy reading. It will show about 100-110mpg at that speed.

JHMEG wrote: »
    In stop-start traffic, yes. However a constant 30km/h is very economical.

Driving through a city center is stop start the vast majority of the time. Theres so many lights.

BostonB wrote: »
    Driving through a city center is stop start the vast majority of the time. Theres so many lights.

Absolutely. As I said I don't agree with the limit but in principle the slower you go the better your fuel economy.

It is possible for DCC to co-ordinate the lights on the quay for example so that there is green after green for traffic at a certain speed, but I remember George Hooke doing a piece on it where DCC said they want to inconvenience traffic as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Marcos

Is there a publicly available list of exactly which councillors voted this through?

All I can see is Andrew Montague, and Christy Burke.

I would like to see it and find out if any councillors in my area pushed this through.

Also, I certainly won't be using Andrew Montague's website design company.

I may send him an email on his blog just to let him know that he won't be getting my vote next time he comes slithering around.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Absolutely. As I said I don't agree with the limit but in principle the slower you go the better your fuel economy.

It is possible for DCC to co-ordinate the lights on the quay for example so that there is green after green for traffic at a certain speed, but I remember George Hooke doing a piece on it where DCC said they want to inconvenience traffic as much as possible.

Yup i believe DCC have actually timed the lights so traffic gets stopped at most of them coming through the city centre.

Not in favour of the 30km/h limit, but he's generally right about the fuel economy. The slower you go the less resistance/friction from air and road and therefore the better the economy, *generally*. Some cars won't have a gear that suits 30km/h, particularly automatics which will probably hunt between 1st and 2nd. Mine's a manual and will do about 100mpg at 30km/h.
    Yeah, I hadn't thought that through. I was thinking that quoted motorway figures are always better than urban oned but I guess that takes the effects of stop-start driving into account.
    I remember that interview, I was disgusted when I heard it.
    It boils down to "We can't make a viable and economic public transport system so what do we do? Lets put in lots of bus lanes and restrictions and do our utmost to make the only alternative equally inefficient and then ours won't look so bad"

Yes- what's the average distance you travel in the city before you come across the next red light or queue of traffic behind one? 500 metres? at most 1 kilometre.

In the mean time most drivers will accelerate to highest speed legal / possible / safe. By limiting max speed wouldn't that consume less fuel.

When I saw motorists speed to the next red light I came up with the term ''accelating to stop'' !

Theta wrote: »
    Yup i believe DCC have actually timed the lights so traffic gets stopped at most of them coming through the city centre.
    Not just city centre. It's along the quays, the canal etc. Red after red.

To be honest, Conor focussed on the wrong topics when he made his comments about the new speed limit.
    He should have instead focussed on:
    1. the dangerous HGVs
    2. the double parking of delivery vans all day long in the city centre, thus creating blind spots for pedestrians crossing and also blocking the footpaths causing people to walk on the road
    3. jaywalking at all times of the day – particularly the clowns who cross the road diagonally.
    4. Road users who break red lights – this includes motorcyclists, car drivers and push bikers

Clamp down on those and we’d see safer streets.
    Instead the clowns have introduced a 30kmph speed limit. Remember, these are the same clowns who bowed to pressure and removed the bus gate just before Christmas.
    Absolutely no consistency whatsoever. :rolleyes:

When I saw motorists speed to the next red light I came up with the term ''accelating to stop'' !

Yes it's the "hurry up and wait" mentality. The 30kph limit will only make journey times fractionally longer, if at all.

Many european cities have 30kph limits, and generally place far greater restrictions on private car use in cities. Why is it that when Irish people come back from a holiday in say, France or Germany, they tell all their friends how great the transport infrastructure is, and how much more pleasant the cities are without all the traffic, but then proceed to hop in their car to drive a few miles through a traffic jam to get to work?

Why is it that when Irish people come back from a holiday in say, France or Germany, they tell all their friends how great the transport infrastructure is, and how much more pleasant the cities are without all the traffic, but then proceed to hop in their car to drive a few miles through a traffic jam to get to work?

You're ignoring the fact that these countries have proper integrated public transport that actually works - something this country sorely lacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Why is it that when Irish people come back from a holiday in say, France or Germany, they tell all their friends how great the transport infrastructure is, and how much more pleasant the cities are without all the traffic, but then proceed to hop in their car to drive a few miles through a traffic jam to get to work?

Quite simple really, the answer is in your post. Because we don't have the great transport infrastructure you mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

All I can see coming out of this is that the City Centre will turn into a ghost town, I for one will not be going into town again while this is in place.

If everyone else that does not have a real requirement to go to town does the same it will not take long for there decision to be turned around as there will be a major push from retailers whom are losing business to get the old speed reinstated.

It's bad enough that they have already closed of College Green to cars without introducing this crazy speed limit as well.

C'mon DCC cop onto yourselves!

Jip wrote: »
    Quite simple really, the answer is in your post. Because we don't have the great transport infrastructure you mentioned.

Yes, because the streets are choked with single occupant private cars. It is impossible to build a smoothly running public transport infrastructure when all available space is devoted to traffic jams. Getting people to change from cars to public transport/walking/cycling requires both a carrot AND a stick, indeed this is how it was done in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
Advertisement