Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best scrappage deal??

• 01-02-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭

I've finally convinced my son to get rid of his 1998 Nissan Micra & to avail of the Gov Scrappage Deal.

Any recommendations as to where the best value lies. Small to midsize car.

Or, alternatively, would he be better off to go North or to the UK?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In my opinion:

Cheapest is the Panda 1.1 @ €6995.
    Best value is the Clio @ €8995

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

What kind of car does he want? There's good money off alot of cars, so it really depends on his needs/wants.

The new 1.6TDi Skoda Octavia is great value. If thats too big, take a look at the VW Polo, or Ford Fiesta. Both are nice little cars.

AFAIK, the scrappage scheme wont apply if he goes to the UK or NI and it obviously only applies to new cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What kind of budget does he have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

What are his priorities? Size? Engine? Budget? etc.

Renault a really pushing their deals atm, new Megane coupe for approx. €15k iirc.
    Kia have something extra going on too i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Fiat 500s are going for a song atm-cracking little car, but basic at the lower price range.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Thanks Guys... He's only starting out in his first job so I figure 10k is his max...

He has it in his head to buy 2nd hand in the UK but I figure if he can save 2 or 3k in the scrappage deal then he would be better off...

I think Polo, Fiesta etc is where he's likely to look...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fiesta and Polo are outside his budget I'm afraid even with the scrapage scheme. Renault Clio can be got for €9k, the Hyundai i20 comes in at around €9500 and the Fiat Grande Punto at €10k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

Thanks Guys... He's only starting out in his first job so I figure 10k is his max...

He has it in his head to buy 2nd hand in the UK but I figure if he can save 2 or 3k in the scrappage deal then he would be better off...

I think Polo, Fiesta etc is where he's likely to look...

I have a feeling he might prefer a BMW 3 series over the polo and fiesta, if he is a young lad 10k is a lot to spend on something you dont like, help him out dad! Is he into cars? If he is let him get something older and nicer.

Advertisement