Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem: Unmountable Boot Volume (XP)

• 31-01-2010 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭

Switched on my laptop this morning, Windows started to load but then a "Blue screen of death" appeared - Unmountable Boot Volume. I have some important files on the laptop that I don't want to lose so instead of running the XP Recovery Console (and possibly losing some files) I ran Ubuntu from a CD (as a way of accessing the HD without being able to run Windows) and when Ubuntu loaded I could view the symbol for the HD but it wouldn't open / mount (I had hoped to copy the data to my external HD).
    Any suggestions on how to access my files or will I take a chance and run the XP Recovery Console? Don't want to remove the HD, not too familiar with hardware issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Try booting from CD and running a hard drive test, you might have something to do this already or do a search or try the following

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

That must be an older copy of Ubuntu? 9.04 and 9.10 can defo do what you need, what version did you use?

BTW the Recovery console is the way to fix this, try:

fixboot or fixmbr

You might need to do a check disk on the drive first:
    chkdsk /f

See here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/chkdsk.mspx?mfr=true

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Thanks for your suggestions. After seeing the error codes that appeared when I ran the system tests I thought the disk was f****d but I ran chkdsk, got windows going and didn't lose any files :D

@MunsterCycling - I was using 9.04 but can't figure out why it wouldn't work, anyway no harm done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Well get your files the heck off that drive and consider this a warning, you might not be so lucky next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Your very lucky. That error is usually very bad news. As advised get the data off asap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement