Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP framework question

Options
  • 01-02-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Hi i've been coding for a while now but always use my own functions and routines. I am about to begin developing a site for a property management company and was hoping someone might recommend a framework to do this. If possible can you point out what to watch out for with each framework as I have never used any of these. I have seen Qbox and cakebake (or something along the lines) but cant decipher between them all - the mention MVp but havnt a clue what this is?? Sorry all in a muddle :) Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

To be honest a lot of the frameworks you will probably be referred to on this thread will implement MVC design patterns in their own ways. What I would suggest you do is spend the time understanding "separation of concerns" and the MVC pattern itself before venturing straight in to frameworks like...

Zend, CodeIgniter, CakePHP, etc, etc, etc.

There is nothing like learning through doing for stuff like this, but there does come a time where you should bury your head in some more theoretical stuff instead of brute forcing through trial and error. I'm not trying to slow you down, but don't rush it, because if you have been mashing concerns together up until now, its quite a different way of thinking and is worth understanding properly. It will completely change the way you think about web development....for the better.

Best of luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭swordsinfo

thank you for your very comprehensive reply. I have some background in java development so im picking up on the classes and extends.
    Is there any video tutorials you would recommend - I do a lot of data driven stuff and can see loads of benefits already. Think im am going to go with codeigniter and top up my knowledge with that - you mention separation of concerns - does that mean the controllers loading the views?

Advertisement