Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting Indoors!!

Options
  • 31-01-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi. for the last few days i've been planting a variety of seeds indoors and im beginning to wonder if it was too early to start! basically i thought id grow them out a little before putting them into the greenhouse..I planted radish,lettuce,mini-carrots,tomato,peppers,strawberry and mini-cucumber. im probably a month ahead of myself. this is my first attempt at growing my own fruit & veg. so no doubt im gona make mistakes.
    I have large grow bags which i hope to grow mini-carrots,sweet pepper,cucumber and spuds. I have some medium & small bag for radish,lettuce.

So basically my question is! have i planted too early?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Normally the answer would be yes, it is too early - the plants get too big before you can put them out. However since you have a greenhouse you might get away with it, though many of the things you are growing are tender - they don't like cold - so it will depend on the weather.
    Some things you sow where they are going to grow, by the way, I would not transplant lettuce for example, you might manage it but it is rather fragile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mister Tickle

yeah...having looked at the lettuce seeds today..they've sprung up very quickly days so i might abandon them until later.
    its the same with the radish seeds,i might just transplant them to the greenhouse tomorrow. any more advice would be great. I've mini cucumber which was €6!! dont wana lose that one! maybe i can grow them up a little before planting in the greenhouse? they too have started to grow quite quick.
    would you believe i thought i was being clever by planting a little early..its looking like a disaster!! Im going to chit my early spuds..not sure what to do! any tips for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Radish and carrots you do not transplant. Carrots would probably be happier outside. Tomatoes and peppers will be good in the greenhouse. Lettuce will grow very 'soft' in the greenhouse, though it does need warm weather.
    I would suggest waiting till nearly summer - May at the earliest, then put a pinch of mixed salad in a large pot - even outside it comes up very fast. Do not plant too many, a thin scatter, then maybe two weeks later a tiny bit more and you will have continuous salad leaves.
    Radishes will be better planted outside too. Strawberries will grow fine outside. If you have seed it will take a while before you get fruit. You might be better off to get a couple of plants, they send out runners and will soon extend, though dont let too many runners get going.
    I don't have any experience of greenhouse gardening, and I'm not very knowlegable about potatoes either, though I think you could put them to sprout in a cool place now, just needs to be frost-free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Mister Tickle

I know what you a re saying but..i thought you can transplant any/all seeds? once the reach the correct size for pricking out. So when ca i plant the radish,carrrot,pepper,and lettuce and my strawberry seeds in the greenhouse!? i cant wait to get started...its sad.

Advertisement