Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year subject choices

Options
  • 31-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Looking for any advice from anyone who knows,

I've got two choices to make. History v geography and Physics v Chemistry v Biology.

I'm reasonably good at all of them and like them all.

Is this even the best place to post this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

geography and biology easier to do well in as far as i know . . . . depends on what you want to do in college though . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Going by the easiest to get points..do Geography and Biology ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 extremebogman

That's the problem, I haven't got the slightest idea of what I want to do in college. My guidance counselor says that the subjects don't really matter all that much for courses anyway. What would anyone have to say about that?

I think I might end up doing what you guys suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

That's the problem, I haven't got the slightest idea of what I want to do in college. My guidance counselor says that the subjects don't really matter all that much for courses anyway. What would anyone have to say about that?

If you want to do anything involved with science, subject choice matters, but other than that it doesn't.

Choose what subject you enjoy as you will be more likely to do better in that subject, than a subject you pick just because it is easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Physics is awful, everyone in my year (6th) was cramming for the mocks on monday and spent most of their revision time on it. I picked up physics for 5 months in 5th year then dropped it, best decision I ever made.

• Advertisement

guidance counsellors are often useless, see this thread >>>

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820674

and this one >>> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055820356

I've got History and Biology picked now, thanks for the advice.

And yes, guidance councillors seem to be idiots for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Take history if you are good at essays. Don't do physics as its a lot less versatile than chemistry or biology.

Subject choices coming up, I'm going to do french and chemistry anyway, and probably biology. Dont know about the last one but im thinking of either: history, geography, economics or ag. science.

I already will have 2 science subjects so i don't know about ag science, but its supposed to be very easy if you do biology. But i kind of want to have a business subject too, to keep my options open. But then geography and history are supposed to be easy and i like both . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 roxykid07

i picked geography, no science subject , music and economics. Geog looks deffo easier, 20% is a field trip where as history is all learning and essayss :Z

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Im picking French (we need a language), Geography, History and Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭ash.c

Think im going to pick French, Business, Biology & Home Ec. Not eally sure what i want to do, was thinking nursing or primary school teacher, could change next week though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

Have ya done the DATS

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Doing French, Biology, Chemistry and Geography but I have no garauntee I'll get either of the science ones because of the lack of teachers in my school, going to raise hell if I don't get them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doing French, Biology, Chemistry and Geography but I have no garauntee I'll get either of the science ones because of the lack of teachers in my school, going to raise hell if I don't get them.

With your local TD?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Ye I'm a bit confused aswell.

I want to do History, but its hard to get points in. But I'm interested in it.
    I like Geography, I've heard its easy, not that interested TBH.
    I want to do Economics, cos I can't stand Accounting, but after looking at the Acc paper, I'm like, I can do that.
    I'm thinking about Biology as the science, but apparently there's a big workload, and although I'm not mathsy, I feel I can do Physics aswell.

Anywho I've got time to think about it, seeing as I'm not doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭xilovejedwardx

im doing french, business, accounting and history!! hate science nd nd science teachers in my skool!

Are you doin honours or pass maths???

In the end I picked Chemistry and History. Doing honours maths too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mag_red286

im picking up art for 5th year!! big mistake or will i b grand???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

mag_red286 If you love art then it'll be fine, but from what I've heard, to do well you need to eat, sleep and breath art. The workload is huge, so you have to love it. Its not for someone who only 'likes' art.

I chose all three sciences and then French, possibly Japanese if I ever get round to it. hopefully all that science and higher maths won't kill me :P

• Advertisement

mag_red286 wrote: »
    im picking up art for 5th year!! big mistake or will i b grand???

Well our art teacher never has a problem taking on anyone in 5th year, he suggested I do it (hadn't done it for 2nd and 3rd year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

donvito99 wrote: »
    I want to do History, but its hard to get points in. But I'm interested in it. I like Geography, I've heard its easy, not that interested TBH.
    I want to do Economics, cos I can't stand Accounting, but after looking at the Acc paper, I'm like, I can do that.

Hah, that's exactly what I'm like about History and Geography too, People keep telling me how hard history is and how I should do geography for the points, but I'm so much more interested in history! Bah.

It's so hard to choose, I want to do Economics but my school doesn't do it, I kind of want to art because I <3 art history but that's only like 35% of the exam, and I REALLY don't know if I should do Ag Science.

So I'd say I'm doing English, Irish, Maths (Pass, praise the lord), French, Business, History and Biology. I can now officially never do medicine or engineering :(;)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cailin_donn

Im in 6th year now and do German, Art, History and Home Ec

About taking up Art- dont worry about it, my friend did it and is one of the best in her class. Another girl did it too and she struggles a bit, but thats because she doesnt really like it, it was a last resort.

For History- Yes, there is a lot to be done but its so interesting. Even the most boring things (e.g. the American economy post WW2) are interesting. And your Research Study is great, 20% plus it can be on any subject of your choice!! History is a really great subject, I' so glad I kept it on and I actually look forward to History

German- not much I can say really, we switched teachers after 5th year so our class got disrupted and havent done any exam paper work yet, all oral since october!! but still, I like the language.

Home Ec- I have mixed feelings about this one. I changed from Biology in September of 5th year, opting for the easier subject. I hadnt done Home Ec in Jr Cert, but for all of 5th year I really liked it. Now, in 6th year, I realise how broad the course is, and it's not like History where you can cover small areas of each topic, you hav to do every little detail because it's a very long, detailed course. If you're dedicated, even 15 mins a night, you'll be fine. Some of it is common sense, but then there's microbiology and the laws and acts so don't go into it thinking it'll be easy.

Hope that helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Yeah, art is good because you only have to do some art history, and then the rest is on the day, I'm taking it because the rest of my subjets are insane

Physics
    Applied Maths
    Chemistry
    Economics
    Art will stop me from turning into a robot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

in 5th now...i chose;

french (had to due to teacher cut...probably would have done it anyways)
    geography (i'm pretty good at it)
    business (I'm good at it)
    economics (Thought I'd give it a bash)
    LCVP

I ahte science subjectes and intend to study Computer Applications. At the end of the day, its what is the best way to get the required points???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Keano! wrote: »
    in 5th now...i chose;

french (had to due to teacher cut...probably would have done it anyways)
    geography (i'm pretty good at it)
    business (I'm good at it)
    economics (Thought I'd give it a bash)
    LCVP

I ahte science subjectes and intend to study Computer Applications. At the end of the day, its what is the best way to get the required points???

You need a Science subject for most good CA courses, and if you hate science is a Computing course realy a good idea?

Finally submitted my subject choices a few weeks ago:

French
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Economics

and Ag Science outside of school.

Everyone tells me I'm mad to do chemistry!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Conzar

If you're a compontent maths student then I'd reccommend doing physics.
    Chemistry is meant to be one of the hardest subjects to do for leaving cert so I would avoid that.
    For the other choice definitely go with geography, I've heard the course for history requires a huge amount of "learning off".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭fauxshow

The geography is so easy and history is so hard mantra is a bit of a myth! *Statistically, more students get A in LC history than the amount of students who get an A in LC geography* I do history and love it, and I don't know a single person doing it who doesn't! Everyone who does it says it's their favourite subject, and once you have an interest in it you'll work at it. It's an interesting and reawrding course, so if you're thinking about it, I'd say definitely go for it! The course is huge but it can be broken down, history and geo are pretty much the same in terms of the workload you have to do and studying and learning off. Both have projects worth 20%. All subjects for the LC are hard, there's not REALLY such thing as an ''easy A1'' so to speak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement