Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most Entertaining Premiership for ages

• 01-02-2010 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

For pure entertainment surely this has been one of the best premier leauges in ages? I dont know the stats but im almost certain the goals per game is way up on previous seasons. This season has also seen a revival in cup football, with leeds in the fa cup, and the utd city matches in the carling cup. at the top of the premierleauge its hard to predict a winner with the top teams dropping so many points, the battle for 4th will probably go to the last day, a battle which could well involve everton in their current form, and down the bottom all the teams are battling hard and again its near impossible with the exception of pompey to pick a bottom 3. I think its been well publicised that it aint the strongest premier leauge, with ronaldo leaving, and none of the 'big 4' making any significant signings in the transfer windows,(bit early to replace liverpool with city!?) but there has been some brilliant matches, and I hope it continues like this for the rest of this season and from there on.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Jordonvito wrote: »
    For pure entertainment surely this has been one of the best premier leauges in ages? I dont know the stats but im almost certain the goals per game is way up on previous seasons. This season has also seen a revival in cup football, with leeds in the fa cup, and the utd city matches in the carling cup. at the top of the premierleauge its hard to predict a winner with the top teams dropping so many points, the battle for 4th will probably go to the last day, a battle which could well involve everton in their current form, and down the bottom all the teams are battling hard and again its near impossible with the exception of pompey to pick a bottom 3. I think its been well publicised that it aint the strongest premier leauge, with ronaldo leaving, and none of the 'big 4' making any significant signings in the transfer windows,(bit early to replace liverpool with city!?) but there has been some brilliant matches, and I hope it continues like this for the rest of this season and from there on.

I actually think the quality of football is down on recent seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A month ago I probably would've agreed but I think we're seeing things level out to what was expected before the season began. Arsenal won't get a result from Stamford Bridge next week so we're left with Utd vs Chelsea for the title, which we all expected but probably hoped against. City are too inconsistent, Villa lost to Liverpool and Arsenal, Spurs have completely gave up on any fourth place challenge. I can absolutely see Liverpool getting CL qualification and I think a Brian Laws Burnley will go down, which is a shame as they were a real bright spark to the beginning of the season. There's still interesting stories (Evertons resurgence, which should be short-lived if you see their upcoming fixtures) but I'm seeing the pretenders losing their bottle more and more every week now

It's a lot more exciting than Serie A though, Inter tying up their fifth title in a row in mid-bloody-january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Here's a list of the goal per game ratio's of the last 9 or 10 years...

01/02: 2.63
    02/03: 2.64
    03/04: 2.66
    04/05: 2.56
    05/06: 2.48
    06/07: 2.45
    07/08: 2.64
    08/09: 2.48
    09/10: 2.86 (so far)

So yeah definitely in terms of goals per game, this season is miles ahead of anything we've seen before in a long while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I think it's dire.

Rarely is there an entertaining game and listening to Sky hype everything up just makes it worse.

There's very few exciting players to watch and losing the lieks of Ronaldo was a big blow. At least Rooney is a joy to watch though.

Take away an emotional attachment to a team and soccer has become quite boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think it's dire.

Rarely is there an entertaining game and listening to Sky hype everything up just makes it worse.

There's very few exciting players to watch and losing the lieks of Ronaldo was a big blow. At least Rooney is a joy to watch though.

Tit for tat. Last two United games have been great spectacles. But the City v Pompey and Pool vs Bolton were awful to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no.

most matches i've seen are pretty turgid affairs.

and no, that's not just because i support Liverpool. ;)

stats, as usual, mean diddly squat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

The football hasn't been entertaining for the most part but then I've never found the EPL the most watchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

For a neutral its interesting, primarily for the reasons the OP menioned. A 4-way battle for 4th, 3 teams in main title race, and then finding out who Leeds will be playing in the Championship next season:D

Doesn't mean the quality is in any way good though.

No, it's shíte this year !! :p

Honestly though, defences seem to be dire in general and a lot more goals being scored.

Everything is more open this season from the title to CL places to relegation. It makes for a great finish to the season tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Standard of defending even amongst the top teams such as United, Liverpool and Arsenal and at times Chelsea has been dire. Makes for more goals per game etc but in general, quality is way down, hence dross like Spurs still being close to 4th and Liverpool not being dead and buried in the same race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Entertaining for everyone but Pool fans. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭antod

I think it's dire.

well said i agree with you there,alot of the games in the league were dire to watch this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Unfortunately it's been interesting for the wrong reasons for me, Pompey clinging to existence, Liverpool one bad season (or less) from the same, United seemingly close to the same also but currently kept afloat by their massive revenues. Lower league clubs going into administration left right and centre. A selection of the world's worst people making vast, vast sums of money from it all, at the expense of millions of fans. City, 'nuff said.

On top of that, the usual suspects are slowly filtering through to their expected positions, although a reshuffle of the deck is imminent surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

A month ago I probably would've agreed but I think we're seeing things level out to what was expected before the season began. Arsenal won't get a result from Stamford Bridge next week so we're left with Utd vs Chelsea for the title, which we all expected but probably hoped against. City are too inconsistent, Villa lost to Liverpool and Arsenal, Spurs have completely gave up on any fourth place challenge. I can absolutely see Liverpool getting CL qualification and I think a Brian Laws Burnley will go down, which is a shame as they were a real bright spark to the beginning of the season. There's still interesting stories (Evertons resurgence, which should be short-lived if you see their upcoming fixtures) but I'm seeing the pretenders losing their bottle more and more every week now

It's a lot more exciting than Serie A though, Inter tying up their fifth title in a row in mid-bloody-january

Are Spurs not 4th at the moment?

I wouldnt say theyve given up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

steps_3314 wrote: »
    Are Spurs not 4th at the moment?

I wouldnt say theyve given up.
    Spurs fans should worry about not beating Stoke, Wolves or Hull at home though. Not like the games get any easier.

I think what this season has had that maybe others haven't, is that any team can on their day, beat any other team. Pompey are well and truly doomed IMHO but they were arguably the better side until City scored yesterday and could've had a penalty. They also ran Chelsea close and battered Liverpool. As for whether this is or isn't the most entertaining league for years, I think it's up there but 96/97 and 04/05 are streets ahead (Newcastle in the first and all of the relegation places going to the last day in the latter).

The first half of the season was refreshing with some of the results that have cropped up but since Christmas the results have been more like we would expect. There's always going to be a few more stings in the tail but I would be surprised if Burnley didn't go down for example.

Advertisement