Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths find roots?

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

please someone tell me the easiest way to find roots of
    8x^4 - 7x^2 + 1 =0
    ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Set y = x^2

your equation is 8y^2 - 7y + 1 = 0

solve for y using one of the normal methods

then derive x (by simply finding the squared root of both instances of y)

be careful - there may be up to 4 distinct solutions

there are

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

To find the first roots, you need to go trial and error. Try substituting 1 or -1 for x, if you don't get zero, try substituting 2 or -2 for x, and so on. These problems rarely go beyond 3, so that shouldn't take too long.

Once you've found what goes in for x, lets say 2 goes in for x, then x=2. Therefore your factor would be x-2.

Divide the equation you started with by your factor (say if it's x-2), and you'll find the other roots.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just saw 3DataModem's post - am I wrong? :confused:

So that's...

y = ( 7 +\- sqr ( 17 ) ) / 16 )

x = ( +\- sqr ( 7 +\- sqr ( 17 ) ) / 16 )

...ish

Jumpguy - for a lot of problems your guesswork/interpolation method works fine but will prob give only one or two solutions.

Note that one or two solutions are likely to be some multiple of "i".... tricky to find by hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Chewbacca.

i'm a bit lost as I can only get x=1 or x=0.35?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

jumpguy wrote: »
    To find the first roots, you need to go trial and error. Try substituting 1 or -1 for x, if you don't get zero, try substituting 2 or -2 for x, and so on. These problems rarely go beyond 3, so that shouldn't take too long.

Once you've found what goes in for x, lets say 2 goes in for x, then x=2. Therefore your factor would be x-2.

Divide the equation you started with by your factor (say if it's x-2), and you'll find the other roots.

Good luck!

EDIT: Just saw 3DataModem's post - am I wrong? :confused:

Dangerous assumptions to be making there!! Only works if the roots are integers and if they're close to zero. For a quadratic of this form (missing the X^3 and x term) you use a substitution, say y=x^2 to solve.

Advertisement