Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Outlook Thread: February 2010

Options
  • 01-02-2010 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭

A new model thread for the new month and a place to discuss potential weather outlooks away from the main forecast threads. The first week in Feb looks to bring a gradual change into more unsettled conditions with rain and showers at times. At the moment, the UKMO & ECMWF are hinting at the possibility of some extremely wet weather this coming weekend as more vigorous Atlantic depressions move closer. Way too far out to be certain at this stage though but might be worth keeping an eye on. :)

ECMWF 12z outlook for this coming Saturday:

NSea_2010013112_pmsl_144.png

Will be interesting to see if this more vigorous Atlantic regime sets in as pointed out by the models this evening, or will it be a case of the Euro block holding firm and preventing the break through as has been the case over the last 2 weeks or so.

Only time will tell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

deep easterly,ar we talkin storm chances coz if we lose chance of cold an atlantic storm wud do nicely(still trying to learn the graphs etc.. from u guys,p.s cheers)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

it doesn't look like a storm to me. so nothing to get too excited about just a normal wind event with fairly heavy rain. what is more interesting from my perspective is what happens later in the weekend. this really will be the decisive point in our winter. if the atlantic breaks through the large cold block to the east then it's definitely bye bye cold and welcome to two-three weeks of mild muck.
    the ukmo must feel the block will push westwards. i have some confidence they maybe right considering they were steadast in their prediction that an easterly would not take hold this week and didn't waver in the face of other models showing cold taking hold. it will be interesting to see what joe Bastardi says in his next update.

ps if there is a battleground next weekend then there could be some extremly heavy rain, considering the fronts will coming up from the south.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

it doesn't look like a storm to me. so nothing to get too excited

I wouldnt be excited about a storm, do you hold the same passion for storms as u do for snow?

Pangea wrote: »
    I wouldnt be excited about a storm, do you hold the same passion for storms as u do for snow?

senor pangea, i'm disappointed you even have to ask that question;)

paddy1 wants a storm, and while i do like a storm myself, i'll always take snow and cold over stormy weather

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

paddy1 wants a storm, and while i do like a storm myself, i'll always take snow and cold over stormy weather

Would it be too much to ask if a both, i.e, a snow storm. Storm 11 winds and driving heavy snow at the same time? :o

Only just looked at this morning's ECM. Interesting that once again, the block prevents the real Atlantic force from making much inroads over Ireland this coming weekend. If the block is to exert its full influence over Ireland, then bring it on. But I really hope that if it does stop the Atlantic feed over Ireland, that it will not leave us in another spell of no-mans-landness. All or nothing I say, to hell with the banal and inbetween.

• Advertisement

Would it be too much to ask if a both, i.e, a snow storm. Storm 11 winds and driving heavy snow at the same time? :o

Only just looked at this morning's ECM. Interesting that once again, the block prevents the real Atlantic force from making much inroads over Ireland this coming weekend. If the block is to exert its full influence over Ireland, then bring it on. But I really hope that if it does stop the Atlantic feed over Ireland, that it will not leave us in another spell of no-mans-landness. All or nothing I say, to hell with the banal and inbetween.

i'm afraid it would be living in Ireland:(:(
    yes, i think we all- well those of us who like the cold and snow - would agree with your last statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

The models are looking increasingly cold again. ECM going for an exceptionally cold Easterly period once again next week.

Saturday

Recm1201.gif

Sunday

Recm1441.gif

Monday

Recm1681.gif

Tuesday

Recm1921.gif

Wednesday

Recm2161.gif

Thursday

Recm2401.gif

;)

ECM kills off any hope of anything interesting tonight:

104072.gif

Prevents any Atlantic activity coming close to us. Yes, it has a more easterly flavor in its far reaches once again, but no closer to us than it showed a few days ago. In other words, the same aul nothingness for the foreseeable with average temps and feck all else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

There is consistency now between the ECM 00z and 12z runs. The other models are gradually coming into line. Black Briar will like that above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Holy crap was eating a lump of chicken while looking at 12z ECM and nearly choked.

ECM1-216.GIF?01-0

What a rollercoaster ride this is.

Charts are settling down now and it looks very promising.Nothing nailed yet though.

Anyway if that chart above came off,well................................

• Advertisement

not getting my ticket until i see all the major models in unison over a return of the cold air from europe. also, i await joe bastardi's next update with interest.

Joe is holding my ticket.

He's updated but nothing as regards whats ahead for here.

doesn't look good. surely if he thought there was major cold set to return he'd have mentioned it:(

Yea well maybe he has a headache too with all the models chopping and changing and now that they have settled(HOPEFULLY) he'll issue snowmageddon:D or maybe not.

Im still sitting on the fence too.

redsunset wrote: »

Im still sitting on the fence too.

Make room, I'm climbing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

redsunset wrote: »
    Holy crap was eating a lump of chicken while looking at 12z ECM and nearly choked.

ECM1-216.GIF?01-0

What a rollercoaster ride this is.

Charts are settling down now and it looks very promising.Nothing nailed yet though.

Anyway if that chart above came off,well................................

Don't worry, it won't come off.

I seem to remember reading here last week that there could be a potentially be a very cold period this week. At the moment, we know that temps will rise to 11oC with mild muck by the weekend.

Its like the proverbial donkey and carrot. The colder snowy weather is always next week. Then when that week comes, the Atlantic has roared back in......:cool:

Derek

Well off to work soon,nights ya gotta love em.

0z ECM will be out by the time i get home so i've lit a candle and said a prayer that it don't downgrade:D

3102272043_f57217711d.jpg

derekon wrote: »

Its like the proverbial donkey and carrot. The colder snowy weather is always next week. Then when that week comes, the Atlantic has roared back in......:cool:

Derek

Excellent points. Except that the Atlantic has yet to fully break in yet. We are just getting the odd flit with weak edges at the moment. It is the worst possible set up at the moment. We are neither here nor there. I will take the brunt of either but I can't see much happening weatherwise this week at least. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Excellent points. Except that the Atlantic has yet to fully break in yet. We are just getting the odd flit with weak edges at the moment. It is the worst possible set up at the moment. We are neither here nor there. I will take the brunt of either but I can't see much happening weatherwise this week at least. :(

I agree totally Deep Easterly; would take a strong Atlantic storm ahead of this non descript rubbish we have at the moment. If I am being totally honest, I could not rule out snow during this February.

February has been the best month for the white stuff in Ireland for the past decade or so....:)

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The ECM has a high bringing northerly winds, it sinks north and a low pressure over Europe moves closer bringing easterly winds.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/topkarten/fsecmeur.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Make room, I'm climbing up.
    hope its a big fence,sick of getting hopes up for cold or snow,move over:mad:

surprise, surprise the latest ecm and gfs have backed off an easterly taking hold anytime soon. I always have less confidence in their outputs flipping again to show cold once they go with a milder scenario.
    however i have a feeling if the atlantic doesn't dismantle the block in the next 7-10 days we'll eventually get a colder easterly but it won't last long. Which is in fact the pattern Joe Bastardi outlined from the 12th of January onwards right through till the first week in March.

Which is in fact the pattern Joe Bastardi outlined from the 12th of January onwards right through till the first week in March.
    Alirght already why dont you and joe get a room :P
    lol

Alirght already why dont you and joe get a room :P
    lol

You say that to me after your parapraxis concerning christmas day this year;) Transference maybe:p

but seriously he is the only one to have got the weather right for this winter. paradoxically despite all the uncertainity in the models of late, i think it is becoming increasingly clear that sustained cold will not take hold again this winter. yes, we may get a return of cold continental air but it will be brief. it seems this time we are just the wrong side of the boundaries. i think this winter would have been a really severe winter throughout, to rival those fabled winters, if the core of the cold had remained throughout England rather than in Germany. i say this because we would then more than likely be the battle ground and with cold so close by, we would get significant snow from time to time as the milder air failed to dislodge the cold air over England. sure being so close to the atlantic there would be milder weather but i bet it would be brief. anyway if never won an all-ireland or any sporting event.

seriously he is the only one to have got the weather right for this winter. .

Found a nice room for you and Joe
    51fdv.jpg

ha ha :pac:

Found a nice room for you and Joe
    51fdv.jpg

ha ha :pac:

hahaha.

don't push it senor Pangea;)

ECM tonight back to its original plan. Moderately unsettled throughout and milder than of late:

104208.gif

Back to basics. Hopefully some storm potential will show up in later runs. :o

Wouldn't mind that 1050 pushing west.

104209.JPG

ECM tonight back to its original plan. Moderately unsettled throughout and milder than of late:

104208.gif

Back to basics. Hopefully some storm potential will show up in later runs. :o

you enjoy clutching at straws paddy1;) i was secretly hoping the charts would come back to showing cold taking hold:(
    i think i'll just avoid reading this thread from now on there is less frustration that way:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Looks like this Winter is going wimper out the back door not causing much of a fuss as it goes :(

Advertisement