Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biscuit Identification Help Required...

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭

So over Christmas I got a box of Marks And Spencers Belgian Chocolate Biscuits.In the box there was one biscuit that was plain and had no chocolate on it. It was a rectangular cinnamon-ey spicy tasting biscuit with a windmill imprint on the front of it.

Has anyone seen these biscuits for sale in M&S in smaller regular biscuit packets and does anyone know the name of them?

I've been dreaming of them since Christmas. I presumed the yearning would go away but it's 42 mins until February and it seems it will not. Any help appreciated! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

The biscuits you are talking about are Speculaas or sometimes also known as Dutch Windmill biscuits.

I haven't seen them very often in shops in Ireland except some Farmers Markets at Christmas.

I love them and they are pretty easy to make. Just google Speculaas and you'll find plenty of recipes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

Here is one

Ingredients

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
    • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
    • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
    • 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup butter, softened
    • 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
    • 1 egg
    • 1/2 cup sliced almonds

Directions

1. In a medium-sized bowl, mix the flour with spices, baking powder and salt.
    2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and mix well.
    3. Stir in by hand half the flour mixture, then add the remaining flour and almonds. Mix with a wooden spoon or knead with hands.
    4. Divide dough into four parts, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for several hours. (If you are using a mold, chill it as well.)
    5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and grease two cookie sheets.
    6. Remove one quarter of the dough from the refrigerator and flatten it with your hands. Oil your mold and lightly flour it. Using your fingers, press dough firmly into the mold. Trim any excess dough from the mold with a knife.
    7. Transfer the cookies onto greased cookie sheets with a spatula, spacing about one inch apart.
    8. Refrigerate dough trimming to be rerolled later. Lightly flour but do not re-oil cookie mold.
    9. Repeat process with remaining dough. When cookie sheets are full, bake cookies for 20 - 25 minutes or until golden brown around the edges. Store in a covered tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,954 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks a million for the name and for taking the time to give me the recipe Miaireland!

My mouth is watering just reading it. I'll definitely be giving them a shot. No way I can wait until next Christmas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Keep an eye out in Aldi and Lidl I'm not sure but sometimes they might have them outside of Xmas or have some left over still. They're so yummy, I love the ones with the bits of almond in them.

Advertisement