Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

small slow cooker - any ideas?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

Just seen this in bargain alerts don't know if it's any good though...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055814896

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have seen small ones in Tesco about 3 litre capacity IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

thanking you both kindly - it's more of a 1.5 litre size I'm after though - the search continues ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Keep an eye on the kitchen section of TK maxx, I've seen small ones there (granted, more the 2L size than the 1.5L size, but still, they'd be a lot cheaper than even online as you wouldn't pay so much in postage).

will do - thanks for the tip :)

• Advertisement

Interesting reviews on the Lakeland site re the 1,5 litre cooker.
    I always leave a bit of headspace between the food and the lid on my 6.5litre one, very rarely would I fill the thing up completely with food.
    I don't know your circumstances but I would think that a 3l version half full would be just as good as a 1.5l version?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Amazon have loads on sale. I bought a large one for my Sis-in-law for Christmas. Crockpots are supposed to be pretty decent. They've got reviews on Amazon, which are a good help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Agros have small ones for about €10/€15.

ooh the one in argos looks perfect - thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

sorry to butt in on this thread but im looking at buying a slow cooker. i checked out the tescos one and a few others in currys. im wondering does the lid have to be air tight on them. i saw a morphy richards one in currys and the lid had rubber round the edge which made it air tight but the other ones and the tescos version all had loose lids. does this make any difference?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

fifib wrote: »
    sorry to butt in on this thread but im looking at buying a slow cooker. i checked out the tescos one and a few others in currys. im wondering does the lid have to be air tight on them. i saw a morphy richards one in currys and the lid had rubber round the edge which made it air tight but the other ones and the tescos version all had loose lids. does this make any difference?

No it doesn't, the lid on mine just sits on and isn't airtight. No moisture is lost in slow cooking and you actually have to use less water for casseroles etc than you would if you were cooking in an oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

No it doesn't, the lid on mine just sits on and isn't airtight. No moisture is lost in slow cooking and you actually have to use less water for casseroles etc than you would if you were cooking in an oven.

ok thanks...cheap and cheerful Tesco Slow cooker to purchase this lunch time so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

Sorry to hijack, but is there some kind of formula for how much liquid you should put into a slow cooker compared to a normal casserole? Like would you use half or a third of what you usually would? Is it that straightforward?

The thing I find with my SC is that there is no movement, they don't bubble like a simmering pot. The food doesn't sink into the sauce/gravy like it would on a hob.
    Use slow cooker recipes and you will get an idea of what amount of Liquid will be suitable
    Be aware that the food never gets to boiling point and it should be either be eaten or refrigerated straight away.
    Foods cooked and left for any length of time at room temp will go off very fast.

Advertisement