Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'In the shadows of Men' author Valerie ??

• 31-01-2010 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

'In the shadows of Men' author Valerie ?? admitted her ex-boyfriend and father of her child is currently part of the ARW, to Ryab Turbridyon the Late Late show on friday night :eek::eek::eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭superref

'In the shadows of Men' author Valerie ?? admitted her ex-boyfriend and father of her child is currently part of the ARW, to Ryab Turbridyon the Late Late show on friday night :eek::eek::eek:

She said her husband is currently a serving member of the irish army ranger wing http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'In the shadows of Men' author Valerie ?? admitted her ex-boyfriend and father of her child is currently part of the ARW, to Ryab Turbridy on the Late Late show on friday night :eek::eek::eek:

She also said she had met Turbridys uncle TD Mr Andrews in Cyprus when her father was stationed there :pac:

dont think T was to amused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

She's a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Missed Tubbers I was concentrating on a Airfix model helimachopper.... Another kiss n tell I guess.

Watching it now.

Oh dear.......Betsy!!!!!:rolleyes:

Could have at least called it something butch like Brad or Steven..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

superref wrote: »
    She said her husband is currently a serving member of the irish army ranger wing http://www.rte.ie/tv/latelate/

Not any more he isnt!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭troubleshooter

Why is her saying her ex husband is in the ARW a big deal ?

Maybe the Chinese secret service were listening in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

Operational security. The whole Army could know her husband, and what he does in the Army, but they are not going to go and tell the nation. Do you know how easy it would be to figure out who her husband is now that the whole nation knows he is in the wing and might be interested in doing so? Its a bloody crusties dream to start identifying members of the wing.
    Why do you think their faces are blacked out in photographs, and they cover their faces at events like the Easter Parade a few years back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

odin_ie wrote: »
    Operational security. The whole Army could know her husband, and what he does in the Army, but they are not going to go and tell the nation. Do you know how easy it would be to figure out who her husband is now that the whole nation knows he is in the wing and might be interested in doing so? Its a bloody crusties dream to start identifying members of the wing.
    Why do you think their faces are blacked out in photographs, and they cover their faces at events like the Easter Parade a few years back?

Cos it makes them look hard? (I know really it's for persec, but you gotta admit, it adds an air of mystery.)

She said her husband on the show IIRC? Not Ex.

Cos it makes them look hard? (I know really it's for persec, but you gotta admit, it adds an air of mystery.)

The blacked out faces started with the SAS in the early 70s, but there was a reason for it, they often served in NI in an undercover/plainclothes role, after this other special forces outfits copied it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Might be her ex now though! :D I know ID be pi$$ed!

• Advertisement

Reality is as subversives managed to penetrate Garda special branch and get bombs into the most secure army barracks in NI, they would have no problem finding out whos in the ARW.

The ARW role is as a battalion reconnaissance force, and an anti terrorism and VIP protection role, yet cops in this role dont wear masks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Man you need a reality check!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Reality is as subversives managed to penetrate Garda special branch and get bombs into the most secure army barracks in NI, they would have no problem finding out whos in the ARW.

The ARW role is as a battalion reconnaissance force, and an anti terrorism and VIP protection role, yet cops in this role dont wear masks.

ERU... No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

104036.jpg

Might come in handy.

Poccington wrote: »
    ERU... No?

I was thinking of the UKs Royal Protection officers(SO14), who I dont rate, only through luck its been starting pistols that have been fired at Royals over the years, very passive, too slow to react.
    • In 1994, an officer from the command shot himself in the leg during target practice.[5]
    • In 2000, an officer accidentally discharged his weapon aboard the royal train while assigned to protect Her Majesty the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh.[5]

Their SAS trainers said the Mets armed Police were a liability.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article567961.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Man you need a reality check!!!

Mate, I think it is you who needs a reality check.

Anyone who works in security watches their personal security. I'm not that high up in the overall structure but have had myself and my family threatened. Bouncers in local nightclubs have been threatened and even 1 murdered. Bank staff are regularly briefed on personal security. Members of the army, gardai etc. expect threats - it comes with the job. Someone in the ARW??? you can bet that there are people already checking to finds that guys details - he is now damaged goods to the ARW and most likely will have to leave.

As for the crusty types. Check out some of their websites where you will see the photos and personal details of Gardai regularly posted. Seeing as many unsavory characters regularly trawl through those website, I believe there is serious reasons for concern

I would love to have the secure life that you seem to think is reality. In reality, your privacy and security is protected by a lot of people who put theirs on the line for you. Don't ever take it for granted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

He is her Ex..

Actually they do..they were only recently pictured in the paper wearing masks under their lids.

Advertisement