Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of deer is this ?

• 31-01-2010 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭

Can someone ID this animal ?

4315577223_ffee9fff8a.jpg

cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

Looks to me like a scimitar horned oryx.
    They used to be common across the scrublands of W. Cork and Kerry but there are very few left in the wild now.
    Here's some seen near Castlegregory last summer:

02.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Mary McAleese said these animals are extinct in the wild (http://www.president.ie/index.php?section=5&speech=639&lang=eng). Was she wrong? Or have they been reintroduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In 2007, Dublin Zoo financially contributed to the reintroduction programme of Scimitar-horned oryx (Oryx dammah) which are extinct in the wild. Dublin Zoo currently holds six of these animals which are part of an EAZA breeding programme for this species and in total there are approximately 1400 scimitar-horned oryx in cooperative breeding programmes around the world. Tunisia, a former range country for this species, is committed to the re-establishment of scimitar-horned oryx. Reintroduction of this species began in 1985 with animals from Britain. Since then there have been several additions to the Tunisian population with oryx from zoo breeding programmes.

Unfortunately our firewall here won't show your pictures so I can't add anything on their identity but Google "Scimitar-horned oryx" to confirm for yourself.
    They used to be common across the scrublands of W. Cork and Kerry but there are very few left in the wild now.
    Here's some seen near Castlegregory last summer

Sorry, but is that meant as humour or some help to the OP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

Sorry, but is that meant as humour or some help to the OP?
    I gave an answer to the OP's query. Is humour not allowed here? Maybe you don't like humour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Oryx ??? or a Sable antelope has the curved horns .

Both of these antelope can usually hold their own against lions !
    they dip to ground level and wave those sword-like horns in a parrying attack .

Both have been brought to the brink of existence , by trophy hunters, who like to adorn the walls of their houses .

With such high interest levels within hunting communities , they are as good as dead .

Where did you get the photo O.P ? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Fota Island has a number of these animals, they are pretty spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I gave an answer to the OP's query. Is humour not allowed here? Maybe you don't like humour?
    I thought it was funny:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Cheers people !!!

Advertisement